Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » How To Start
How To Start [message #1600908] Wed, 04 February 2015 15:28 Go to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi,

Is there any basic example how to start building an IoT application build upon SmartHome framework?

Thx
Re: How To Start [message #1601062 is a reply to message #1600908] Wed, 04 February 2015 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Hi,

it depends on what kind of application you want build. An own Smart Home solution? open source or commercial?

The openHAB2 project is one example for an open source solution (https://github.com/openhab/openhab2). Some topics which are relevant for Smart Home solutions are not covered by Eclipse SmartHome - like Gateway management and backend communication. But the Eclipse IoT Project (http://iot.eclipse.org/) provides good examples how to combine different Frameworks to an IoT application.

Regards

Dennis
Re: How To Start [message #1601088 is a reply to message #1601062] Wed, 04 February 2015 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Thx for your reply

I am checking the option to use part of the SmrtHome framework for my project. Mainly I want the following (core) parts: Thihngs, automation, persistence.

I am not interested at this stage with cloud, restapi (etc) and the smarthome ui.

I also try to understand if it is possible to use the core features without bundles.

I know that i have "strange" requirements but I ma trying not to write my project from scratch and to gain some benfit from the open source.

Re: How To Start [message #1602718 is a reply to message #1601088] Thu, 05 February 2015 19:14 Go to previous message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Eclipse SmartHome is very modular. So you can use the core parts without the other bundles. The smallest subset, that should work independently are the following bundles (and its dependencies):

org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core
org.eclipse.smarthome.core
org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library
org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing

The current rule engine has dependencies to Xtext, which again has a lot of dependencies. But in the next months there will be a complete new rule engine with less dependencies.
Previous Topic:RequiredExecutionEnvironment
Next Topic:Access protocol bindings from middlewares
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:17:00 GMT 2024