Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully
Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1593197] Fri, 30 January 2015 13:27 Go to next message
Dave Hartnoll is currently offline Dave HartnollFriend
I'm interesting in using Oomph to install a suitable development environment for an RCP-based product. As part of the learning process I'm trying to see how it works for some Eclipse projects but I can't get any kind of installation to complete successfully.

I'm using version 1.0.0 Build 876 on Windows 7 64-bit.

I've tried a few different versions of Eclipse (RCP/RAP, Standard, Committers) and different projects (Oomph, Vex) with and without target platforms being selected (Luna, Mars, None), but I always get the same error at the "Performing Targlets (...)" stage. This stack trace is from the Committers + Oomph + Mars combination:
Performing Targlets (Eclipse Platform + Oomph)
Cannot complete the request.  Generating details.
ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director code=10053 Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  at org.eclipse.oomph.targlets.internal.core.TargletContainer.forceUpdate(TargletContainer.java:656)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.targlets.impl.TargletTaskImpl$4.run(TargletTaskImpl.java:980)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.util.pde.TargetPlatformUtil.runWithTargetPlatformService(TargetPlatformUtil.java:125)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.targlets.impl.TargletTaskImpl.perform(TargletTaskImpl.java:905)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.doPerformNeededSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2755)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.access$1(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2715)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer$WorkspaceUtil$1.run(SetupTaskPerformer.java:3768)
  at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2313)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer$WorkspaceUtil.performNeededSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:3762)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer$WorkspaceUtil.access$0(SetupTaskPerformer.java:3760)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.performNeededSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2706)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.performTriggeredSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2681)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.perform(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2620)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.wizards.ProgressPage$9.run(ProgressPage.java:523)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.wizards.ProgressPage$11$1.run(ProgressPage.java:608)
  at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
  ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director code=0 Software being installed: artificial_root 1.0.0.v1422623236823
  ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director code=0 Missing requirement: artificial_root 1.0.0.v1422623236823 requires 'org.eclipse.oomph.all.feature.group 0.0.0' but it could not be found

Am I doing something wrong?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2015 13:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1593389 is a reply to message #1593197] Fri, 30 January 2015 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Dave,

I just tried it here and it works perfectly for me. Can you find the Git clone on your disk? Is it intact?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Am 30.01.2015 um 14:28 schrieb Dave Hartnoll:
> I'm interesting in using Oomph to install a suitable development environment for an RCP-based product. As part of the
> learning process I'm trying to see how it works for some Eclipse projects but I can't get any kind of installation to
> complete successfully.
>
> I'm using version 1.0.0 Build 876.
>
> I've tried a few different versions of Eclipse (RCP/RAP, Standard, Committers) and different projects (Oomph, Vex)
> with and without target platforms being selected (Luna, Mars, None), but I always get the same error at the
> "Performing Targlets (...)" stage. This stack trace is from the Committers + Oomph + Mars combination:
>
> Performing Targlets (Eclipse Platform + Oomph)
> ..
> ..
> Cannot complete the request. Generating details.
> ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director code=10053 Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could
> not be found.
> at org.eclipse.oomph.targlets.internal.core.TargletContainer.forceUpdate(TargletContainer.java:656)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.targlets.impl.TargletTaskImpl$4.run(TargletTaskImpl.java:980)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.util.pde.TargetPlatformUtil.runWithTargetPlatformService(TargetPlatformUtil.java:125)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.targlets.impl.TargletTaskImpl.perform(TargletTaskImpl.java:905)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.doPerformNeededSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2755)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.access$1(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2715)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer$WorkspaceUtil$1.run(SetupTaskPerformer.java:3768)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2313)
> at
> org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer$WorkspaceUtil.performNeededSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:3762)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer$WorkspaceUtil.access$0(SetupTaskPerformer.java:3760)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.performNeededSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2706)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.performTriggeredSetupTasks(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2681)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.internal.core.SetupTaskPerformer.perform(SetupTaskPerformer.java:2620)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.wizards.ProgressPage$9.run(ProgressPage.java:523)
> at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.wizards.ProgressPage$11$1.run(ProgressPage.java:608)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
> ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director code=0 Software being installed: artificial_root 1.0.0.v1422623236823
> ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director code=0 Missing requirement: artificial_root 1.0.0.v1422623236823 requires
> 'org.eclipse.oomph.all.feature.group 0.0.0' but it could not be found
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>

Re: Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1593414 is a reply to message #1593389] Fri, 30 January 2015 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The git clone has worked well as far as I can tell and appears to be intact.

These are the 'Variable' settings I used:
Installation location rule: ${install.root/}${installation.id}
Installation folder name: eclipse_oomph
Root install folder: d:
Workspace location rule: ${installation.location/ws}
Git clone location rule: ${installation.location/git/}${@id.remoteURI|gitRepository}
Target PLatform: Mars
Oomph Git or Gerrit Repository: git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph
JRE 1.5 Location: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_25
Eclipse user ID: anonymous

Just to be sure, I started with a completely fresh auto-unpacking of oomph-extractor-win64.exe and removed all remnants of .p2 and .eclipse folders from previous tries.

I get the same error every time (except when I skip the choosing of projects - then it works to install the bare Eclipse).

Is there some log file I could send or some other way I can help track this down?
Re: Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1599439 is a reply to message #1593414] Tue, 03 February 2015 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm banging my head against the wall with this problem.

I can successfully install the Committers + Oomph + Mars combination as detailed in the original post on the following platforms:
OS X 64-bit, Oomph 1.0.0 Build 881
Linux 32-bit (VM), Oomph 1.1.0 Build 884
Windows XP 32-bit (VM), Oomph 1.1.0 Build 884
However, it will not complete successfully on my actual work PC where I want it:
Windows 7 64-bit, Oomph 1.1.0 Build 884

The error is always as detailed in the original post (except that the qualifier for artificial_root changes).

One significant difference is that the Win 7 PC is multi-core so I wondered whether a race condition might exist somewhere. I did try limiting the running Eclipse to a single core but that didn't change anything.

I'd appreciate any pointers towards what I should look at or try next.

On a separate note, I experienced a couple of other issues as well:

1. On the Mac, I tried to use ~ as the Root install folder (and eclipse_oomph as the Installation folder name). This caused all sorts of problems, the most bizarre being that the new eclipse_oomph folder was created inside the running Oomph.app package. The git clone also did not work. I tried again with the Root install folder set to /Users/Dave and everything worked fine.

2. I noticed what when a task fails, you get the option to go back to make changes. However, when you go back, the failed task is no longer in the list. You can simply click Finish and setup continues with the next task. That doesn't seem right to me.

Shall I create Bugzillas for any or all of these issues?
Re: Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1599474 is a reply to message #1599439] Tue, 03 February 2015 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am 03.02.2015 um 17:36 schrieb Dave Hartnoll:
> I'm banging my head against the wall with this problem.
>
> I can successfully install the Committers + Oomph + Mars combination as detailed in the original post on the following
> platforms:
> OS X 64-bit, Oomph 1.0.0 Build 881
> Linux 32-bit (VM), Oomph 1.1.0 Build 884
> Windows XP 32-bit (VM), Oomph 1.1.0 Build 884
> However, it will not complete successfully on my actual work PC where I want it:
> Windows 7 64-bit, Oomph 1.1.0 Build 884
Maybe it's not a matter of the OS or architecture but something on (or not on) that particular box?

> The error is always as detailed in the original post (except that the qualifier for artificial_root changes).
The artificial_root is an IU that's generated on the fly when the p2 profile is created or updated.

> One significant difference is that the Win 7 PC is multi-core so I wondered whether a race condition might exist
> somewhere. I did try limiting the running Eclipse to a single core but that didn't change anything.
I doubt that the number of cores is relevant here.

> I'd appreciate any pointers towards what I should look at or try next.
I just can't imagine of a possible cause for this problem that happens only on one specific machine ;-(

> On a separate note, I experienced a couple of other issues as well:
>
> 1. On the Mac, I tried to use ~ as the Root install folder (and eclipse_oomph as the Installation folder name). This
> caused all sorts of problems, the most bizarre being that the new eclipse_oomph folder was created inside the running
> Oomph.app package. The git clone also did not work. I tried again with the Root install folder set to /Users/Dave and
> everything worked fine.
Strange. I'll have to try it on a Mac...

> 2. I noticed what when a task fails, you get the option to go back to make changes. However, when you go back, the
> failed task is no longer in the list. You can simply click Finish and setup continues with the next task. That doesn't
> seem right to me.
That might indicate that the task hasn't properly cleanup up some partial disk state. Without knowing what task exactly
failed and how it's hard for me to judge.

> Shall I create Bugzillas for any or all of these issues?
Yes, please.

Cheers
/Eike

----

Re: Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1602123 is a reply to message #1599474] Thu, 05 February 2015 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have uncovered the root cause of the P2 installation errors. More details here:

bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=459118

The bugzilla for using ~ as a root install folder on the Mac is here:

bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=459116

Re: Cannot complete a provisioning operation successfully [message #1602201 is a reply to message #1602123] Thu, 05 February 2015 11:35 Go to previous message
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the in-depth analysis. I think that's something I can go on with...

Cheers
/Eike

----

Am 05.02.2015 um 11:37 schrieb Dave Hartnoll:
> I have uncovered the root cause of the P2 installation errors. More details here:
>
> bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=459118
>
> The bugzilla for using ~ as a root install folder on the Mac is here:
>
> bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=459116
>
>
>

Previous Topic:Open User Dialog
Next Topic:Variables showing multiple times during setup
Goto Forum: