Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Missing history
Missing history [message #1568491] Sat, 17 January 2015 00:38 Go to next message
Jason D is currently offline Jason DFriend
We converted from svn to git a few months ago and one of our projects has a file from 2008 that has commits going up to 2012. There are probably about two dozen commits visible when using git log --follow filename. If --follow is not set then only one commit message appears from when the file was moved.

In Eclipse when I right click on the file and select Team->Show in History I only see about 5 commits going back to 2011. I verified that follow is enabled in EGit and it seems like it is working since I see more than one commit.

We had a need to pull up a commit from before what shows up in eclipse. I'm able to see the older commits with git in the shell, I can't figure out why the full history isn't showing up in eclipse. Any ideas?

Thanks
Re: Missing history [message #1572672 is a reply to message #1568491] Mon, 19 January 2015 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
can you share the repo?

Ciao
Chris
Re: Missing history [message #1690359 is a reply to message #1572672] Thu, 26 March 2015 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Moore is currently offline Joe MooreFriend
Was this ever resolved? I'm on the latest version of EGit. First I tried the current release and then the overnight update and made sure the option to follow history is checked on luna. It still won't follow history. Log --follow from the command line shows the history as expected.
Re: Missing history [message #1690406 is a reply to message #1690359] Fri, 27 March 2015 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, this was not resolved. After your initial post I asked you whether you can share the repo. Since you have not responded (have you overlooked my question?) I assumed the problem is solved for you.

Ciao
Chris
Re: Missing history [message #1690407 is a reply to message #1690359] Fri, 27 March 2015 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, this was not resolved. After your initial post I asked you whether you can share the repo. Since you have not responded (have you overlooked my question?) I assumed the problem is solved for you.

Ciao
Chris
Re: Missing history [message #1698770 is a reply to message #1690407] Wed, 17 June 2015 16:46 Go to previous message
Jason D is currently offline Jason DFriend
Actually that was a different person than the OP.

The repo is not one I can share but it did prompt me to create a new test repo and move folders and files around and the commits DO follow.

I had forgotten I posted this question and rediscoved this thread because I need to move a large number of files and the history was missing in eclipse but showed when using the git log --follow command.

The problem in my repo seems to happen when I change the contents of the files and move them in the same commit. As a workaround I deleted and recreated the branch and instead I first updated the contents of the files and then committed then I moved all the files then committed again. The history follows correctly now and the move commit note shows "similarity index 100%"
Previous Topic:Create custom actions
Next Topic:EGit Work on a Branch, Commit, Switch and Pull remote master
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:10:30 GMT 2024