Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to share workspace between Juno and Luna
How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1430044] Wed, 24 September 2014 01:58 Go to next message
Dimitri Joukoff is currently offline Dimitri JoukoffFriend
This question has probably been asked in the past, however I could not find a reference in my search results. My apologies.

I have been running Juno (with a huge number of plugins I need) for some time and am interested in trying out Luna. When I ran Luna, I got a warning stating that once my workspace gets converted to Luna, I won't be able to use Juno. This is unsatisfactory for me, hence my post here.

Is there a way allowing my workspace to be shared between the two versions?

Cheers,
Dimitri.
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1430130 is a reply to message #1430044] Wed, 24 September 2014 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Dimitri,

Perhaps its better to share all the projects in the workspace between
two separate workspaces. I.e., you can import the projects from
wherever they're physically located to logically add them to a different
workspace.

On 24/09/2014 3:58 AM, Dimitri Joukoff wrote:
> This question has probably been asked in the past, however I could not
> find a reference in my search results. My apologies.
>
> I have been running Juno (with a huge number of plugins I need) for
> some time and am interested in trying out Luna. When I ran Luna, I
> got a warning stating that once my workspace gets converted to Luna, I
> won't be able to use Juno. This is unsatisfactory for me, hence my
> post here.
>
> Is there a way allowing my workspace to be shared between the two
> versions?
>
> Cheers,
> Dimitri.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1430231 is a reply to message #1430130] Wed, 24 September 2014 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thnx Ed, interesting option I wasn't aware of.

I've done that. Is it possible to change the Default Location where new projects and files are to be created? At the moment it points to the folder where my 'alt' workspace is defined.

Cheers,
Dimitri
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1430261 is a reply to message #1430044] Wed, 24 September 2014 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The simple answer is "no". As soon as you start making changes in Luna, there's potential for the project to no longer be usable in Juno. Back up the workspace and your Juno installation, and avail yourself of any version control systems to which your projects may be connected.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1430426 is a reply to message #1430261] Wed, 24 September 2014 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Nitin Dahyabhai, thnx for taking the time to answer and making me aware of potential problems in the future.

But I suspected the answer would be NO, and I certainly don't feel like your Avatar does. Do I have to do this for my PHP, C, Android projects too?

CSS was invented so that presentation would be separate from logic and content. MVC, 3 Tier. I would have expected the same from an IDE. I don't understand why an IDE should have any effect on the source code of a project, especially when the language is independent of the IDE.
Why can't Eclipse's Metadata be stored in a separate location from the source code?

Even MS Word can still open old format documents and save them in the old formats (as long as you don't use new features) as well. And I'm not very fond of MS Office products.

Surely there must be a solution to this problem, even if shared workspace isn't it.

Dimitri.
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1431281 is a reply to message #1430426] Thu, 25 September 2014 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Eclipse's workspace metadata is stored separately from your project files. It's just that the default location when creating or checking out a project is in the workspace folder (an unfortunate default in my opinion, but one that has been there since the beginning and won't likely change any time soon). But as Ed pointed out, it is easy to import your projects into a new workspace, Eclipse even offers the option to copy them over to the new workspace folder if you so choose. An alternative is to check your projects, including .classpath, .project, and .settings folder, into an SCM tool like cvs, svn, git, etc. Then you can check them out for any Eclipse workspace and place them anywhere on your file system you want.
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1431675 is a reply to message #1431281] Fri, 26 September 2014 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Eric, thnx.
I've pretty much done that. My workspace folders are in the Eclipse directory per language, and I've imported the source projects.

But what about Nitin's comment? I'm concerned that I might have a problem somewhere down the track at an inconvenient time.
Re: How to share workspace between Juno and Luna [message #1432042 is a reply to message #1431675] Fri, 26 September 2014 14:20 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
All Nitin is saying is that a workspace that is touched by Luna is no longer guaranteed to be compatible with Juno. So he recommends backing up your workspace before touching it with Luna, in case you want to go back to it with Juno later.
But you don't need to share the workspace between two versions of Eclipse, just share the projects. As I said, the two do not have to be co-located.
Previous Topic:Eclipse+PyDev problem
Next Topic:Eclipse Luna SR1 is here!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:21:56 GMT 2024