Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Room, zone etc.
Room, zone etc. [message #1609638] Tue, 10 February 2015 08:39 Go to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi,

I am learning the core o fthe smarthome and one thing I currently cannot find is where do I store information like room or zone and how can I manage it (as I understand it is somehow should be binded to a THING).

Thx
Re: Room, zone etc. [message #1611601 is a reply to message #1609638] Wed, 11 February 2015 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hi Eyal,

Rooms and zones are nothing else but Group items in Eclipse SmartHome, i.e. a named set of items. So this grouping is done on a "functional" level and not on a physical (=thing) level.

A more powerful "location" concept is still on the roadmap to be implemented, see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=443908. But this should go well beyond the notion of rooms and rather allow context-aware rules etc.

Regards,
Kai
Re: Room, zone etc. [message #1613007 is a reply to message #1611601] Thu, 12 February 2015 10:49 Go to previous message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Room and zone from my perspective are not physical device level (as they are not being sent to the physical device), and I agree to your view. As I understand, items which are physical device level connected to the Thing via channel.
So, In that case, does it mean that GroupItem which holds room, zoon etc. are not connected to the Thing via a channel?

Previous Topic:Access protocol bindings from middlewares
Next Topic:Item channel link
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 17:47:44 GMT 2024