Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Uninstall plugins during update
Uninstall plugins during update [message #1555404] Fri, 09 January 2015 20:07 Go to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
I have a product in which some of plugins will become obsolete after and update. How should I proceed with uninstalling these plugins? UninstallOperation will not work because these plugins are not part of separate IU that can be uninstalled. I looked at p2.inf instructions, particularly uninstallBundle. Can I use that and if so how?

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Uninstall plugins during update [message #1555444 is a reply to message #1555404] Fri, 09 January 2015 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
There is nothing to do to get plug-ins removed. As soon as a plug-in is no longer used by any other plug-ins, features or products, it is automatically removed.
Note that after an update, the jar files of the removed plugins will likely stay on disk but they will not be used. The file controling which plug-ins are used is in <install>/configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info.

HTH
Re: Uninstall plugins during update [message #1555494 is a reply to message #1555444] Fri, 09 January 2015 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Pascal.

I'll need to explain further I think. In our product current version of editor we have defines a namespace for EMF model. New editor that we've been working on uses the same namespace, so when two are loaded together we get error messages such as:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.emf.ecore 2 0 2015-01-09 15:29:15.178
!MESSAGE Both 'com.iwaysoftware.eclipse.channel' and 'com.iwaysoftware.channel.repository' register a package for 'http://consolesm.ibi.com/xml/repository'

!ENTRY org.eclipse.emf.ecore 2 0 2015-01-09 15:29:15.186
!MESSAGE Both 'com.iwaysoftware.eclipse.channel' and 'com.iwaysoftware.channel' register an extension parser for 'channel'

In addition we get two sets of wizards defined by newWizards extension points by new and old editor. I know I can remove old one with Activities, but I much rather if possible remove old plugins altogether based on particular criteria, like version. Is this possible?
Re: Uninstall plugins during update [message #1555798 is a reply to message #1555494] Sat, 10 January 2015 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
If the new bundles for the editor, wizards, etc. have a different id, then make sure that they are not being referred to from any other plugin, feature or product.
Note that here I'm talking about the case where the product is completely built.
In the IDE, you just need to close the projects.
(though I feel like I'm missing details to help)
HTH
Re: Uninstall plugins during update [message #1560463 is a reply to message #1555798] Mon, 12 January 2015 16:12 Go to previous message
Thanks Pascal. The feature will change yes, but I thought about removing previous plugins altogether although from what I've read not sure if it's at all possible. I wanted to do this to conserve space that these plugins take up.
Previous Topic:plug-ins won't start after exporting it from eclipse
Next Topic:equinox 3.8.2 archives unreachable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:51:36 GMT 2024