Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Pure e4 application with GEF
Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1414787] Mon, 01 September 2014 09:45 Go to next message
Tanguy Mezzano is currently offline Tanguy MezzanoFriend
Hello,

We are working with a GEF based RCP in e3 in our company since a few years, we are now planning to upgrade to e4.
I've read in the mailing list on date of February 13th of 2013, GEF wasn't completely supported in a pure e4 application, is it still the case now?

What is the status and the best option for us to port our GEF RCP to e4? Do we need the compatibility plugin?

Thanks,

Tanguy

PS: I did not get any answer in the mailing list
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1414983 is a reply to message #1414787] Mon, 01 September 2014 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Nyssen is currently offline Alexander NyssenFriend
Sorry for not having answered yet. I was quite busy the last couple of days.

Yes, if you want to use Draw2d/GEF (MVC) 3.x or Zest 1.x you will be bound to use the 3.x compatibility layer. Because of its dependencies it is not possible to use GEF 3.x in native e4 applications (and we will not be able to change this because it would make API breaking changes necessary). We are targeting native e4 support with the new GEF4 components (see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=372171), which will also be usable in a standalone scenario (even outside of Eclipse).

May I ask what your motivation for this migration step is? Do you require any specific e4 functionalities?

PS: The forum is the better place for such kind of questions anyway. But again, sorry for not having responded yet.
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1694983 is a reply to message #1414983] Mon, 11 May 2015 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Sharples is currently offline Colin SharplesFriend

FWIW, it is certainly possible to use Draw2D alone in a pure e4 app, it's just GEF that has the dependency on the compatibility layer. I'm actually using GEF4 geometry in my model layer with v.3 Draw2D for the figures, which will help make the transition easier when GEF4 has full e4 support. For the moment, I am still running my GEF3 editor in an old eclipse app. I did have a stab at migrating GraphicalEditor to e4, but put it in the too hard basket.

Colin Sharples
CTG Games Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1695571 is a reply to message #1694983] Sun, 17 May 2015 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have provided some update on https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=372171 relate to this. Maybe that is of interest...
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1704057 is a reply to message #1695571] Fri, 07 August 2015 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
I am starting the development of an eclipse e4 RCP application. I need a vector graphical diagram in a e4 "part" that is responsive to mouse events (mouseover, rightmouseclick, leftmouseclick, etc...) The vector graphical diagram will have no end user palette. The vector graphical diagram can not be changed by the end user. The vector graphical diagram will just serve as a picture from which the end user is to pick a subcomponent (vector piece) on which to right click to popup a context menu. Then a listener will take the mouse click to start a wizard or give focus to any already open panel based on the vector piece that was under the mouse when clicked. I must also have infinite zoom and the ability to click and drag the whole GEF figure within the GEF view to see sections of the diagram that are off the viewbox but don't need a zoom to see.

Since I am a newbie to Eclipse plug-in development and after reading this thread about GEF4 not being fully ready for e4, I am concerned that GEF4 is not ready for what I want to do. Given the limited GEF4 feature set that I need, can GEF4 be used without including the 3.x compatibility layer?

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1705071 is a reply to message #1694983] Tue, 11 August 2015 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
@ Colin Sharples

Would you have a simple Draw2D e4 part that just draws a circle? I am a newbie to eclipse and GEF.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1705432 is a reply to message #1705071] Sat, 15 August 2015 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would not recommend to use Draw2d in this context. GEF4 is based on JavaFX and GEF4 FX for rendering purposes, so it will not make a transition easier if you use the old rendering technology.

Actually, GEF4 can already be used standalone (all Eclipse UI-dependencies are clearly separated), so using it in a native e4 app should be no problem. The only dependency the "core" has on the platform is org.eclipse.core.commands, for which no e4 counterpart existed (and I am not sure if this has changed so far).

As laid out before, only the UI-integration layer we provide is still based on the compatibility layer.
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1708436 is a reply to message #1705432] Wed, 16 September 2015 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raydel Leyva Blanco is currently offline Raydel Leyva BlancoFriend
I'm doing a project with E4 and JavaFX, I want to display a graph using Zest2 but following the example AbstractZestExample need a Stage and do not see how I can use the FXViewer without creating a new scene. I want to put the viewer in a SplitPane in a specified position of the application.
Re: Pure e4 application with GEF [message #1708491 is a reply to message #1708436] Thu, 17 September 2015 07:02 Go to previous message
This has been answered in https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1070321/.
Previous Topic:Mouse location in FreeformViewPort on vertical scrolling.
Next Topic:Re: E4 plug-in's are not visible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:25:44 GMT 2024