Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04
Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1416099] Thu, 04 September 2014 10:06 Go to next message
Kevin Kirn is currently offline Kevin KirnFriend
Hello

We would like to deploy an eclipse scout application on an ubuntu 12.04 server. We've manually installed tomcat7 (7.0.55) as described here:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-apache-tomcat-on-ubuntu-12-04

Installation of tomcat looks fine, example webapps are running without any problems. However, after deploy of an eclipse scout test project's server part, we've tried to open "url-of-our-server:8080/test_server/" - a 404 not found exception is shown.

after deploy, /home/tomcat7/logs/catalina.out shows no errors - but also no log such as scout server was startet.

we tried to "reload" the webapp using tomcat's manager app, after that we see errors like this in catalina.out.

04.09.2014 11:38:46 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
INFO: Reloading Context with name [/test_server] has started
04.09.2014 11:38:47 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks
SCHWERWIEGEND: The web application [/test_server] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module$1] (value [org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module$1@f1e2d9]) and a value of type [java.lang.Boolean] (value [false]) but failed to remove it when th$

For testing, we deployed the same war file on a windows based tomcat server where it's running just fine.

Any idea what's could be wrong ?

Thanks

Edit: fix the URL and format the Log

[Updated on: Thu, 04 September 2014 10:26] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1416191 is a reply to message #1416099] Thu, 04 September 2014 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barust Mising name is currently offline barust Mising nameFriend
Hi Kevin Kirn.

When I looked at the recommended link: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-apache-tomcat-on-ubuntu-12-04 , I doubted to Step Two--Install Java:
Quote:
sudo apt-get install default-jdk

thereby you have installed OpenJDK. I would recommend to install: oracle-java7-installer and oracle-java7-set-default, how to install here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/197248/java-on-ubuntu-server-12-04, but before that remove default-jdk.
I think it's one of the reasons for the error.

Also take a look here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Tutorial/4.0/Deploy_to_Tomcat

[Updated on: Thu, 04 September 2014 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1416199 is a reply to message #1416191] Thu, 04 September 2014 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bakhtiyor Ruzimatov

Using oracle jdk did the trick.

Really appreciate your help
Re: Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1423057 is a reply to message #1416199] Sat, 13 September 2014 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UPDATE:
Our eclipse scout projects (server part) failed to run with JRE 1.7 - switching to JRE 1.8 solved all issues.
Re: Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1423094 is a reply to message #1423057] Sat, 13 September 2014 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Geesen is currently offline Dennis GeesenFriend
I'm also running scout on Ubuntu 12.04 and I also have a manually installed tomcat 7.0.55. I'm using sun/oracle JDK 1.7 and have no problems.

My assumption: you have different versions of Java installed and there are different/wrong environment variables that point to different java installations... And I guess that your last install has overwritten the misconfigured 1.7 version...
Check which versions of Java are installed and which you are currently using:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

Then, check your JAVA_HOME, e.g. by:
printenv | grep JAVA

Re: Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1423339 is a reply to message #1423094] Sun, 14 September 2014 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dennis

First of all, thanks for your reply.
Java installation and config was in our point of view ok.

We observed following behavior while deploying our eclipse scout projects:

On a windows machine having Java JRE 7 or JDK 7 installed, we created our first sample project.
Deployed it successfully on an ubuntu 12.04 server (Tomcat 7 and Oracle Java JRE / JDK 1.7).

After that we created a project on a MacBook running OSX Yosemite (Java JRE / JDK 1.Cool or an windows machine running Windows 8.1 (Java JRE /JDK 1.Cool. So on both - JRE / JDK 1.8 was installed.

When we tried to deploy those projects, we ran into a "404 Servlet not found error" as described above. After we updated Java to 1.8 on our app server - those projects were running without problems.

So we assume:
If we build a scout project with JDK 1.8 installed on host, we need to have installed JRE 1.8 on our server.

Best regards
Kevin
Re: Deploy on Ubuntu 12.04 [message #1423382 is a reply to message #1423339] Sun, 14 September 2014 10:08 Go to previous message
Dennis Geesen is currently offline Dennis GeesenFriend
Ah ok - that goes into the same "different versions" direction Wink

Yes, it is always a quite good idea to use the same versions.

In OSGi/Equinox you can define a "minimum java version" for your bundles. Although Equinox is started without any errors, there might be some one or more bundles that don't fulfill the version requirement. Those bundles (and all other bundles that depend on them) are not started by Equinox... So, it looks like "everything is started and ok", but in real your application has not been started completely...

You can also set the execution environment in the eclipse settings that is used as default or for specific minimum java version. Same thing is used in the product definition (e.g. "*-server.product").
In another OSGi project I had equal problems with Java 6 and Java 7. And Java 7 on Mac (Apple itself only shipped Java 6) is also a terrible thing and did the rest of total version confusion...

However, you solved the problem by using the same Java version Smile

Previous Topic:RAP customize loading panel
Next Topic:LookupService not working in swt-client.product
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:03:34 GMT 2024