Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Dev setup/workflow for Hosted Apps(Best way to configure eclipe to work with hosted services (hostgator, godaddy))
Dev setup/workflow for Hosted Apps [message #1437142] Fri, 03 October 2014 23:55 Go to next message
Justin Rich is currently offline Justin RichFriend
Im working on a site hosted at HostGator using WordPress and I was looking for some input on a dev process, mostly around the Eclipse aspects but I'd be happy to take input on the other aspects (publishing). I was going to create scripts for the copy from Dev to Prod, and then DB restores from Prod to Dev etc.

But as far as setting up Eclipse so that Im hitting the Hostgator files (I have a mapped drive, but I believe they support webdav too) and access to the DB, creating the project.. debugging (or at least having it know the url to load for testing/viewing) etc etc

I was trying to find a blog post or something to get me started but i've been unable to find anything to get me started.

I will say I've only used Eclipse a little, I mostly work in Visual Studio but since this is PHP I thought i'd work with Eclipse.

Thanks,
Justin
Re: Dev setup/workflow for Hosted Apps [message #1437765 is a reply to message #1437142] Sun, 05 October 2014 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Dexter is currently offline Mark DexterFriend
I have a lot of experience working with Eclipse / PDT and Joomla. However, I do all of my development locally (Windows / XAMPP) and then deploy on hosts using the Joomla extension management UI.

There is a lot of documentation for working with Eclipse and Joomla that I think would apply as well to WP. Here is a link to some of them (just search the Joomla wiki for eclipse):
http://docs.joomla.org/index.php?title=Special:GoogleCustomWikiSearch&term=eclipse

Hope that helps a bit. Some of this might be a tiny bit out of date. If you find that to be the case, please feel free to make edits.

Good luck!

Mark Dexter
Re: Dev setup/workflow for Hosted Apps [message #1438173 is a reply to message #1437765] Sun, 05 October 2014 16:49 Go to previous message
Justin Rich is currently offline Justin RichFriend
Thanks! thats the kind of stuff im looking for, and you are right, the platform doesnt make a ton of difference, its more so the setup.

Thanks!
Previous Topic:Disabling Auto Indentation
Next Topic:Eclipse Debug as Script fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 23:45:45 GMT 2024