Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Handly » A real-world example?
A real-world example? [message #1563579] Wed, 14 January 2015 09:25 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Vladimir!

First of all, Kudos for Handly! There's a lot of various frameworks available for RCP developers, but a one like this to handle project models has been clearly missing for a long time.

Is there any example besides the one which is part of the tutorial (btw, a well-writen tutorial!), which might help me to understand how to implement various advanced features in real-world implementation?

And, btw, would it be possible to contact you directly?

Thanks in advance

[Updated on: Wed, 14 January 2015 09:25] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: A real-world example? [message #1572931 is a reply to message #1563579] Mon, 19 January 2015 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vladimir Piskarev is currently offline Vladimir PiskarevFriend
Re: A real-world example?

Hi Ondrej,

Thank you very much for the feedback and your interest in Handly!

Unfortunately, there is no such an example currently.

A more advanced example is planned for Handly 0.3 (Eclipse Mars time frame), though full details are not yet clear. It would be great to know what features would adopters like to be addressed in such an example. Let's use this topic to collect some of the requirements. To set the ball rolling:

* Managing "classpath"-like concept (based on Ondrej's question)

Meanwhile, there's an earliest adopter -- the erlide project -- an open-source IDE for Erlang. Its migration to Handly is still a work in progress at the moment. I hope it will eventually provide a nice real-world example of Handly use.

Please feel free to contact me directly (my work email is pisv at 1c dot ru), but if one feels a question would be of interest to others, it's probably better to ask it via the project's forum or mailing list.

Best regards,
Vladimir

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2015 12:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A real-world example? [message #1573175 is a reply to message #1572931] Mon, 19 January 2015 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Thanks Vladimir for your detailed answer. It's definitely a great idea to put together a list of various topics to cover in Handly guide, as I guess these will be common for majority of models and most of adopters will face them.

To keep the ball rolling, there's another one:

* Handly provides a nice example of binding a custom model with Xtext-based editor. Generally speaking, what is needed to get a similar functionality in case I would like to provide a similar functionality for my editor based on a different technology than XText (e.g. EMFText-based editor, CDT-based editor, a base JFace Text editor)?
Re: A real-world example? [message #1574496 is a reply to message #1573175] Tue, 20 January 2015 08:53 Go to previous message
Vladimir Piskarev is currently offline Vladimir PiskarevFriend
Great! Thanks Ondrej. I think these two items together already set the stage for a new Handly example.

BTW, integration with other editors is a theme for Handly 0.3 [1]. There is a hint in the Handly tutorial at the moment [2], but an example is definitely called for.

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/handly-dev/msg00040.html
[2] https://github.com/pisv/gethandly/wiki/Step-Four#other-editors
Previous Topic:Announcing Handly 0.2.1 Release
Next Topic:On M-theory and H-models...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:01:36 GMT 2024