Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problems with GUI
Problems with GUI [message #1511393] Sun, 14 December 2014 22:59 Go to next message
Simone Perriello is currently offline Simone PerrielloFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: October 2014
Junior Member
Sometimes, without any evident pattern, Eclipse fails to render some stuff. I can't give much more information because the problem is difficult to reproduce, even if it appears often, and also even difficult to screenshot.
For example, when I maximize (or minimize) any view, it displays only the GUI elements of the old view and not them of the new one.
A simple typical scenario could be when I have an editor opened, I open a new editor and Eclipse display the text of the old editor instead of that of the new one; basically, it fails to display the updated gui.
This is a brief video explaining this scenario. Actually, when in the video I pause over a page editor, I double click on it (it isn't shown in the video, the screen recorder sucks), but as you can see nothing changes. In the end of the video, I drag the mouse as if I am selecting some text (again, the screen recorder doesn't show muose clicks) and the gui is updated
http://youtu.be/RFRotBqY9Fc

Here is also a more recent image of a broken gui
http://i59.tinypic.com/2ls9xe1.png
As you can see, there are a lot of cursors in various parts: in package explorer, under "exit"; in "LoginView.java" in many points. Basically, I've only double clicked "LoginView.java" to show it in full screen.

Also, today I identified a specific sequence of events that always broke the GUIs, even if it is only a small part. When I am on a WindowsBuilder>Design view and I select refresh, this is the frame which contains the progress bar. As you can see, some elements were missing.

http://i59.tinypic.com/11iliiw.png
Re: Problems with GUI [message #1511752 is a reply to message #1511393] Mon, 15 December 2014 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 31770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Simone,

Best to open a bugzilla, especially if a specific sequence of events
always reproduces the same failure, that would be great to report.

On 14/12/2014 11:59 PM, Simone Perriello wrote:
> Sometimes, without any evident pattern, Eclipse fails to render some
> stuff. I can't give much more information because the problem is
> difficult to reproduce, even if it appears often, and also even
> difficult to screenshot.
> For example, when I maximize (or minimize) any view, it displays only
> the GUI elements of the old view and not them of the new one.
> A simple typical scenario could be when I have an editor opened, I
> open a new editor and Eclipse display the text of the old editor
> instead of that of the new one; basically, it fails to display the
> updated gui.
> This is a brief video explaining this scenario. Actually, when in the
> video I pause over a page editor, I double click on it (it isn't shown
> in the video, the screen recorder sucks), but as you can see nothing
> changes. In the end of the video, I drag the mouse as if I am
> selecting some text (again, the screen recorder doesn't show muose
> clicks) and the gui is updated
> http://youtu.be/RFRotBqY9Fc
>
> Here is also a more recent image of a broken gui
>
> As you can see, there are a lot of cursors in various parts: in
> package explorer, under "exit"; in "LoginView.java" in many points.
> Basically, I've only double clicked "LoginView.java" to show it in
> full screen.
>
> Also, today I identified a specific sequence of events that always
> broke the GUIs, even if it is only a small part. When I am on a
> WindowsBuilder>Design view and I select refresh, this is the frame
> which contains the progress bar. As you can see, some elements were
> missing.
>
>


Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problems with GUI [message #1511765 is a reply to message #1511752] Mon, 15 December 2014 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simone Perriello is currently offline Simone PerrielloFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: October 2014
Junior Member
Ed Merks wrote on Mon, 15 December 2014 06:11
Simone,

Best to open a bugzilla, especially if a specific sequence of events
always reproduces the same failure, that would be great to report.

Hi Ed.
Well, ATM I don't know if it's something related to Eclipse, to jre-8 or Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64 (or combinations of the three). Is there any way I can test it?
Re: Problems with GUI [message #1511919 is a reply to message #1511765] Mon, 15 December 2014 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 31770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Simone,

Well you'd need to test with different versions of those things, but
that's not so trivial. It's highly unlikely to be related to the JRE.
It might be specific to Eclipse on a particular windowing system, but
that's hard to confirm as well. Certainly opening a bugzilla with
easily reproducible steps that consistently produce a problem for you
would be a good start.

On 15/12/2014 7:26 AM, Simone Perriello wrote:
> Ed Merks wrote on Mon, 15 December 2014 06:11
>> Simone,
>>
>> Best to open a bugzilla, especially if a specific sequence of events
>> always reproduces the same failure, that would be great to report.
>
> Hi Ed.
> Well, ATM I don't know if it's something related to Eclipse, to jre-8
> or Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64 (or combinations of the three). Is there any way
> I can test it?


Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problems with GUI [message #1512001 is a reply to message #1511919] Mon, 15 December 2014 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simone Perriello is currently offline Simone PerrielloFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: October 2014
Junior Member
Ed Merks wrote on Mon, 15 December 2014 09:27
Simone,

Well you'd need to test with different versions of those things, but
that's not so trivial. It's highly unlikely to be related to the JRE.
It might be specific to Eclipse on a particular windowing system, but
that's hard to confirm as well. Certainly opening a bugzilla with
easily reproducible steps that consistently produce a problem for you
would be a good start.

Well, I don't know if it's unlikely tbh. Look at this: it shows that JDK8 has problems in rendering swing components; maybe it has identical problems with different guis.

Also, can you suggests some how-tos to open an eclipse bugzilla?
EDIT.
Consider also that there isn't a specific sequence of events that reproduce the problems: sometimes when I maximize a window all goes well, sometimes it fails to render the page.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2014 11:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problems with GUI [message #1512373 is a reply to message #1512001] Mon, 15 December 2014 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 31770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Simone,

If this is purely a window builder issue, file a bug against.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=WindowBuilder

It's it's swing related (which wasn't clear to me from your original
description) it could well be the JDK in which case there might not be
much the WB folks can do about it...



On 15/12/2014 12:01 PM, Simone Perriello wrote:
> Ed Merks wrote on Mon, 15 December 2014 09:27
>> Simone,
>>
>> Well you'd need to test with different versions of those things, but
>> that's not so trivial. It's highly unlikely to be related to the
>> JRE. It might be specific to Eclipse on a particular windowing
>> system, but that's hard to confirm as well. Certainly opening a
>> bugzilla with easily reproducible steps that consistently produce a
>> problem for you would be a good start.
>
> Well, I don't know if it's unlikely tbh. Look at
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22737535/swing-rendering-appears-broken-in-jdk-1-8-correct-in-jdk-1-7:
> it shows that JDK8 has problems in rendering swing components; maybe
> it has identical problems with different guis.
>
> Also, can you suggests some how-tos to open an eclipse bugzilla?


Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problems with GUI [message #1692793 is a reply to message #1512373] Sat, 18 April 2015 18:51 Go to previous message
Juan Jimenez is currently offline Juan JimenezFriend
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I may be experiencing the same problem here. I created a bugzilla entry one month ago but it seems to have been largely ignored. The only suggestion made was to set:

export SWT_GTK3=0

Before starting Eclipse. That did seem to solve the repainting problem but introduced the nastier problem of frequent crashes (recorded here).

Does anyone know what can be done here to draw more attention?
Previous Topic:Glassfish tools on Luna 4.4.1
Next Topic:Comparing Objects from different Heaps of same process
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Feb 26 21:34:46 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03672 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top