Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » RCP Application Wizard does not create .project file.(Using the RCP Application Wizard appears to work correctly, no errors appear, but the project is not created.)
RCP Application Wizard does not create .project file. [message #1413726] Fri, 29 August 2014 09:26 Go to next message
Richard Jefferies is currently offline Richard JefferiesFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2014
Junior Member
I am a complete newbie to Eclipse and Java. I am trying to work through the book "Eclipse 4 RCP" by Lars Vogel. Initially I was using Kepler Service Release 2. The operating system is Windows XP. I installed the Kepler e4 Tools via the update manager.

Everything works as described until chapter 9 when I try to use the wizard to create a new RCP application.

I navigate to New >> Other >> Eclipse 4 Application Project and follow all the steps in the wizard. The wizard finishes without any error messages appearing.

According to the book "The wizard creates all the necessary files to start your application. The central file for starting your application is the .product file created in your project folder."

However, I have looked in all the various nested folders and there is no .project file anywhere. If I click on "Launch Eclipse Application" on the summary pages which appears after the wizard exits, this starts a new instance of Eclipse but without opening anything.


Scenario 2:

I thought I would try it with more up to date software so I also installed Luna Release (4.4.0), and I installed the Luna e4 Tools via the update manager.

This time the result is more or less the same (no .project file created) but I get a bit more feedback.

I get one warning: "The folder "icons/" does not exist in the workspace". In fact it does because I created it manually but maybe I created in the wrong place (I put it directly in the workspace).

I get the following messages in the console:

!SESSION 2014-08-29 10:59:44.618 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_60
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=es_ES
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.platform.ide
Command-line arguments: -product org.eclipse.platform.ide -data C:\!Eclipse\Workspace/../runtime-EclipseApplication -dev file:C:/!Eclipse/Workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/Eclipse Application/dev.properties -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -consoleLog

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 1 0 2014-08-29 10:59:50.165
!MESSAGE Nothing to merge for "platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.e4.tools.emf.ui/fragment.e4xmi"

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 1 0 2014-08-29 10:59:50.181
!MESSAGE Nothing to merge for "platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.e4.tools.emf.ui/fragment.e4xmi"

!ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.ui 2 0 2014-08-29 10:59:58.838
!MESSAGE Warning: EGit couldn't detect the installation path "gitPrefix" of native Git. Hence EGit can't respect system level
Git settings which might be configured in ${gitPrefix}/etc/gitconfig under the native Git installation directory.
The most important of these settings is core.autocrlf. Git for Windows by default sets this parameter to true in
this system level configuration. The Git installation location can be configured on the
Team > Git > Configuration preference page's 'System Settings' tab.
This warning can be switched off on the Team > Git > Confirmations and Warnings preference page.

I am hoping there is a clue in these messages that someone will be able to point out. Particularly, what does the "Nothing to merge" message mean?

Thanks in advance for any help.


Re: RCP Application Wizard does not create .project file. [message #1413951 is a reply to message #1413726] Fri, 29 August 2014 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 08/29/2014 06:17 AM, Richard Jefferies wrote:
> I am a complete newbie to Eclipse and Java. I am trying to work through
> the book "Eclipse 4 RCP" by Lars Vogel.
> [snip]

There used to be a Google-based support group for Lars' stuff.

> Scenario 2:
>
> I thought I would try it with more up to date software so I also
> installed Luna Release (4.4.0), and I installed the Luna e4 Tools via
> the update manager.
>
> This time the result is more or less the same (no .project file created)
> but I get a bit more feedback.
>
> I get one warning: "The folder "icons/" does not exist in the
> workspace". In fact it does because I created it manually but maybe I
> created in the wrong place (I put it directly in the workspace).
>[snip]

I don't do plugins, however, I'm pretty certain you don't want to put it
at the root of your workspace. I looked at the tutorial and, without
performing it, I don't know what Lars means by "bundleclass:" and
"platform:", but at very least you know it should be on a deeper path
such as _____/plugin/test/icons.

I hope this helps a little, but you'll likely not get much more help in
this forum, especially this coming (US) holiday weekend.
Re: RCP Application Wizard does not create .project file. [message #1416088 is a reply to message #1413951] Thu, 04 September 2014 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Jefferies is currently offline Richard JefferiesFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2014
Junior Member
Hi Russell, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it is surprising that there is no separate forum or support offered for this book, but the book itself and the Vogella website make it clear that readers are supposed to look to the wider Eclipse community for help.

You say you don't do plugins, but one thing that is bothering me is that I wasn't trying to do a plugin either. I was navigating to File >> New >> Other.. and then Eclipse 4 >> Eclipse 4 Application Project. However the wizard that opens up is titled "New Plugin Project". Is it possible that there is a bug in the menu and it is opening the wrong wizard? Or is a Plugin project the default project type associated with an Eclipse 4 Application?

I haven't been able to find anything on the "Nothing to merge" errors either but will keep looking. Thanks again for your help.
Re: RCP Application Wizard does not create .project file. [message #1417260 is a reply to message #1416088] Fri, 05 September 2014 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 09/04/2014 03:46 AM, Richard Jefferies wrote:
> Hi Russell, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it is surprising that
> there is no separate forum or support offered for this book, but the
> book itself and the Vogella website make it clear that readers are
> supposed to look to the wider Eclipse community for help.
>
> You say you don't do plugins, but one thing that is bothering me is that
> I wasn't trying to do a plugin either. I was navigating to File >> New
> >> Other.. and then Eclipse 4 >> Eclipse 4 Application Project. However
> the wizard that opens up is titled "New Plugin Project". Is it possible
> that there is a bug in the menu and it is opening the wrong wizard? Or
> is a Plugin project the default project type associated with an Eclipse
> 4 Application?
>
> I haven't been able to find anything on the "Nothing to merge" errors
> either but will keep looking. Thanks again for your help.

Ah, okay.

I assume you wish to develop a Java application. Here's how.

1. Download Eclipse IDE for Java (or Java EE) Developers from
eclipse.org. Explode it someplace like /home/richard/dev/eclipse (or
C:\Users\richard\dev). Hereafter my paths will be for Unix/Linux, but
you can translate.

2. Download a proper JDK from Sun (java.sun.com). (I don't use the O
word, but this URL will get you to the right place.)

3. Install the JDK ** privately ** some place like
/home/richard/dev/jdk1.7.0_67. Don't install in on your computer as THE
Java. This is so the computer's JRE, likely fine and already there, is
updated and runs all your other Java applications independently. Then,
what you're doing with Eclipse is NEVER disturbed by that.

4. Wire the JDK up to Eclipse by following
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini.

5. Create a workspace somewhere like /home/richard/dev/workspace.

6. Launch Eclipse and tell the opening dialog about your workspace.
Maybe tell it always to open that one and not bug you about it.

7. Create your first project by doing File -> New -> Other... -> Java
Project (or, if a web application is what you want, choose Web ->
Dynamic Web Project).

From this point, you should follow a tutorial like the excellent ones
provided at vogella.de.

Hope this helps.
Re: RCP Application Wizard does not create .project file. [message #1419238 is a reply to message #1417260] Mon, 08 September 2014 09:51 Go to previous message
Richard Jefferies is currently offline Richard JefferiesFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2014
Junior Member
OK Russell, thanks again. The situation is that I can create a Java project with no problem using my existing set-up. The reason I wanted to create an Eclipse 4 Application Project with the E4 tools is because I had shelled out on this book thinking it was good to learn the most cutting edge technology. I get the impression that being new also means perhaps it isn't so reliable and there isn't so much help available when you come across a bug. I think I will take your advice and stick with standard Java projects for now. Further down the road if I get a chance to try the Eclipse 4 thing on a different machine I will do that. I have been trying to do it on a development machine with XP that has had just about everything installed on it over the years, the problem might be there somewhere.
Previous Topic:Install Problem
Next Topic:offline userguides required
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Oct 14 18:14:53 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02841 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top