Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Code analysis issues (unresolved symbols)
Code analysis issues (unresolved symbols) [message #1435588] Wed, 01 October 2014 18:20
Josh Kelley is currently offline Josh KelleyFriend
I'm getting quite a few code analysis errors regarding "Symbol ... could not be resolved" and "Function ... could not be resolved" in my project.

How do I go about identifying and fixing code analysis / parser errors like this?

Specific problems:

1. Many Boost classes work, but several seem to commonly cause problems: boost::optional (always fails), boost::scoped_ptr and boost::scoped_array (sometimes fails?), boost::bind, boost::function, boost::regex (and boost::smatch, etc.; sometimes fails?).
  2. Even though Eclipse says a symbol is unresolved, for many symbols, clicking on it then pressing F3 (Open Declaration) works.
  3. If I press Ctrl+Shift+T (Open Element) and type the name of one of the unresolved symbols that Eclipse is complaining about (e.g., "MyFunc"), I commonly get two entries under "qualified name and location:" "MyFunc" and "boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::boost::MyFunc".

In many cases, I'm able to resolve an error (at least for #2 + #3) by doing the following:

1. Open the header file where the symbol is declared.
  2. Delete the declaration from that header file.
  3. Right-click on the project containing the file with the unresolved symbol and choose Index -> Update with Modified Files. (It's my understanding that this step is necessary because the header is in a different project.)
  4. Undo the deletion.
  5. Right-click and choose Index -> Update with Modified Files again.

It's very tedious to do this for all errors, and if I rebuild indexes, all of the problems come back.

More details:

• Code base is for Windows Embarcadero C++Builder, organized into several C++ libraries and several executables that depend on those libraries.
  • Each library and each executable is a separate Eclipse project.
  • I'm using Boost 1.39 (since that's all that's directly supported for 32-bit Windows apps in Embarcadero C++Builder).
  • Observed in Luna CDT 8.4.0 and 8.5.0. I think I saw them in Kepler also, but I don't remember.

Any ideas on how to fix this? How do I go about troubleshooting a problem like this?
Previous Topic:How to prevent string truncation in debugger's Variables window?
Next Topic:Eclipse debugging a Qt form with strange behaviour
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:29:58 GMT 2024