Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem uninstalling Eclipse-CDT (Kepler) and replacing with Eclipse (LUNA) on Ubuntu
Problem uninstalling Eclipse-CDT (Kepler) and replacing with Eclipse (LUNA) on Ubuntu [message #1434668] Tue, 30 September 2014 12:28
Dimitri Joukoff is currently offline Dimitri JoukoffFriend
[Ubuntu 13.10 Unity]
Since I'm not using Eclipse-CDT (Kepler) for my C based projects, I decided to uninstall it and install Eclipse Java (LUNA) instead. ( On my windows OS I have multiple Eclipse versions running side-by-side, but I didn't want this in Ubuntu.)

To "uninstall", I renamed the folder in /opt to 'eclipse-kepler'. I then put LUNA into /opt/eclipse.

Since I didn't have an icon in Unity's menu bar previously, I thought I would add it. So I ran Eclipse LUNA from the terminal and when the icon came up, I noticed a couple strange things:
1) The displayed icon belongs to Eclipse-CDT Kepler,
2) It's title is 'C/C++ Eclipse'

After locking the icon to the menu and closing LUNA, I tried clicking on the icon but nothing happens. It's totally unresponsive. Unity allows me to unlock it from the menu bar, and the 'quit' option closes Eclipse when I have it open. When I use Unity's Search function to locate 'eclipse', it comes up with C/C++ Eclipse and again, nothing happens on it when I click it.

This is really strange...

I've now removed Eclipse-CDT (Kepler) from my filesystem (archived it), removed all the eclipse related folders in my home directory, and even after rebooting, I still get the wrong/inactive icon showing. I can run eclipse from a terminal, or from Nautilus...

I've checked my /usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop file, and everything is normal there (with no references to C/C++ Eclipse either).

Anyone know what's going on? I get the feeling there's a database I need to refresh but I've never needed to do this before.

Cheers,
Nap

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2014 12:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Can I re-download a specific folder that was accidentally deleted?
Next Topic:Way over my head
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:04:35 GMT 2024