Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to deploy files at a remote debug launch?(remote debugging in cdt: uploading shared libraries)
How to deploy files at a remote debug launch? [message #1567536] Fri, 16 January 2015 12:16 Go to next message
Yuri Rumega is currently offline Yuri RumegaFriend
Please give me advice how to setup a debug environment with Eclipse CDT/ RSE / DSF or whatever else is available.

I have an enterprise application, which consists of an executable and a lot (30+) of shared library modules. The application is targeted for an embedded non-x86 platform, with POSIX-compatible operating system (QNX or GNU/Linux, depending on the selected toolchain). Because of that, debugging has to be done remotely.

I installed cdt.launch remote ("C/C++ remote launch") and RSE ("Remote System Explorer End User Runtime", "Remote System Explorer User Actions"). Now my Eclipse can launch a program remotely (over ssh) and debug it with gdbserver. But only the main executable can be configured for upload... I found no option for uploading shared libraries.

I wonder what is an appropriate way to deploy files for a debug launch via Eclipse?

My current choices are:

1. Using Remote System Explorer perspective, "import" some remote folder as a "Remote project" in the workspace. Set Makefile to copy .so files to the mapped folder after build. After build, manually refresh the "remote project". Then, changed files will be uploaded to remote system at launch.
  2. Using Remote System Explorer perspective, "export" binaries located in workspace to remote file system, so that files would be uploaded at remote launch. This method also require me to "refresh" all the projects before starting a debug session, or changes wouldn't be noticied.
  3. Don't use Eclipse for file uploading at all, and deploy them manually or by means of the build script.
  4. Take the hard way and contribute some code to Eclipse СDT.

Is there a better solution??
Re: How to deploy files at a remote debug launch? [message #1572302 is a reply to message #1567536] Mon, 19 January 2015 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VO DUC is currently offline VO DUCFriend
I've got the same problem. Anyone give a smarter solution for this issue?
Re: How to deploy files at a remote debug launch? [message #1619317 is a reply to message #1572302] Mon, 16 February 2015 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mathew Benson is currently offline Mathew BensonFriend
I solved a similar situation by adding a step in my Makefile to SCP files from my host to the target. I'll be watching this thread because I'm also looking for a better solution. My solution usually failed the first time I ran it after launching eclipse. The build would fail when eclipse prompted me for my key to unlock the passwords. Once unlocked it would work. The launcher worked fine, but the debugger had issued finding the libraries and a host of other glitches. I'm not convinced that wasn't a dbg issue though.
Re: How to deploy files at a remote debug launch? [message #1647875 is a reply to message #1619317] Tue, 03 March 2015 16:59 Go to previous message
Jack Quick is currently offline Jack QuickFriend
I have abandoned the usage of shared libraries. Debugging support for shared libraries is non-existent and I don't want to mess with writing custom scripts or doing manual interaction. Those steps should not be necessary when using an IDE. Otherwise we could stick with using good old makefiles.

Another solution is to use static libraries. However, one should be aware of bug#459409 (there's a bug in the forum that won't let me add the link Rolling Eyes ). The order of the entries made in "C/C++ General>Paths and Symbols" gets intermixed accidentially when switching between Release and Debug configurations. As a result, the project won't compile. It is some kind of a self destruction mechanism. The workaround is to ignore those settings and add the static libraries under "C/C++ Build>Settings>Cross ARM C++ Linker>Miscellaneous>Other objects".

Previous Topic:Eclipse gdb host deduced from linux system variable
Next Topic: Symbol could not be resolved - Android Native Code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:39:37 GMT 2024