Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Different properties view?
Different properties view? [message #1571912] Sun, 18 January 2015 23:09 Go to next message
Max Bureck is currently offline Max BureckFriend
Hi,

I just started to use Sirius to define a graphical editor for Odesign models themselves. It can be used to define nodes, edges and their styles for layers, to get a quicker visual feedback on how the (static) styles look like. It's available here:
https://github.com/Boereck/odesign-designer

But the editing experience suffers, because the graphical editor is not connected to the properties view of the "Viewpoint Specification Editor" (the default editor for .odesign models). Is there a possibility to make the graphical editor contribute the same UI to the properties view as the "Viewpoint Specification Editor"?

Thanks and best regards,
Max
Re: Different properties view? [message #1573350 is a reply to message #1571912] Mon, 19 January 2015 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way: It looks like changes made through the editor on the Odesign model are not saved when saving in the graphical editor. Do Odesign models have to be treated specially when serializing them or so? I did not encounter this behavior when working with own meta models.
Re: Different properties view? [message #1576788 is a reply to message #1573350] Wed, 21 January 2015 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Monnier is currently offline Steve MonnierFriend
Hello,

Unfortunately, using Sirius to represent Odesign model is not well
supported because Sirius manage odesign models differently than other
models for various reasons like performances.
However, if you want to produce a new user interface (or only new
properties view) to edit odesign models you can take a look to the EEF
framework (https://eclipse.org/eef/).

Best regards,
Steve

Le 19/01/2015 18:46, Max Bureck a écrit :
> By the way: It looks like changes made through the editor on the Odesign
> model are not saved when saving in the graphical editor. Do Odesign
> models have to be treated specially when serializing them or so? I did
> not encounter this behavior when working with own meta models.

--
Steve Monnier - Obeo

Need professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius

Steve Monnier - Obeo Canada
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
Re: Different properties view? [message #1577192 is a reply to message #1576788] Wed, 21 January 2015 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Steve,

The properties view in the "Viewpoint Specification Editor" is actually pretty damn good, so I don't see the need to create an own one (at least for this, or other tree based editors).

I actually got very far in creating the designer for Odesign, It can already display and edit a lot, but the most severe thing is that it cannot really save.
Somehow I feel (without knowing the insides of the implementation of the Odesign meta model and surrounding technologies) that serializing a valid instance of that meta model should not be a difficult thing. I even can open an Odesign model with the "Sample Reflective Ecore Model Editor", make changes and save it again.

I can imagine that the "Viewpoint Specification Editor" and it's properties view have a lot of magic inside and it would be hard to re-use parts of it. So I could consider learning how to use EEF to create a properties view for my graphical editor. But as long as the graphical editor is not able to save, this is kind of pointless. The properties view for the "Viewpoint Specification Editor" is awesome (you fellas did a really great job!), so it does not need a replacement.

Cheers,
Max
Re: Different properties view? [message #1585820 is a reply to message #1577192] Mon, 26 January 2015 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I debugged the Sirius code to determine why changes to .odesign files are not saved. In method
org.eclipse.sirius.business.internal.session.danalysis.ResourceSaveDiagnose#isSaveable()
There is an explicit check if a file to be saved is an Odesign model. If this is the case, the method returns false.
I was not able to get in this state, without explicitly adding an Odesign model to an .aird file via the UI and then modify this. Are there situations where an Odesign model would actually be saved accidentally, if this check would be omitted?

Thanks and best regards,
Max
Re: Different properties view? [message #1587341 is a reply to message #1585820] Tue, 27 January 2015 09:30 Go to previous message
Steve Monnier is currently offline Steve MonnierFriend
Hello,

We have some JUnit test where the ODesign is modified for the purpose of
the test, but in the common usage of Sirius it should not be modified
and needing saving. Especially, if the odesign is in the plugins.
You can try to override it but you can experience drawbacks in
performances and unstability.

Best regards,
Steve

Le 26/01/2015 14:58, Max Bureck a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I debugged the Sirius code to determine why changes to .odesign files
> are not saved. In method
> org.eclipse.sirius.business.internal.session.danalysis.ResourceSaveDiagnose#isSaveable()
>
> There is an explicit check if a file to be saved is an Odesign model. If
> this is the case, the method returns false.
> I was not able to get in this state, without explicitly adding an
> Odesign model to an .aird file via the UI and then modify this. Are
> there situations where an Odesign model would actually be saved
> accidentally, if this check would be omitted?
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Max

--
Steve Monnier - Obeo

Need professional services for Sirius?

Steve Monnier - Obeo Canada
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
Previous Topic:Create a sirius diagram programmatically
Next Topic:Problem with class diagram edition after Henshin installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:11:44 GMT 2024