Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » RTC Version 4.05(Debug Birt Reports in Eclipse)
RTC Version 4.05 [message #1588721] Wed, 28 January 2015 03:29 Go to next message
Venkata ANIL BABU is currently offline Venkata ANIL BABUFriend
I want to know how we can debug Birt Reports in the Eclipse 4.05 Client.I think we are using java script but alert or any message statements are not working so i created a variable and how it is initializing i want to know during execution of the report.Is there any way where we can debug the script.
Re: RTC Version 4.05 [message #1589663 is a reply to message #1588721] Wed, 28 January 2015 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

The general way that I've seen others debug script within a BIRT report (this is also what I do) is to run eclipsec.exe vs eclipse.exe. This runs a separate console where you can use System.out.println("whatever") to output to the console helping to debug your script. Not sure how this works with RTC as I've never used it, but you could always download a standalone copy of Eclipse/BIRT to do your script error testing. Hope this helps.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: RTC Version 4.05 [message #1591460 is a reply to message #1588721] Thu, 29 January 2015 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Sheets is currently offline Jerry SheetsFriend
I found the attached code in the book "LeBIRT Expert Guide to BIRT Best Practices" by David Mehi and it works great. It produces a popup window. You can't set breakpoints, but I have found it very helpful.

I also found the following code in another forum post. It works well, but I personally prefer the Le BIRT method.

The following code in the ReportDesign.initialize method creates a file on your hard drive and adds one line to the file.
importPackage( Packages.java.io );
fos = new java.io.FileOutputStream( "c:\\BIRTlogFile.txt" );
printWriter = new java.io.PrintWriter( fos );
printWriter.println( "ReportDesign.initialize" );

For every method that you want to track, provide a single statement generating a line of output to your log file, as shown in the following statement:
printWriter.println( "Table.onRow" );

The following statement in the ReportDesign.afterFactory method closes the file.
printWriter.close( );

Re: RTC Version 4.05 [message #1591671 is a reply to message #1591460] Thu, 29 January 2015 17:25 Go to previous message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Yep. I've seen that way as well. Glad you found something to work for you. Smile

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Previous Topic:Manage pagination for tables
Next Topic:Crosstab taking average of averages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:16:25 GMT 2024