Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » How to create a new Setup
How to create a new Setup [message #1426924] Fri, 19 September 2014 12:39 Go to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend
Messages: 636
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

Hi,

Based on this wiki page https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring,
"A complete author's guide is currently under construction. A link will be published here when it is ready."

Is it something that will come soon?
Does it belong to the Oomph project, shoudl it be contained in org.eclipse.oomph.releng.helpcenter plugin?

On the wiki page, it explains that we should use the "CDO Release Engineering" Project. unfortunately, there is only "CDO Model Repository". i'm using the 1.0.0.Build_424 OOmph installer (and tried also in development mode from Master branch). Should we use another project?

Regards,


Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1426948 is a reply to message #1426924] Fri, 19 September 2014 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30463
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Aurelien,

I'm working working on the help center documentation right now (which
will replace this authoring wiki). It's is very time consuming! :-(

So unfortunately the wikis are quite outdated... We'll need to look at
those too...

And I probably need to update the new setup project wizard to reflect
the latest targlet design/usage...


On 19/09/2014 2:39 PM, Aurelien Pupier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on this wiki page
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring, "A complete author's
> guide is currently under construction. A link will be published here
> when it is ready."
>
> Is it something that will come soon?
> Does it belong to the Oomph project, shoudl it be contained in
> org.eclipse.oomph.releng.helpcenter plugin?
>
> On the wiki page, it explains that we should use the "CDO Release
> Engineering" Project. unfortunately, there is only "CDO Model
> Repository". i'm using the 1.0.0.Build_424 OOmph installer (and tried
> also in development mode from Master branch). Should we use another
> project?
>
> Regards,
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1426954 is a reply to message #1426948] Fri, 19 September 2014 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend
Messages: 636
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

Ed,

ok I see.
I was able to start working on creating my own setup by launching the "Setup" configuration from Oomph development environment.
If you need some help to review the help center documentation. Let me know, I will be happy to help.

regards,


Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1494735 is a reply to message #1426954] Mon, 01 December 2014 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Messages: 1252
Registered: October 2011
Senior Member
Your as written on this blog A quick update for future readers by Stefan Winkler:
Quote:
The new version of Oomph (which is now a separate Eclipse project) does not require copying models into the setup/Oomph folder anymore. Instead, after starting setup-eclipse, you can just drag and drop a user-created model into the projects tree after you have selected the Eclipse package.


And by Drag an Drop you need to really hit one of the folder (it will not work if you drop in the empty space)

index.php/fa/20087/0/

I took the liberty to mention this thread on the wiki page.

By the way: thank you a lot for this nice tool and all your work on it.
  • Attachment: DnD_setup.png
    (Size: 45.65KB, Downloaded 2673 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2014 18:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1494755 is a reply to message #1494735] Mon, 01 December 2014 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6445
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 01.12.2014 um 19:17 schrieb Jeremie Bresson:
> Your as written on this blog http://www.winklerweb.net/index.php/blog/12-eclipse/20-creating-custom-installations-with-oomph#comment-69 Stefan Winkler:
> Quote:
>> The new version of Oomph (which is now a separate Eclipse project) does not require copying models into the setup/Oomph folder anymore. Instead, after starting setup-eclipse, you can just drag and drop a user-created model into the projects tree after you have selected the Eclipse package.
>
> And by Drag an Drop you need to really hit one of the folder (it will not work if you drop in the empty space)
>
>
>
> I took the liberty to mention this thread on the wiki page.
Of course any help with wiki is highly appreciated.

Where exactly did you add that detail? I couldn't find it. I thought this could be a good place:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_FAQ#How_can_I_add_my_own_setup_files.3F

BTW. we were talking about another new way to add own project (or even product) setups. That would be via the green plus
button on the two catalog pages. Currently they only support adding existing setup files, but in theory they could also
create (and link in) new, empty models and provision and IDE to start authoring them.

>
> By the way: thank you a lot for this nice tool and all your work on it.
Thanks for the feedback, it's a lot of fun to work on Oomph ;-)

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1495548 is a reply to message #1494755] Tue, 02 December 2014 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Messages: 1252
Registered: October 2011
Senior Member
Thanks for your quick answer.

I think the green plus would be a nice way. I have tried to click on it.
(have you a change request bug for this?)

The wiki page I have changed is the one mentioned by Aurelien in its first post:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring (diff)

I will try to update the FAQ page and the Authoring page (probabelly when the change request is made => metionning the green "+" is easier than describing a drag and drop area).
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1495596 is a reply to message #1495548] Tue, 02 December 2014 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6445
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 02.12.2014 um 10:51 schrieb Jeremie Bresson:
> Thanks for your quick answer.
>
> I think the green plus would be a nice way. I have tried to click on it.
> (have you a change request bug for this?)
No, it's currently not top priority. You can help us by submitting a respective enhancement request (not much text
needed) ;-)

>
> The wiki page I have changed is the one mentioned by Aurelien in its first post:
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring
> (https://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring&diff=374451&oldid=366805)
Cool. Thanks again!

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


>
> I will try to update the FAQ page and the Authoring page (probabelly when the change request is made => metionning the
> green "+" is easier than describing a drag and drop area).


Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1562762 is a reply to message #1426954] Tue, 13 January 2015 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Messages: 3071
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Aurelien Pupier wrote on Fri, 19 September 2014 13:22
I was able to start working on creating my own setup by launching the "Setup" configuration from Oomph development environment.

Aurélien,
Can you elaborate on what you've done to get that far? I'm trying to get up and running but am getting nowhere. Without the Authoring documentation I'm totally lost. I was hoping I could use the Oomph Installer to bootstrap an Oomph dev environment, but there's no instructions that I can find for doing so.
It sounds like you've gotten well down the path I want to travel; can you share your roadmap?

Thanks,
Eric
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1563410 is a reply to message #1562762] Wed, 14 January 2015 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend
Messages: 636
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, FRANCE
Senior Member

Hi Eric,



  • Use Oomph installer and install Oomph environment
  • In the Oomph Dev Environment, launch the "IDE" launch configuration
  • In the new launched Eclipse, File->New->Other...->Oomph->Setup project model
  • then follow wizard (take care to fill the "Folder" parameter to enable the finish button)


If you need more details, I will try to provide some screenshots in few days.

Regards,


Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1563713 is a reply to message #1562762] Wed, 14 January 2015 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6445
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Eric,

Comments below...

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


Am 13.01.2015 um 23:29 schrieb Eric Rizzo:
> Aurelien Pupier wrote on Fri, 19 September 2014 13:22
>> I was able to start working on creating my own setup by launching the "Setup" configuration from Oomph development
>> environment.
>
> Aurélien,
> Can you elaborate on what you've done to get that far? I'm trying to get up and running but am getting nowhere.
What exactly are you trying to achieve, e.g.,
- use the Oomph Installer to provision a workspace for an existing, registered project (such as Oomph itself)?
- use the Oomph Author's tools (such as the "Setup Project Model" wizard and the "Setup Editor") to create a new project
model?
- use the Oomph Extender's tools (such as the "Setup Task Extension" wizard to create new task implementations?
- or just use the Oomph Runtime (the setup engine) to manage your user preferences (and other things) as setup tasks
across workspaces?

> Without the Authoring documentation I'm totally lost.
I just replied to a similar question in another thread:

Project models must be registered in a project catalog, which, in turn, is registered in our (or your own) index file.
For creating a project setup file please use the "New Project Setup" wizard that we provide. It creates an initial
XYZ.setup file in an existing workspace project. You can edit that file with the Oomph Setup editor and finally drag it
onto a project catalog on the second page of the Oomph Installer (advanced mode, second page "Projects") to be able to
select it test if you can provision a workspace for your new project successfully.

There I forgot to mention that it might also be helpful to "bootstrap" a new project setup model by copying one of the
existing models. In the main menu of Eclipse click on "Navigate -> Open Setup -> Parent Models -> Open Catalog Index".
In the model that's opened you find the "Eclipse.org" project catalog and can select "Open in (Setup|Text) Editor" on
any element.

> I was hoping I could use the Oomph Installer to bootstrap an Oomph dev environment, but there's no instructions that I
> can find for doing so.
That's definitely possible and not too difficult. I suspect that you ran into the brand new "simple mode" of the Oomph
Installer, which is the default if you run it for the first time. The simple mode is mostly meant to be the simplest
possible replacement for the Eclipse.org download page (plus VM management and optional p2 bundle pooling). To provision
workspaces with registered projects you need to switch to the advanced mode (tool button in the upper right corner). Was
that the problem? If not, please explain what you've tried.


Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1697342 is a reply to message #1563713] Wed, 03 June 2015 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Dumitrescu is currently offline Vlad DumitrescuFriend
Messages: 430
Registered: July 2009
Location: Gothenburg
Senior Member
Hi!

The Mars release is now close and I wonder if the authoring documentation will be available then. Currently I find it difficult to understand what I have to do to setup my own environment (there seem to be missing bits and pieces that the Eclipse projects have).

Thanks!
Vlad
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1697356 is a reply to message #1697342] Wed, 03 June 2015 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30463
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Vlad,

Unfortunately we've spent 150% of our time making everything work well
for the Mars release, and hence 0% of our time on documentation. :-(

Perhaps you'll come to EclipseCon France for our tutorial...


On 03/06/2015 12:18 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The Mars release is now close and I wonder if the authoring
> documentation will be available then. Currently I find it difficult to
> understand what I have to do to setup my own environment (there seem
> to be missing bits and pieces that the Eclipse projects have).
>
> Thanks!
> Vlad
>
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1697357 is a reply to message #1697356] Wed, 03 June 2015 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Dumitrescu is currently offline Vlad DumitrescuFriend
Messages: 430
Registered: July 2009
Location: Gothenburg
Senior Member
Unfortunately, I can't be there... But I understand your situation. I hope that there will be some time for that afterwards. The docs don't have to be much more detailed than the existing ones (although it would help), but should at least be updated to the realities of the latest version.

regards,
Vlad
Re: How to create a new Setup [message #1699079 is a reply to message #1426924] Sat, 20 June 2015 12:47 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6445
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 19.09.2014 um 14:39 schrieb Aurelien Pupier:
> Hi,
>
> Based on this wiki page https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring, "A complete author's guide is currently
> under construction. A link will be published here when it is ready."
>
> Is it something that will come soon?
I've now updated the wiki article for setup authors to reflect the latest developments:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring

Please feel free to fix mistakes there or even add new content.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


Previous Topic:How to reuse Source Locator for a custom Task
Next Topic:Creating a custom installer for a project outside the Project Catalogue
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Sep 22 22:48:50 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02670 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top