Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Edapt] Model includes references(Support for model references)
[Edapt] Model includes references [message #1567777] Fri, 16 January 2015 15:17 Go to next message
Teun van de Berg is currently offline Teun van de BergFriend
Messages: 12
Registered: October 2014
Junior Member
Hello,

I'm looking into co-evolution of models and hence am looking at Edapt. I'm able to reproduce the tutorial and hence perform model migrations for "standalone" models. My attempts to migrate models containing references to other models (more details below) have not been successful. Can anyone indicate if such a case is supported and how this can be achieved?

My setup is:
metaModel1.ecore
-------------
| someClass |
-------------
-------------
-------------
   |
   | 1...* dependency
   \/
metaModel2.ecore
------------------
| someOtherClass |
------------------
------------------
------------------


I have an instance of metaModel1 and an instance of metaModel2. If I attempt to execute a migration on an instance of metaModel1 I will get an error stating that no migrator could be found. The change I performed is renaming someOtherClass to newSomeOtherClass.

I've found the following post which appears to be related but involves packages rather than meta models: h t t ps://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1414432/?srch=edapt+references#msg_1414432

Kind regards,
Teun

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2015 15:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Edapt] Model includes references [message #1576719 is a reply to message #1567777] Wed, 21 January 2015 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Teun,

sorry for the delayed reply.
It is possible to migrate models with dependencies on other models. To
do that you need to identify the base model with no dependencies and
create a single history on this model which combines the histories of
all dependent models.
You can add the history of dependent models to this history by selecting
"Edapt -> Add Metamodel to History" in the context menu of the resource
of the dependent Ecore.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 16.01.2015 um 16:17 schrieb Teun van de Berg:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking into co-evolution of models and hence am looking at Edapt.
> I'm able to reproduce the tutorial and hence perform model migrations
> for "standalone" models. My attempts to migrate models containing
> references to other models (more details below) have not been
> successful. Can anyone indicate if such a case is supported and how this
> can be achieved?
>
> My setup is:
>
> metaModel1.ecore
> -------------
> | someClass |
> -------------
> -------------
> -------------
> |
> | 1...* dependency
> \/
> metaModel2.ecore
> ------------------
> | someOtherClass |
> ------------------
> ------------------
> ------------------
>
>
> I have an instance of metaModel1 and an instance of metaModel2. If I
> attempt to execute a migration on an instance of metaModel1 I will get
> an error stating that no migrator could be found. The change I performed
> is renaming someOtherClass to newSomeOtherClass.
>
> I've found the following post which appears to be related but ht
> tps://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1414432/?srch=edapt+references#msg_1414432
>
>
> Kind regards,
> Teun


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: [Edapt] Model includes references [message #1580357 is a reply to message #1576719] Fri, 23 January 2015 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teun van de Berg is currently offline Teun van de BergFriend
Messages: 12
Registered: October 2014
Junior Member
Hi Maximilian,

Thanks for your reply. I've managed to migrate models with references.
I observed the following which might be useful feedback for you:


  • It would be nice if the release dialog (dialog which is launched after pressing the release button) allows the user to step the version of more than one metamodel. The current popup allows the user to step the version of one metamodel. When dealing with two models based on two corresponding metamodels with references, both of the metamodels will need an increase in version numbering (when the change affects an element which is used in both models). Currently the popup will trigger the following error: "NamespacesL URIs not fully changed since last release" unless the versions are first increased outside this popup.
  • The example code provided in the tutorial doesn't set the editor state to dirty when a model is migrated (but the result of the migration is not yet saved).
  • It would be nice if the default launch configuration would allow the selection of more than one file at a time. I mean, adding more than one file to list of to be migrated files at once.
  • Say model A is referenced by B1 and B2. If model B1 is migrated in an editor model A will also be migrated. Model B2 can now no longer be opened in the editor. When using the launch configuration and migration model A, B1 and B2 at the same time I do not run into any hierarchy issues.
  • When dealing with more metamodel dependencies the release dialog will require all metamodels to step a version. This isn't necessary and can currently by avoided by creating the "releases" in the tree editor. Consider the following case. Metamodel A depends on metamodel B and metamodel C. If an entity defined in metamodel B is changed, which is used in metamodel A, metamodel A and B will need to be stepped to a new version. Metamodel C however can remain unaffected.

Please let me know if you need more info or if you would like me to create feature requests.

Kind regards,
Teun
Re: [Edapt] Model includes references [message #1586130 is a reply to message #1580357] Mon, 26 January 2015 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Teun,

thank you for contacting us on these issues. It would be great if you
could open bugzillas, although I cannot promise at what point in time we
will provide fixes...;)
Contributions welcome, of course!

Cheers,
Maximilian


Am 23.01.2015 um 13:46 schrieb Teun van de Berg:
> Hi Maximilian,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I've managed to migrate models with references.
> I observed the following which might be useful feedback for you:
>
>
> It would be nice if the release dialog (dialog which is launched after
> pressing the release button) allows the user to step the version of more
> than one metamodel. The current popup allows the user to step the
> version of one metamodel. When dealing with two models based on two
> corresponding metamodels with references, both of the metamodels will
> need an increase in version numbering (when the change affects an
> element which is used in both models). Currently the popup will trigger
> the following error: "NamespacesL URIs not fully changed since last
> release" unless the versions are first increased outside this popup.
> The example code provided in the tutorial doesn't set the editor state
> to dirty when a model is migrated (but the result of the migration is
> not yet saved).
> It would be nice if the default launch configuration would allow the
> selection of more than one file at a time. I mean, adding more than one
> file to list of to be migrated files at once.
> Say model A is referenced by B1 and B2. If model B1 is migrated in an
> editor model A will also be migrated. Model B2 can now no longer be
> opened in the editor. When using the launch configuration and migration
> model A, B1 and B2 at the same time I do not run into any hierarchy issues.
> When dealing with more metamodel dependencies the release dialog will
> require all metamodels to step a version. This isn't necessary and can
> currently by avoided by creating the "releases" in the tree editor.
> Consider the following case. Metamodel A depends on metamodel B and
> metamodel C. If an entity defined in metamodel B is changed, which is
> used in metamodel A, metamodel A and B will need to be stepped to a new
> version. Metamodel C however can remain unaffected.
>
> Please let me know if you need more info or if you would like me to
> create feature requests.
>
> Kind regards,
> Teun
>


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: [Edapt] Model includes references [message #1593231 is a reply to message #1586130] Fri, 30 January 2015 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teun van de Berg is currently offline Teun van de BergFriend
Messages: 12
Registered: October 2014
Junior Member
Hi Maximilian,

You are welcome. I've submitted bugs 458813, 458814 and 458817.
The tutorial contains a typo for which I didn't submit a bug; enumName = "book category" should be "BookCategory".

Kind regards,
Teun
Re: [Edapt] Model includes references [message #1602424 is a reply to message #1593231] Thu, 05 February 2015 14:59 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Teun,

thank you!

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 30.01.2015 um 14:51 schrieb Teun van de Berg:
> Hi Maximilian,
>
> You are welcome. I've submitted bugs 458813, 458814 and 458817.
> The tutorial contains a typo for which I didn't submit a bug; enumName =
> "book category" should be "BookCategory".
>
> Kind regards,
> Teun


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:XText: cant find main class org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.WorkflowRunner
Next Topic:[Texo] ModelDataGenerator
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Apr 08 09:45:02 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01342 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top