Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging?(Remote and embedded debugging seems possible in normal Eclipse, but not in "Standalone Debugger".)
icon5.gif  How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1629508] Sun, 22 February 2015 18:52 Go to next message
Stefan Lanzinger is currently offline Stefan LanzingerFriend
Hello!

I'm writing software for ARM Cortex-M4 microcontroller. Depending on the project, my code runs bare-metal directly on the microcontroller or on µClinux. Project management and project build are done outside of Eclipse. I would like to use Eclipse solely for the purpose of debugging.

After some googling, I thought that Eclipse Standalone Debugger (wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/StandaloneDebugger) is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, after installing it, it now seems to me that the Standalone debugger can only debug applications which are running directly on the debug host.

It is my understanding, that Embedded projects (with remote targets) with architectures other than the debugging host don't seem to be supported.
Is that correct?

In "normal" Eclipse, embedded debugging of ARM projects is allegedly possible when installing following plugins:

• C/C++ GCC Cross Compiler Support
  • C/C++ GDB Hardware Debugging

They are installed in my Eclipse installation, however, when starting the Standalone Debugger, they seem to be deactivated.

Is it possible to activate them somehow?
Can anyone point me towards other useful information which could help me to use Eclipse solely for the purpose of debugging?

[Updated on: Mon, 23 February 2015 20:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1632766 is a reply to message #1629508] Tue, 24 February 2015 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Hi Stefan,

Remote debugging support was recently added to the Standalone Debugger: https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn86#Remote_debugging_support_in_the_Standalone_Debugger
The official release for it is this Friday the 27th of February. But you could upgrade it already on your current installation using CDT's download site: http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/builds/luna/milestones

I hope this works for you.

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1633270 is a reply to message #1629508] Tue, 24 February 2015 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lanzinger is currently offline Stefan LanzingerFriend
Hi Marc!

Wow. Honestly... I'm totally surprised and overwhelmed. I upgraded as described, and debugging worked on the first attempt. After quite a couple of weekends of making progress and having setbacks with other debuggers like GDB-TUI, DDD, Nemiver or Insight, the absolutely last thing I expected was Eclipse-standalone-debugger to just work.

For all those who're finding this thread on Google: The only thing I had to adjust was the GDB Eclipse should use. Of course, Eclipse has to use the GDB of my ARM toolchain instead of the x86-GDB. The option to change is in the debugger configuration dialogue.

There are a couple of things I still have to figure out how to do properly (like resetting the target, i. e.), but I suppose I'll figure that out soon!

Thanks for your reply! That made my day! Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 24 February 2015 19:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1695387 is a reply to message #1633270] Wed, 13 May 2015 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger Clark is currently offline Roger ClarkFriend
Hi,

Just to piggy back on this thread, as I'm looking for the same thing...

I'd like to debug STM32 based ARM Cortex M3 and M4 devices.

I have a setup already where I'm using an STLIink (hardware) to connect to the board, and I'm using texane stlink (st-util) (github.com/texane/stlink) which provides the TCP server interface to GDB

I can then run the ARM version of GDB from the command line and debug on manually in GDB

I'd love to be able to do this using the Eclipse Standalone debugger

But I have a few problems

1. Is the standalone debugger available for Windows ?

Under linux there's a script to "install" the debugger, (which seems to set up a load of directories and a startup script) but there doesnt seem to be a way to do this on windows

2. Even on Linux, I cant find any solid documentation / step by step on how to configure the standalone debugger

Can anyone help on either of these points ??

Thanks

Roger

Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1695853 is a reply to message #1695387] Tue, 19 May 2015 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The current version of the CDT Standalone debugger uses scripts that only work on Linux.
Some documentation here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/StandaloneDebugger

However, CDT committers are working on a RCP version of the Standalone debugger that should work on Windows.
It should be ready by the next Eclipse/CDT release June 24th, 2015.

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1695874 is a reply to message #1695853] Tue, 19 May 2015 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc,

Thanks for the update.

I look forward to giving it a try on Windows

BTW. One issue I had with trying to get other GUI debuggers to work on Windows has been full paths to the source files listed in the ELF file e.g.

C:\Users\admina\AppData\Local\Temp\xxx.c etc

So fingers crossed this won't be an issue

Thanks

Roger
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1695961 is a reply to message #1695874] Wed, 20 May 2015 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

CDT does debug on Windows and handles the paths, slashes, and spaces properly (although it took some effort Smile), so the Standalone debugger will not have a problem with that, as it is just a simple way to launch the same CDT.

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1701732 is a reply to message #1695853] Wed, 15 July 2015 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam wrote on Tue, 19 May 2015 19:21
The current version of the CDT Standalone debugger uses scripts that only work on Linux.
Some documentation here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/StandaloneDebugger

However, CDT committers are working on a RCP version of the Standalone debugger that should work on Windows.
It should be ready by the next Eclipse/CDT release June 24th, 2015.

Marc

Marc, I see the new version was released, can you tell me whether the debugger made it into the 8.7 release, as I can't find any release note on 8.7

Or just let me know where I can find the release notes

Thanks

Roger
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1701762 is a reply to message #1701732] Wed, 15 July 2015 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Roger,

The RCP Standalone debugger is now released and you can get it from: https://eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php
You can find the release notes here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn87

Enjoy!

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1701763 is a reply to message #1701762] Wed, 15 July 2015 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again Roger,

I just realized that you are using Windows. The RCP Debugger is only built for Linux at the moment. I'll contact the person that worked on it to know about a Windows version.

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1702080 is a reply to message #1701763] Sun, 19 July 2015 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart AW is currently offline Stuart AWFriend

I think you may find that there are quite a few interested parties waiting in the wings for this.

I have been using it under linux however since I am forced to have about 80% of my dev tools under windows for embedded development (thanks for windows specific tools from vendors, damn it) thats makes some things challenging.

Any updated would, I am sure, be warmly received!
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1702183 is a reply to message #1702080] Mon, 20 July 2015 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've started the discussion amongst the developers and we'll try to get the Standalone Debugger for Windows in the next release of CDT.
(first few exchange of this: https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-dev/msg29353.html)

As you can see from the email thread, it just wasn't clear that people wanted this. It is good that you mentioned you would want it.

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1702244 is a reply to message #1702183] Tue, 21 July 2015 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, perhaps we should have made more noise Wink

I suspect the majority use for it under windows is for external embedded use.

Windows is seriously limited in usable GDB frontends, especially non proprietary ones, and unfortunately also there are quite a few toolchains that force you to use windows for one reason or another.
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1702245 is a reply to message #1702244] Tue, 21 July 2015 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys

I think there would be considerable interest in the Arduino STM32 community for this, as a lot of people have the necessary hardware, but are not keen to use the command line gdb (me included)

You may also find some interest from Arduino Zero users, as Arduino.cc is pushing people to the proprietary Atmel Studio if they want to do in-circuit debugging, but as most Arduino users like it because of its open source nature - using Atmel Studio seems like a retrograde step in terms of openness

Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1703226 is a reply to message #1702245] Wed, 29 July 2015 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The CDT committer behind the RCP Debugger just added support for Windows since there is demand for it.

As of the next release of CDT, version 8.8, end of September 2015, "the C/C++ Stand-alone Debugger RCP is available for Windows (previously Linux only). Once extracted, it can be started by simply launching the cdtdebug.exe executable."
https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn88

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1703229 is a reply to message #1703226] Wed, 29 July 2015 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, confirmation of the work was posted here: https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-dev/msg29420.html

Marc
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1707774 is a reply to message #1703229] Wed, 09 September 2015 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am probably bring a bit thick (that happens quite a bit these days..) however having seen the updates on this, and being very excited to give it a try, I have been running the latest CDT standalone testing install (8.8.0.201509041004 I have right now) in mars.

Now, I would have thought that should package the changes for windows startup support, however for the life of me I cannot find such capability.

I am sure I should just be waiting for the release near the end of the month, however I am at a loss to understand what is missing - there seems not equivalent to the startup shell scripts as used in linux.

I can find no source of cdtdebug.exe ?

I will keep hoping, roll on release day.
Re: How can I use Eclipse Standalone Debugger for embedded debugging? [message #1707806 is a reply to message #1707774] Wed, 09 September 2015 13:22 Go to previous message
Not thick at all, the Standalone debugger situation is a bit confusing. There are two types of the C/C++ Standalone debugger. The first and original one, is a linux script that allows you to launch the debugger from the command line; this one is part of a full Eclipse installation of CDT (and whatever else you'd like to install). What I mean is that you install eclipse and CDT to use as a full IDE and then launch the standalone debugger using a script that is packaged with the installation. This only works for Linux.

The second type, which came after, is a Rich Client Platform application that contains only the C/C++ debugger. This is an separate installation altogether and you have to specifically download its package. This is the one that now works on windows (as for the upcoming CDT 8.Cool. You download the C/C++ standalone debugger zip file, extract it and launch it using the cdtdebug.exe executable. You will soon be able to find the zip file on the CDT download page (the release is Sept 24th, 2015):
https://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php

But you can get a pre-release here:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/builds/mars/milestones/ur1-rc3/rcp/?d
and then choose the 32 or 64 bit windows package.

Enjoy!

Marc
Previous Topic:Remote Debug - upload with simple FTP
Next Topic:Eclipse: Internal error building project <project> configuration Debug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:12:24 GMT 2024