Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Someone please explain "Index source files not included in the build"(When this option is not checked, why does the indexer startup when I build had not been done.)
Someone please explain "Index source files not included in the build" [message #1454893] Tue, 28 October 2014 21:58 Go to next message
Peter Clark is currently offline Peter ClarkFriend
I am using version Luna for the first time and I noticed an option that I have been waiting for. But this option, Window->Preferences, C/C++->Indexer->Index source files not included in the build, doesn't appear to do what it says.

I am assuming that when this option is set, that the indexer will just index everything under the root directory of the project (behavior expected in earlier releases). But with this option not set I would expect the indexer to be basing it's selection of files to index on the build. In other words, it would base it's selection on build output or makefiles. But with nothing built, as soon as the project is loaded, the indexer starts indexing everything under the root directory.

Am I misunderstanding this new feature.
Re: Someone please explain "Index source files not included in the build" [message #1457519 is a reply to message #1454893] Fri, 31 October 2014 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
I guess you are not using the Managed builder, i.e. you are providing your own Makefiles. In this case Eclipse does not know which files belongs to the build. Therefore, it indexes all files. However, in Projekt Properties->C/C++ General->Paths and Symbols you can set the "Source Location".

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Someone please explain "Index source files not included in the build" [message #1461653 is a reply to message #1457519] Tue, 04 November 2014 20:08 Go to previous message
Peter Clark is currently offline Peter ClarkFriend
Yes, I am providing my own Makefiles. So from what you are telling me, this option is only useful if you are using auto generated Makefiles.

I have set the "Source Location" but problem is, we have 30+ projects that have the same source code location (lots of shared code). Hence the need for the above feature. The current code structure has been in place for 10+ years so it will not be changed anytime soon.

Thanks for the help. I will post another question with a different topic since this option is not helpful to me.
Previous Topic:Compiling problems
Next Topic:Custom Bulk Resource File Filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:19:09 GMT 2024