Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debugging Large, Multithreaded System(Trouble debugging)
Debugging Large, Multithreaded System [message #1460927] Tue, 04 November 2014 03:16 Go to next message
Nicholas Romito is currently offline Nicholas RomitoFriend
Hello,

I am trying to debug a C++ system that is extremely large and contains about 40 threads at the particular moment I am debugging. I am able to break into the code where I want, but that's about as far as I get. Sometimes the stack trace will appear in the debug window, but most of the time i just get a bunch of whitespace. Also, none of the variables show up in the variables pane. Lastly, I try to click step over, and nothing happens until finally my program exits and stops running. Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this issue? I've tried increasing the amount of RAM that Eclipse can use, but that's about all I could find on fixing the issue (this didn't fix the issue).

Thanks,
Nick
Re: Debugging Large, Multithreaded System [message #1461421 is a reply to message #1460927] Tue, 04 November 2014 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Look at the 'gdb traces' to see how CDT interacts with GDB. Maybe it will shed some light on the issue. 40 threads is not that big and should work fine. I wonder if your GDB and maybe target are just very slow.
You can look at the timestamp difference in the 'gdb traces' to figure out how long it takes GDB to answer CDT's requests.
https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#I.27ve_been_asked_for_.27gdb_traces.27.2C_where_can_I_find_them.3F

Marc
Re: Debugging Large, Multithreaded System [message #1471234 is a reply to message #1461421] Thu, 13 November 2014 00:41 Go to previous message
Nicholas Romito is currently offline Nicholas RomitoFriend
Thanks Marc!

I took a look into this console, and I found this at the very end (it just hangs here and eventually crashes):

841,573 (gdb)
895,771 151-stack-list-arguments --thread 38 1
895,771 152-stack-list-locals --thread 38 --frame 0 1
896,024 153-data-evaluate-expression --thread 38 --frame 0 err

I can see that an error has occurred from the last line, but I'm not sure where to find the content of the error. Does anyone know how to find this or what the error might possibly be?

Thank you,
Nick
Previous Topic:Eclipse isn't working
Next Topic:How to use auto-comment, pls Help!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:53:09 GMT 2024