Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Few starter's questions on SysML
Few starter's questions on SysML [message #1674579] Sat, 14 March 2015 20:26 Go to next message
Adrian LastName is currently offline Adrian LastNameFriend
Hello everyone,

I am going to work on a model and simulation for a waste managment plant for my Master's thesis. For this, I am currently looking into SysML/Papyrus and Simulink/Matlab. I am planning to build a model of the plant and simulate both material and energy flows throughout the plant.

I know Matlab quite well, Simulink not so much, and just spent about a week getting to know Papyrus. Now, there are a few questions I'd be very glad to have answered:

1) I will be interested in flows mostly, and those can be quite complex. In Matlab, I could always opt for describing the flow as an array, which will give me the possibilities to describe some attributes numerically (e.g. total flow, glas content) and some as strings (e.g. heavy metal content: "high"). Now, I am able to define my own "types" in SysML as well, but would that work in such complexity and flexibility?
And, if I got a module that should perform an action on such a flow, what possibilities do I have to do that? For example, would something along the lines of "if the metal content is "high", then sort the material flow into 2 different flows with [whatever composition to be defined]" be possible?

2) I did not find out yet how values are handled by Papyrus, and whether or how they can be exported. I am asking, because I am thinking about the possibility of integrating Matlab and Papyrus: A lot of simulation work has already been done on different modules of a waste managment plant. Mostly, this is written using Matlab. I am hoping to have the possibility of designing one module of the plant as a black box, with the input streams being given to Matlab, where they can be processed, feeding the output back into the Papyrus model. All I can find on this topic are very academical papers which I, frankly, have trouble following.

As you can probably see from my questions, I still have a very unclear picture of what SysML in general and Papyrus especially is capable of. Clearing just that up would help me a lot already, though. And if anyone knows any good, thorough tutorials on Papyrus, feel free to name them! All I found was very basic (safe for one youtube tutorial by Marco di Natale, which I can recommend to any other starter reading this).

Thank you very much already! Good weekend to everyone,
Adrian
Re: Few starter's questions on SysML [message #1690299 is a reply to message #1674579] Thu, 26 March 2015 12:39 Go to previous message
Quentin Carpentier is currently offline Quentin CarpentierFriend
Hi..

As far as I know, Matlab and the SysML language don't have the same objectives...
Did you ever make a choice ?

In SysML, you can have structural diagrams and behaviourals diagrams, so I think that for you first question, the answer is yes....
But I'm just a starter on SysML... And never used Papyrus.
Previous Topic:Create new edges like DeriveRqt, Refine, etc
Next Topic:Brand new on Papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 21:42:02 GMT 2024