Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Problems while debugging large project
Problems while debugging large project [message #1449759] Tue, 21 October 2014 20:08 Go to next message
Fang Wang is currently offline Fang WangFriend
Hi, I have a question about debugging.

I'm trying to work on a large project and encountering a problem with debugging. The function that I would like to debug is in a separate cpp file, say a.cpp. That a.cpp is far from the source file where main() is.

That function in a.cpp is not called directly by main(). Instead, main() has to generate a GUI interface where I can call that function so that the breakpoints can be activated. I'm not sure how to do that.

I'm new to Eclipse, any advice is welcome. Thank you so much!
Re: Problems while debugging large project [message #1450483 is a reply to message #1449759] Wed, 22 October 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another problem I forgot to mention is that there is no difference between step into and step over while debugging. It won't go into each function. Is there a way to solve it? Thank you.
Re: Problems while debugging large project [message #1451147 is a reply to message #1450483] Thu, 23 October 2014 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Fang Wang wrote on Wed, 22 October 2014 15:49
Another problem I forgot to mention is that there is no difference between step into and step over while debugging. It won't go into each function. Is there a way to solve it? Thank you.

If there is no debug info available stepping into will not work.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Problems while debugging large project [message #1451458 is a reply to message #1451147] Thu, 23 October 2014 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a way to add debug info? the program is compiled with -g3 option.

Axel Mueller wrote on Thu, 23 October 2014 12:01
Fang Wang wrote on Wed, 22 October 2014 15:49

If there is no debug info available stepping into will not work.

Re: Problems while debugging large project [message #1451914 is a reply to message #1451458] Fri, 24 October 2014 13:40 Go to previous message
The problem is "No source available for "memset@plt() at 0x40a478".

At first it shows "No source available for main()", so I set a breakpoint in main(). Now It can find main(), but not any functions called in main(). What is amazing is the disassembly code can be executed line by line, but when it tried to step into a function, it always shows no source available.

The source files, the objective files, and the executables are in different places.

I compiled it with -g3. The source lookup location is set as absolute path and compilation directory (include subdirectories). Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2014 18:10]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Deleting files before build
Next Topic:Question, issues about C++ Indexer behavior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:41:33 GMT 2024