Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Access protocol bindings from middlewares
Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1589483] Wed, 28 January 2015 13:24 Go to next message
Max Geissler is currently offline Max GeisslerFriend
Hello,

i would like to access sensors and actuators from a middleware (DS2OS).

What is the best way to access the devices?
Should I use the protocol bindings directly or the EventBus or the Item Repository?
Or should I do it the other way round by writing a ESH protocol binding for DS2OS?

Regards,
Max
Re: Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1589573 is a reply to message #1589483] Wed, 28 January 2015 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hi Max,

I do not know DS2OS. How can it be accessed? In general I would suggest to go for a normal ESH binding, unless you see any reasons why this might not be a good match.

Regards,
Kai
Re: Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1591014 is a reply to message #1589573] Thu, 29 January 2015 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am working on a bachelor's thesis concerning gateways to access devices (sensors/actuators) from middlewares.

From the developer's page for DS2OS (Distributed Smart Space Orchestration System):
"It provides a basic middleware for storing and brokering state context between multiple computation devices (e.g computers, embedded controllers)".
DS2OS can be accessed through the implementation of services for it.

The idea is to create a gateway that provides connectors to different middlewares. This allows the middlewares to access devices via the gateway.
It would be nice to (re)-use the ESH protocol bindings for accessing the devices.

When implementing an ESH binding for DS2OS, how would the binding enumerate and access all other devices connected to ESH?

[Updated on: Thu, 29 January 2015 09:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1591086 is a reply to message #1591014] Thu, 29 January 2015 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Still not sure, if I understand the setup. Gateway and middleware are two very similar concepts. So you have ONE gateway with ESH and devices connected to it. Then you have MULTIPLE middlewares with DS2OS from which you want to access devices that are available on the ESH gateway? In this case, you would probably not want to do a binding, but rather make use of the REST API of ESH.
Re: Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1591222 is a reply to message #1591086] Thu, 29 January 2015 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the setup is like you described it.
However the gateway is intended to be used with different middlewares, DS2OS only being one of them.
So there is one gateway with ESH and devices connected to it. Then we have e.g. 4 instances of middleware A and 5 instances of middleware B (e.g. B is DS2OS) connected to it.

The REST API seems to be a good starting point. Is there a documentation available for it?
Re: Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1608458 is a reply to message #1591222] Mon, 09 February 2015 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a documentation for the REST API of openHAB v1.
Unfortunately, I can't post links on this forum, so here are the addresses:
github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/REST-API
github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Samples-REST

The REST API of Eclipse SmartHome seems to be similar.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 February 2015 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Access protocol bindings from middlewares [message #1612094 is a reply to message #1608458] Wed, 11 February 2015 20:40 Go to previous message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Yes exactly. The REST API of Eclipse SmartHome has the same resources as openHAB1. But there are a lot of additional resources for accessing things and managing items. We are working on a documentation. But if working with items is sufficient, you could use the documentation of openHAB1 for the moment.
Previous Topic:How To Start
Next Topic:Room, zone etc.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:59:37 GMT 2024