Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Newbie: configure compiler/add tool chain?(I am stumped as to how to add a "toolchain" or specify my compiler.)
Newbie: configure compiler/add tool chain? [message #1464751] Fri, 07 November 2014 21:06 Go to next message
Jesse Glidden is currently offline Jesse GliddenFriend
Forgive this simple question. I am simply trying to go through Bill Wienman's Lynda course, and I am now halted. I cannot find a "toolchain" listed, that he claims should be there.

I have downloaded and installed gcc 4.9.1-32, and I checked my windows path variable and it includes C:\gcc\bin; and C:\gcc\libexec\gcc\i686-pc-mingw32\4.9.1;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;

I rebooted my Windows 7 computer.

In Eclipse, I go to Windows > Preferences > New C/C++ Project Wizard > Preferred Toolchains, and under Toolchains, I see only "Cross GCC", and "Microsoft Visual C++". I believe I should also be able to see "MinGW GCC", or something of the sort.

Do I need to add this toolchain manually? Is there a path variable I need to add somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Newbie: configure compiler/add tool chain? [message #1465478 is a reply to message #1464751] Sat, 08 November 2014 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Quote:
I have downloaded and installed gcc 4.9.1-32, and I checked my windows path

remove gcc and install mingw in c:\mingw on your windows box.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/

A "newbie" must read the Eclipse/CDT documentation. This is not an option but mandatory.
So please start now and check the link in my footer...

regards

Re: Newbie: configure compiler/add tool chain? [message #1466138 is a reply to message #1465478] Sun, 09 November 2014 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse Glidden is currently offline Jesse GliddenFriend
Thank you for the response. What's odd, is that I already had /MinGW-4.8.1/ installed, and it didn't recognize that either. I guess I have to set that up manually as well, which I failed to figure out.

But you are correct, I have not read the documentation. Thank you for the links.
Re: Newbie: configure compiler/add tool chain? [message #1466668 is a reply to message #1466138] Sun, 09 November 2014 11:40 Go to previous message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Hello Jesse,

a other hint: Reading the "What's new in CDT" is worthwhile also:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewInCDT

For example, some information about "Improved toolchain detection":
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn82#Improved_toolchain_detection

Btw, i don't add the MinGW path to "PATH" globally, I use a batch file (on Windows) to start Eclipse/CDT with MinGW, works like a charm.

@echo off
PATH=C:\mingw\bin;%PATH%
start eclipse.exe

regards

Previous Topic:Unit of time stamp in Gdb traces view
Next Topic:Eclipse Keppler freezes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:19:17 GMT 2024