Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Partially Reloading Target Platform
Partially Reloading Target Platform [message #1426799] Fri, 19 September 2014 08:25
Bernhard Buss is currently offline Bernhard BussFriend
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to only reload certain parts of the target platform. In our project, we have so many plugins in various target update sites, that reloading the target takes an inefficiently long time: 10min for loading the target plugins, and another 15min for rebuilding everything.

If we could only reload parts of the target platform (say only from certain update sites), and in addition only have to rebuild/clean those plugins that have been reloaded, then both loading time and rebuilding time should come down significantly.

Therefore my questions:

1) Is it possible to only reload parts of the target platform?

2) If not, what would it take (technically) to make it possible?
A solution would probably look something like this:
- Select features or plugins, or update sites to be reloaded.
- Only download the artefacts from that list
- Only invalidate/rebuild the jars newly downloaded
- Don't do a full build, instead let the builder do an incremental build (builder will then only build dependent plugins in workspace)

Thanks,
Bernhard

PS: please note that with "update site" I don't mean online update sites, we have mirrored p2 repositories and update sites on the internal network. So it is not about download performance, it is simply the sheer number of artefacts that slows it down.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2014 08:27]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:how to add images folder to feature
Next Topic:Eclipse Plugin jar dependencies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:31:59 GMT 2024