Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » EMFStore and Edapt(EMFStore and Edapt)
EMFStore and Edapt [message #1489755] Thu, 27 November 2014 16:59 Go to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Messages: 126
Registered: December 2013
Senior Member
Hello,
Does EMFStore currently have any integration with Edapt?
It would be useful (although maybe difficult) if changes to a model structure (.ecore model) could be recorded/versioned as well as changes to a model instance as this would give good version history of an evolving model structure AND content. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas in this area.
Thanks,
Neil
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1490603 is a reply to message #1489755] Fri, 28 November 2014 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Neil,

there was and is an Edapt integration of EMFStore with Edapt. It is
still available in the EMFStore eepos:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/emf-store/org.eclipse.emf.emfstore.other.git/tree/org.eclipse.emf.emfstore.migration.edapt
It is unfortunately outdated and is not compatible with the currently
released Edapt 1.0 version and the current EMFStore version.
Anyway it should be fairly simple to get it up and running again IMHO.
If you would like any help with this let me know!

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 27.11.2014 17:59, schrieb Neil Mackenzie:
> Hello,
> Does EMFStore currently have any integration with Edapt?
> It would be useful (although maybe difficult) if changes to a model
> structure (.ecore model) could be recorded/versioned as well as changes
> to a model instance as this would give good version history of an
> evolving model structure AND content. Just wondering if anyone had any
> ideas in this area.
> Thanks,
> Neil


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1491877 is a reply to message #1490603] Sat, 29 November 2014 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Messages: 126
Registered: December 2013
Senior Member
Thanks,
I don't have much time at the moment but I might be able to get an hour or 2 a week to look into this.
When a model is migrated I assume some information would be available in the EMFStore history view.
Do you know what level of detail would/should be recorded e.g:
1.) just one entry for the whole migration e.g. 'migrated library package using migration definition x'
2.) one entry for each migration operation e.g. 'applied 'rename field (author to writer) and extract to superclass (field NumOfPages) in library package'
3.) one entry for each instance affected e.g. 'renamed field author in book1 , renamed field author in book 2,renamed field author in book 3'

Thanks,
Neil
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1496215 is a reply to message #1491877] Tue, 02 December 2014 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Neil,

no, there will be no information on the migration in the history view
since they are not actual changes in the data. Consider a rename of an
attribute in your model, it will not change instance data values really,
just the name of the attribute which is metadata from this point of
view. But maybe I do not get your question correctly?

Best regards,
Maximilian

Am 29.11.2014 11:10, schrieb Neil Mackenzie:
> Thanks,
> I don't have much time at the moment but I might be able to get an
> hour or 2 a week to look into this.
> When a model is migrated I assume some information would be available
> in the EMFStore history view.
> Do you know what level of detail would/should be recorded e.g:
> 1.) just one entry for the whole migration e.g. 'migrated library
> package using migration definition x'
> 2.) one entry for each migration operation e.g. 'applied 'rename field
> (author to writer) and extract to superclass (field NumOfPages) in
> library package'
> 3.) one entry for each instance affected e.g. 'renamed field author in
> book1 , renamed field author in book 2,renamed field author in book 3'
>
> Thanks,
> Neil


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1531406 is a reply to message #1496215] Sat, 27 December 2014 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Messages: 126
Registered: December 2013
Senior Member
Hi Maximilian,
sorry for the delay in replying, I am currently very busy with my main job so I am not getting time as I had hoped to look at migrations in emfstore.
Regarding the history view I had thought there would be change to the data in some operations such as 'push down feature'. Also I was thinking it would be nice to have an ordered history of changes to the data and model.
Regards,
Neil
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1553038 is a reply to message #1531406] Thu, 08 January 2015 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Neil,

no problem, I was not waiting for an answer ;).
> Regarding the history view I had thought there would be change to the
> data in some operations such as 'push down feature'. Also I was thinking
> it would be nice to have an ordered history of changes to the data and
> model.
The history of the meta model and the history of the model are two
separate histories. The first is the history of the Ecore and is stored
in a .history file beside the Ecore itself and is maintained by Edapt.
The later is stored in the EMFStore server and maintained by EMFStore.
Migrating data with Edapt in EMFStore means migrating data AND history
of data to the new META-model version. EMFStore cannot store data
conforming to different versions of one metamodel.

Cheers,
Maximilian

> Regards,
> Neil


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1581883 is a reply to message #1553038] Sat, 24 January 2015 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Messages: 126
Registered: December 2013
Senior Member
Thanks, thats clear now. Its not exactly what I need so I wont be able to contribute to the migration code...thanks for the mention in the emfstore tweets btw!
Re: EMFStore and Edapt [message #1586123 is a reply to message #1581883] Mon, 26 January 2015 17:26 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Sure, no problem and thank you for your prior contributions!

Am 24.01.2015 um 10:05 schrieb Neil Mackenzie:
> Thanks, thats clear now. Its not exactly what I need so I wont be able
> to contribute to the migration code...thanks for the mention in the
> emfstore tweets btw!


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:[EEF] How do i call the generator programatically (e.g. from maven)
Next Topic:[TEXO] Uniqueness constraint
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Apr 09 21:21:52 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01858 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top