Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Run / Debug configuration
Run / Debug configuration [message #1603940] Fri, 06 February 2015 14:17 Go to next message
Ja Baa is currently offline Ja BaaFriend
Hi,

I have a Release and a Debug configuration in my project. When I run my application, I want to start the Release build. For debug I want to start the Debug build.

I set the configuration to Release and the Release was build. Then I set the configuration to Debug and the Debug was build. But when I try to debug my application, the Release is started. So I changed the debug configuration to Debug. Next I tried to run the Release, but the Debug was started. So I changed the run configuration to Release. I saw, that I can only change both configurations concurrently. Is there a way to change the path of the application by only change the active configuration?

Regards

[Updated on: Fri, 06 February 2015 14:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Run / Debug configuration [message #1725050 is a reply to message #1603940] Mon, 29 February 2016 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acru Jovian is currently offline Acru JovianFriend
I'm looking for an answer to this exactly...

There has to be an easier way than having to select the debug configuration to debug and the run configuration to run, every time.

To put it another way, the run history is the same history as the debug history, rather than separate...

Can anyone help?
Re: Run / Debug configuration [message #1725085 is a reply to message #1725050] Mon, 29 February 2016 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
There is only one launch configuration which is used for both debugging and running. So, whatever the last program configuration chosen will be the one used. If you want something different, you should submit a change request.

FWIW: I've never seen much advantage to running a program from within an IDE anyway except to see that it actually runs. The debug information inserted by the GNU tool chain is non-intrusive so I usually leave it in even for production code.. If you have a real difference between Debug and Release then they are different programs. What's the point of debugging program A then guessing how it applies to B?

Re: Run / Debug configuration [message #1725119 is a reply to message #1725085] Tue, 01 March 2016 00:17 Go to previous message
Acru Jovian is currently offline Acru JovianFriend
Well, I do have one project where the debug/profiling code overhead is significant enough that I don't want it running unless I'm debugging. I suppose I could make a debug-light build though, for general testing.
Previous Topic:Problems with ARM debugging
Next Topic:Help in setting up remote debugging on ARM Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:39:54 GMT 2024