Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph & Check for updates(After updating, oomph generates p2 errors)
Oomph & Check for updates [message #1404486] Fri, 01 August 2014 19:03 Go to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
I am wondering about the compatibility between Oomph and "Checking for updates". The Oomph FAQ says that you can still use the standard update, but after I tried it I got a lot of errors from p2 when Oomph executed the startup tasks. It complains about being unable to install certain components, but as the errors before show, some of them say they cannot satisfy a dependency but don't say which one. What could be the problem?



eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Error
Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.

eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Error
Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
Cannot satisfy dependency:

eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Error
Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
Only one of the following can be installed at once:

eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Error
Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
Ecore Tools Documentation 1.2.0.201306071421 (org.eclipse.emf.ecoretools.doc 1.2.0.201306071421)

eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Error
Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
Ecore Tools Documentation 2.0.0.201406112035 (org.eclipse.emf.ecoretools.doc 2.0.0.201406112035)

eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Error
Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
Software being installed: artificial_root 1.0.0
Re: Oomph & Check for updates [message #1404498 is a reply to message #1404486] Sat, 02 August 2014 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30996
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ernesto,

Comments below.

On 01/08/2014 9:03 PM, Ernesto Posse wrote:
> I am wondering about the compatibility between Oomph and "Checking for
> updates". The Oomph FAQ says that you can still use the standard update,
I doubt that's true anymore with the latest design. Unlike p2's install
dialog, Oomph really treats the root IUs you specify as requirements and
to do that, it specifies a "fake" root IU to contain those requirements,
and that shows up in the profile, i.e., like this for one of my
installations:

<unit id='artificial_root' version='1.0.0' singleton='false'>
<properties size='1'>
<property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.type.group' value='true'/>
</properties>
<provides size='1'>
<provided namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='artificial_root' version='1.0.0'/>
</provides>
<requires size='17'>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='com.mbartl.viplugin.eclipse.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.ee.feature.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.swtbot.ide.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.swtbot.generator.feature.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='epp.package.standard' range='[4.4.0,4.5.0)'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.platform.feature.group' range='[4.4.0,4.5.0)'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.rcp.feature.group' range='[4.4.0,4.5.0)'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group' range='[3.10.0,3.11.0)'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.pde.feature.group' range='[3.10.0,3.11.0)'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.setup.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.targlets.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.setup.targlets.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.setup.pde.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.setup.git.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.egit.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.setup.workingsets.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu'
name='org.eclipse.oomph.setup.projects.feature.group' range='0.0.0'/>
</requires>
<touchpoint id='null' version='0.0.0'/>
</unit>

So a normal update won't find those. Of course you can always invoke
your manual Oomph tasks, and enable only the p2 task to do an update
(and that will properly respect the version ranges specified on the
requirements of the p2 task, so you won't accidentally upgrade Kepler to
Luna just because the p2 repo for Luna happened to be search). And of
course that approach will be dramatically faster using bundle pools,
than will a direct update. You'll find your profiles in
<bundle-pool-location>/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry

> but after I tried it I got a lot of errors from p2 when Oomph executed
> the startup tasks. It complains about being unable to install certain
> components, but as the errors before show, some of them say they
> cannot satisfy a dependency but don't say which one. What could be the
> problem?
>
>
>
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
> java.version=1.7.0_51
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments: -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
> Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> Error
> Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
> Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
> java.version=1.7.0_51
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments: -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
> Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> Error
> Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
> Cannot satisfy dependency:
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
> java.version=1.7.0_51
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments: -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
> Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> Error
> Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
> Only one of the following can be installed at once:
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
> java.version=1.7.0_51
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments: -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
> Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> Error
> Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
> Ecore Tools Documentation 1.2.0.201306071421
> (org.eclipse.emf.ecoretools.doc 1.2.0.201306071421)
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
> java.version=1.7.0_51
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments: -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
> Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> Error
> Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
> Ecore Tools Documentation 2.0.0.201406112035
> (org.eclipse.emf.ecoretools.doc 2.0.0.201406112035)
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.0.I20140606-1215
> java.version=1.7.0_51
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments: -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
> Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product -keyring
> /Users/eposse/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
> Error
> Fri Aug 01 14:41:26 EDT 2014
> Software being installed: artificial_root 1.0.0
>
Re: Oomph &amp; Check for updates [message #1404640 is a reply to message #1404498] Mon, 04 August 2014 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
Hi. Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. Right now I'm an end-user, rather than authoring a setup, so I haven't specified any requirements myself (nor do I know what the roles of these profiles are). Essentially, I'd like to know, as an end-user, the following:

1) can I use the normal check-for-updates? (which you suggest it probably won't work now)
2) if not, how do I update installed features? (do I just run "Perform Setup Tasks..."?
3) can I install new features with "Install New Software..." or "Eclipse Marketplace..."? I've tried this (installing Xtend on top of an Oomph-installed Papyrus) and while it seems to work, I get errors on Xtext in catalogs.setup (see below), and I get some version errors when building some Xtend projects, so I'm not sure if this is installed correctly (which is why I tried to update).
4) If I cannot install new features with "Install New Software..." or "Eclipse Marketplace...", then how can I do that? Would I need to create my own "setup" file? That would seem overly complicated from the end-user perspective.

Thanks.

Problems on Children
 This has the problem that it requires a Mac-specific fragment. (org.eclipse.xtext.releng)
    The source URI 'This has the problem that it requires a Mac-specific fragment.' is not well formed
    The source URI 'This has the problem that it requires a Mac-specific fragment.' is not well formed
    The source URI 'This has the problem that it requires a Mac-specific fragment.' is not well formed
 This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension (${git.clone.xtext.location/examples/org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.examples/contents/org.eclipse.xtext.example.gmf.models})
    The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension' is not well formed
    The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension' is not well formed
    The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension' is not well formed
 This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder (${git.clone.xtext.location/examples/org.eclipse.xtend.examples-container/contents/xtend-euler})
    The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder' is not well formed
    The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder' is not well formed
    The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder' is not well formed

Re: Oomph &amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1404653 is a reply to message #1404640] Mon, 04 August 2014 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30996
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Enresto,

Comments below.

On 04/08/2014 5:40 PM, Ernesto Posse wrote:
> Hi. Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. Right now I'm an end-user, rather
> than authoring a setup, so I haven't specified any requirements myself
> (nor do I know what the roles of these profiles are). Essentially, I'd
> like to know, as an end-user, the following:
>
> 1) can I use the normal check-for-updates? (which you suggest it
> probably won't work now)
Actually I tried this myself and it did work. When closely at your log,
Eike pointed out that it looks like there were problems with conflicting
versions of Ecore Tools...
> 2) if not, how do I update installed features? (do I just run "Perform
> Setup Tasks..."?
If you want to install something, you'll probably want to do that a lot,
so yes, you could create a p2 task in your user.setup (like what I did
in mine to install vi plugin in every IDE).
> 3) can I install new features with "Install New Software..." or
> "Eclipse Marketplace..."? I've tried this (installing Xtend on top of
> an Oomph-installed Papyrus) and while it seems to work, I get errors
> on Xtext in catalogs.setup (see below), and I get some version errors
> when building some Xtend projects, so I'm not sure if this is
> installed correctly (which is why I tried to update).
Yes, this is my bogus annotation of their model. I'm still working on
it, so I marked up the things that were problematic, and I did so in a
way that's not a well formed URI according to the constraints. It can be
safely ignored, for the time being.
> 4) If I cannot install new features with "Install New Software..." or
> "Eclipse Marketplace...", then how can I do that?
Actually, as you noticed, it seems you can. But Ecore Tools comes in
two incompatible flavors 1.x and 2.0x, so updating from one to the other
could be problematic, which appears to be the problem you noticed.
> Would I need to create my own "setup" file? That would seem overly
> complicated from the end-user perspective.
There's a button in the toolbar to open your user.setup. A p2 task is
easy to create. Whatever URL you enter in the install new software
dialog, use that as the repository, and when you choose an item in the
check box tree, you can use the details view to see the IU ID, and use
that in your p2 task. Then this thing will always be installed in every
IDE you provision (which in the end is easier than doing the same thing
again and again).
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Problems on Children
> This has the problem that it requires a Mac-specific fragment.
> (org.eclipse.xtext.releng)
> The source URI 'This has the problem that it requires a
> Mac-specific fragment.' is not well formed
> The source URI 'This has the problem that it requires a
> Mac-specific fragment.' is not well formed
> The source URI 'This has the problem that it requires a
> Mac-specific fragment.' is not well formed
> This project can't be materlized because it has no component extension
> (${git.clone.xtext.location/examples/org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.examples/contents/org.eclipse.xtext.example.gmf.models})
> The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no
> component extension' is not well formed
> The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no
> component extension' is not well formed
> The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no
> component extension' is not well formed
> This project can't be materlized because it has no component
> extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder
> (${git.clone.xtext.location/examples/org.eclipse.xtend.examples-container/contents/xtend-euler})
> The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no
> component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder' is not
> well formed
> The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no
> component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder' is not
> well formed
> The source URI 'This project can't be materlized because it has no
> component extension; it's also missing the xtend-gen folder' is not
> well formed
>
>
Re: Oomph &amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1404657 is a reply to message #1404653] Mon, 04 August 2014 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
Thanks for the clarification.

I do see the task list for user.setup, but it's not obvious how to add a task to install a particular bundle. I see I can create a "P2 Director" child in the main list and I can add a repository where I presumably put the address for the update site. I can find the IDs of the items I'm interested in, but where do I put those in the task list? I tried creating a "Targlet" and providing an ID there. It seemed to fetched and install some plug-ins but not the full feature I was looking for (Xtend). Namely I do see xtend plugins under Installation Details, but no features, and there is no "New...>Xtend Class" or any other relevant options.

Furthermore, I see that under P2 director I can add "requirements". Does that mean I have to list all the feature's dependencies explicitly? In the Targlet's properties I see "Targlet URI"; is that an alternative URI for an update site, or something else? And in general, are all these things documented somewhere? How can I find out what each of the things you can put on a startup task are?

Thanks.











Do I have to create
Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1404684 is a reply to message #1404657] Tue, 05 August 2014 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30996
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
Ernesto,<br>
<br>
Comments below.<br>
<br>
<div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 04/08/2014 8:45 PM, Ernesto Posse
wrote:<br>
</div>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">Thanks
for the clarification. <br>
I do see the task list for user.setup, but it's not obvious how to
add a task to install a particular bundle.</blockquote>
More documentation would help...<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite"> I
see I can create a "P2 Director" child in the main list and I can
add a repository where I presumably put the address for the update
site.</blockquote>
Yes, and you can add requirements in which you can specify an ID
and, optionally, a version range.<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite"> I
can find the IDs of the items I'm interested in, but where do I
put those in the task list?</blockquote>
As a Requirement.<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite"> I
tried creating a "Targlet" and providing an ID there.</blockquote>
That's for things you want in the target platform.<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite"> It
seemed to fetched and install some plug-ins but not the full
feature I was looking for (Xtend). Namely I do see xtend plugins
under Installation Details, but no features, and there is no
"New...&gt;Xtend Class" or any other relevant options.
<br>
</blockquote>
Attached is how to capture all the details, i.e., figure out which
update side you want to work with, find the feature you're
interested in, select it, click the "More..." button, and in the
"General Information section, you see the identifier and the
version.   The "Work with" must be listed in the p2 task's
repositories and the Identifier  must be listed in the p2 task's
requirement; you don't have to specify a version range, because the
omni range is the default, but you can specify one if you want to
restrict your installation to a particular version of Xtend (because
you might end up with version 2.7 if some other p2 task lists a repo
that contains a higher version number).<br>
<br>
<img src="https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=getfile&amp;id=18771" alt=""><br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">
<br>
Furthermore, I see that under P2 director I can add
"requirements". Does that mean I have to list all the feature's
dependencies explicitly?</blockquote>
No, just the feature, i.e., org.eclipse.xtend.sdk.feature.group;
note that the ".feature.group" is the convention used by p2 to
indicate it's a feature as opposed to a bundle and the Requirement
will trim that and show a feature icon instead of a bundle icon.<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite"> In
the Targlet's properties I see "Targlet URI"; is that an
alternative URI for an update site, or something else? </blockquote>
Targlet tasks are the p2 task equivalent for populating the target
platform as opposed to installing things in the IDE itself.  I'll
likely add a targlet task to my user.setup because I'd like the vi
plugin to be available in my self hosted launches and only things
from the TP will be in my launches...<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">And
in general, are all these things documented somewhere? </blockquote>
Not in any significant detail, not.<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrokc5$3f2$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">How
can I find out what each of the things you can put on a startup
task are?
<br>
<br>
Thanks.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Do I have to create </blockquote>
<br>
</body>
</html>
  • Attachment: fdcechgg.png
    (Size: 95.87KB, Downloaded 225 times)
Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1404685 is a reply to message #1404657] Tue, 05 August 2014 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Ernesto,

Comments below...

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


Am 04.08.2014 um 20:45 schrieb Ernesto Posse:
> Thanks for the clarification.
> I do see the task list for user.setup, but it's not obvious how to add a task to install a particular bundle. I see I
> can create a "P2 Director" child in the main list and I can add a repository where I presumably put the address for
> the update site.
Correct.

> I can find the IDs of the items I'm interested in, but where do I put those in the task list?
In the P2 Director task you add requirements (i.e. installable unit ID plus version *range* ) and the p2 repositories
(with URLs) to resolve these requirements against. The only enhancement compared to normal p2 is that you *can* specifiy
a version range with an upper limit if you want. Please also note that the installable unit IDs for Eclipse features
must end in ".feature.group".

> I tried creating a "Targlet" and providing an ID there. It seemed to fetched and install some plug-ins but not the
> full feature I was looking for (Xtend). Namely I do see xtend plugins under Installation Details, but no features, and
> there is no "New...>Xtend Class" or any other relevant options.
Targlets are used to provision the target platform and the workspace. They don't change the set of plugins/features that
are installed in your IDE.

> Furthermore, I see that under P2 director I can add "requirements". Does that mean I have to list all the feature's
> dependencies explicitly?
No, you specify *your* requirements, not the requirements of your requirements.

> In the Targlet's properties I see "Targlet URI"; is that an alternative URI for an update site, or something else?
That property is currently not used. It's supposed (in the future) to *import* a targlet from a separate file.

> And in general, are all these things documented somewhere? How can I find out what each of the things you can put on a
> startup task are?
Unfortunately not very well, yet. There's some initial documentation in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Installer
and specifically in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring . But writing up erally good documentation is very
high on our list of things to do.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1404763 is a reply to message #1404685] Tue, 05 August 2014 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
Thanks Ed and Eike. That helped!

I did read the docs from the wiki, but I found no explanation about what are things such as a "Targlet", "p2 director", or anything that you explained. I realise that Oomph is still quite new, but it would be nice to have some end-user documentation.

A couple more questions. In a p2 Director's requirement's entry, what should be the "Namespace"? All examples I've seen use "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu" and that worked for me, but should it always be that? What is that namespace for?

When I tried installing Xtend using the Luna update site (http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna) it installed some xtend/xtext plugins but it didn't show any feature (even though I provided org.eclipse.xtend.sdk.feature.group as ID, like you said). Furthermore, there were no UI contributions (there should be at least "New...>Xtend Class". However, when I used the TMF update site (http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/) it did install the feature and UI contributions. So it sounds to me that there is some disparity between what is provided by the two sites, but in any case, if I specified a feature group as requirement, shouldn't here be a feature visible under "Installation Details"?

Thanks
Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1404775 is a reply to message #1404763] Tue, 05 August 2014 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
Am 05.08.2014 um 16:38 schrieb Ernesto Posse:<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">Thanks
Ed and Eike. That helped!
<br>
<br>
I did read the docs from the wiki, but I found no explanation
about what are things such as a "Targlet", "p2 director", or
anything that you explained. I realise that Oomph is still quite
new, but it would be nice to have some end-user documentation. <br>
</blockquote>
Very nice ;-)<br>
<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">A
couple more questions. In a p2 Director's requirement's entry,
what should be the "Namespace"? All examples I've seen use
"org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu" and that worked for me, but should it
always be that? What is that namespace for?
<br>
</blockquote>
First you should understand some of p2's core concepts:<br>
<br>
<img src="https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=getfile&amp;id=18785" alt=""><br>
Installable units (IUs) provide capabilities that are identified by
namespace+name+version. IUs express their own requirements against
the *capabilities* of other IUs by specifying namespace+name+version
*range* (and a couple more properties such as cardinality or match
expressions).<br>
<br>
All IUs are supposed to provide kind of a "self" capability, i.e., a
capability with namespace == "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu", name ==
IU.id and version == IU.version. That's why you use that namespace
when you want to require another IU.<br>
<br>
Other namespaces that exist at Eclipse are ("java.package" being of
particular interest):<br>
<br>
A.PDE.Target.Platform<br>
java.package<br>
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.eclipse.type<br>
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.flavor<br>
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu<br>
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.localization<br>
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.touchpoint.registration<br>
org.eclipse.gyrex.serverorg.eclipse.gyrex.products.server<br>
org.eclipse.update.feature<br>
org.slf4j.api<br>
osgi.bundle<br>
osgi.ee<br>
osgi.fragment<br>
toolingbase.product<br>
toolingepp.package.automotive<br>
toolingepp.package.cpp<br>
toolingepp.package.dsl<br>
toolingepp.package.edt<br>
toolingepp.package.java<br>
toolingepp.package.javascript<br>
toolingepp.package.jee<br>
toolingepp.package.linuxtools<br>
toolingepp.package.mobile<br>
toolingepp.package.modeling<br>
toolingepp.package.parallel<br>
toolingepp.package.php<br>
toolingepp.package.pulsar<br>
toolingepp.package.rcp<br>
toolingepp.package.reporting<br>
toolingepp.package.scout<br>
toolingepp.package.soa<br>
toolingepp.package.standard<br>
toolingepp.package.testing<br>
toolingkernel-base.product<br>
toolingnano.product<br>
toolingnano-base.product<br>
toolingnano-full.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.b3.cli.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.e4.workbench.sdk<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.emf.cdo.explorer.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.emf.cdo.releng.setup.installer.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.emf.cdo.releng.setup.product.ide<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.product.tcp_h2<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.admin.rcp.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.gyrex.products.server<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.koneki.ldt.product-product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.oomph.setup.installer.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.orion<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.platform.ide<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.platform.sdk<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rcp.id<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rcp.sdk.id<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rmf.reqif10.pror.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rt.osgistarterkit.product<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rt.webstarterkit<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rtp.package<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.rtp.package.headless<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.sdk.ide<br>
toolingorg.eclipse.stem.ui.product<br>
toolingtomcat-server.product<br>
toolingvirgo-nano.product<br>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">
When I tried installing Xtend using the Luna update site
(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna">http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna</a>) it installed some
xtend/xtext plugins but it didn't show </blockquote>
Where did you look?<br>
<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">any
feature (even though I provided
org.eclipse.xtend.sdk.feature.group as ID, like you said).
Furthermore, there were no UI contributions (there should be at
least "New...&gt;Xtend Class". However, when I used the TMF update
site
(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/">http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/</a>)
it did install the feature and UI contributions. So it sounds to
me that there is some disparity between what is provided by the
two sites, </blockquote>
That's possible in principle and AFAIK common practice at Eclipse. I
don't know that feature; maybe you want to clarify that in the Xtext
forum.<br>
<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">but
in any case, if I specified a feature group as requirement,
shouldn't here be a feature visible under "Installation Details"?
<br>
</blockquote>
Yes, it should. Can you please post your Oomph setup.log and a
screenshot of your Installation Details dialog?<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
/Eike<br>
<br>
----<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.esc-net.de">http://www.esc-net.de</a><br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://thegordian.blogspot.com">http://thegordian.blogspot.com</a><br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://twitter.com/eikestepper">http://twitter.com/eikestepper</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</body>
</html>
  • Attachment: hgijfege.png
    (Size: 18.50KB, Downloaded 223 times)


Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1405989 is a reply to message #1404775] Fri, 08 August 2014 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
[quote title=Eike Stepper wrote on Tue, 05 August 2014 12:27]<html>
When I tried installing Xtend using the Luna update site
(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna">http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna</a>) it installed some
xtend/xtext plugins but it didn't show </blockquote>

Where did you look?<br>

I looked under About Eclipse > Installation Details > Installed Software and Features

<br>
<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">any
feature (even though I provided
org.eclipse.xtend.sdk.feature.group as ID, like you said).
Furthermore, there were no UI contributions (there should be at
least "New...&gt;Xtend Class". However, when I used the TMF update
site
(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/">http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/</a>)
it did install the feature and UI contributions. So it sounds to
me that there is some disparity between what is provided by the
two sites, </blockquote>

That's possible in principle and AFAIK common practice at Eclipse. I
don't know that feature; maybe you want to clarify that in the Xtext
forum.<br>

I have. No response yet.

<blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite">but
in any case, if I specified a feature group as requirement,
shouldn't here be a feature visible under "Installation Details"?
<br>
</blockquote>

Yes, it should. Can you please post your Oomph setup.log and a
screenshot of your Installation Details dialog?<br>

I'm trying to reproduce this, but this time, starting from scratch I even get the Xtend SDK. Is that because I had added to user.setup?

To be sure I tried removing temporarily the ~/.p2 and ~./eclipse folders and starting again from real scratch, but this time Oomph failed during the bootstrap. I'm attaching the beginning of the first exception I got in the Oomph console messages (the full file of messages is 8.7MB which I cannot upload) and the log file.


Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1405999 is a reply to message #1405989] Fri, 08 August 2014 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Your error message indicates that you've added this as a p2 repository:

http://update.eclemma.org/plugins/com.mountainminds.eclemma.asm_2.3.1.201405111647.jar

But that doesn't look like one. Have you tried just http://update.eclemma.org ?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper


Am 08.08.2014 um 19:55 schrieb Ernesto Posse:
> [quote title=Eike Stepper wrote on Tue, 05 August 2014 12:27]<html>
> When I tried installing Xtend using the Luna update site
> (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna">http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna</a>) it installed some
> xtend/xtext plugins but it didn't show </blockquote>
>
> Where did you look?<br>
>
> I looked under About Eclipse > Installation Details > Installed Software and Features
>
> <br>
> <blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$mailto:1@xxxxxxxx" type="cite">any
> feature (even though I provided
> org.eclipse.xtend.sdk.feature.group as ID, like you said).
> Furthermore, there were no UI contributions (there should be at
> least "New...>Xtend Class". However, when I used the TMF update
> site
> (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/">http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/</a>)
> it did install the feature and UI contributions. So it sounds to
> me that there is some disparity between what is provided by the
> two sites, </blockquote>
>
> That's possible in principle and AFAIK common practice at Eclipse. I
> don't know that feature; maybe you want to clarify that in the Xtext
> forum.<br>
>
> I have. No response yet.
>
> <blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$mailto:1@xxxxxxxx" type="cite">but
> in any case, if I specified a feature group as requirement,
> shouldn't here be a feature visible under "Installation Details"?
> <br>
> </blockquote>
>
> Yes, it should. Can you please post your Oomph setup.log and a
> screenshot of your Installation Details dialog?<br>
>
> I'm trying to reproduce this, but this time, starting from scratch I even get the Xtend SDK. Is that because I had added to user.setup?
>
> To be sure I tried removing temporarily the ~/.p2 and ~./eclipse folders and starting again from real scratch, but this time Oomph failed during the bootstrap. I'm attaching the beginning of the first exception I got in the Oomph console messages (the full file of messages is 8.7MB which I cannot upload) and the log file.
>
>
>


Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1406017 is a reply to message #1405999] Fri, 08 August 2014 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
I have no idea how that got in.

I've been trying to do the following:

1) remove ~/.p2 and ~/.eclipse
2) download a fresh version of Oomph
3) Run Oomph
4) Select Eclipse Standard/SDK and accept defaults and licences
5) Select Papyrus>Extras>UML-RT
6) Set the variables

Then it fails.

I did not specify this repository (http://update.eclemma.org/plugins/com.mountainminds.eclemma.asm_2.3.1.201405111647.jar) and I don't know where it is specified or who needs it.

Since I do not specify anything else, and since I deleted my .p2 and .eclipse folders (and therefore my user.setup), I do not understand why it is failing now (it worked perfectly yesterday on my machine and two others).

I've tried several times with the exact same result. The exception always follows this line

[14:44:45] Downloading org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.feature

which suggests to me that the problem is with that, but that's not a scope I control.

Does Oomph store information anyplace other than .p2 and .eclipse that I should be clearing to ensure a clean slate?

Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1406148 is a reply to message #1405989] Sat, 09 August 2014 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The log file you've attached is not very useful because it says:

"This is a continuation of log file
/Users/eposse/Development/PapyrusRT/idesetup/org.eclipse.oomph.setup.installer.product-macosx.cocoa.x86_64/configuration/1407518782922.bak_3.log"

and after that line there's only an annoying but harmless shutdown lifecycle exception.

Is there something of interest in your 1407518782922.bak_3.log ?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper



Am 08.08.2014 um 19:55 schrieb Ernesto Posse:
> [quote title=Eike Stepper wrote on Tue, 05 August 2014 12:27]<html>
> When I tried installing Xtend using the Luna update site
> (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna">http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna</a>) it installed some
> xtend/xtext plugins but it didn't show </blockquote>
>
> Where did you look?<br>
>
> I looked under About Eclipse > Installation Details > Installed Software and Features
>
> <br>
> <blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$mailto:1@xxxxxxxx" type="cite">any
> feature (even though I provided
> org.eclipse.xtend.sdk.feature.group as ID, like you said).
> Furthermore, there were no UI contributions (there should be at
> least "New...>Xtend Class". However, when I used the TMF update
> site
> (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/">http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/</a>)
> it did install the feature and UI contributions. So it sounds to
> me that there is some disparity between what is provided by the
> two sites, </blockquote>
>
> That's possible in principle and AFAIK common practice at Eclipse. I
> don't know that feature; maybe you want to clarify that in the Xtext
> forum.<br>
>
> I have. No response yet.
>
> <blockquote cite="mid:lrqq9q$lio$mailto:1@xxxxxxxx" type="cite">but
> in any case, if I specified a feature group as requirement,
> shouldn't here be a feature visible under "Installation Details"?
> <br>
> </blockquote>
>
> Yes, it should. Can you please post your Oomph setup.log and a
> screenshot of your Installation Details dialog?<br>
>
> I'm trying to reproduce this, but this time, starting from scratch I even get the Xtend SDK. Is that because I had added to user.setup?
>
> To be sure I tried removing temporarily the ~/.p2 and ~./eclipse folders and starting again from real scratch, but this time Oomph failed during the bootstrap. I'm attaching the beginning of the first exception I got in the Oomph console messages (the full file of messages is 8.7MB which I cannot upload) and the log file.
>
>
>


Re: Oomph &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Check for updates [message #1406945 is a reply to message #1406148] Mon, 11 August 2014 13:43 Go to previous message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Messages: 383
Registered: March 2011
Senior Member
Hi.

The log file is 4.9 MB, so it might not be very useful. As far as I could see, all exceptions there looked like this:

!SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.transport.ecf 4 1002 2014-08-08 13:39:34.509
!MESSAGE Unable to read repository at http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna/201406250900/plugins/org.w3c.dom.svg.source_1.1.0.v201011041433.jar.
!STACK 0
java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:152)
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:122)
	at org.apache.http.impl.io.AbstractSessionInputBuffer.fillBuffer(AbstractSessionInputBuffer.java:166)
	at org.apache.http.impl.io.SocketInputBuffer.fillBuffer(SocketInputBuffer.java:90)
	at org.apache.http.impl.io.AbstractSessionInputBuffer.readLine(AbstractSessionInputBuffer.java:281)
	at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultHttpResponseParser.parseHead(DefaultHttpResponseParser.java:92)
	at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultHttpResponseParser.parseHead(DefaultHttpResponseParser.java:61)
	at org.apache.http.impl.io.AbstractMessageParser.parse(AbstractMessageParser.java:254)
	at org.apache.http.impl.AbstractHttpClientConnection.receiveResponseHeader(AbstractHttpClientConnection.java:289)
	at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnection.receiveResponseHeader(DefaultClientConnection.java:252)
	at org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractClientConnAdapter.receiveResponseHeader(AbstractClientConnAdapter.java:219)
	at org.apache.http.protocol.HttpRequestExecutor.doReceiveResponse(HttpRequestExecutor.java:300)
	at org.apache.http.protocol.HttpRequestExecutor.execute(HttpRequestExecutor.java:127)
	at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.tryExecute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:715)
	at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:520)
	at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:906)
	at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:805)
	at org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient4.HttpClientRetrieveFileTransfer.performConnect(HttpClientRetrieveFileTransfer.java:1077)
	at org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient4.HttpClientRetrieveFileTransfer.access$0(HttpClientRetrieveFileTransfer.java:1068)
	at org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient4.HttpClientRetrieveFileTransfer$1.performFileTransfer(HttpClientRetrieveFileTransfer.java:1064)
	at org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer.FileTransferJob.run(FileTransferJob.java:73)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
 


Always a SocketException and "Unable to read repository". But this happens with a lot of very different repositories.

After more experimenting it looks like the problem is with the Papyrus UML-RT component. I've sent an e-mail to the Papyrus dev mailing list to see if they have an idea, but no answer yet.

Nevertheless, I'm still wondering why I get all those socket exceptions. I'm running Eclipse on a Mac. Could that be it?

Thanks.



Previous Topic:Egit dependency error when using github template.
Next Topic:Eclipse unusable after latest Oomph update
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Mar 30 23:59:41 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03540 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top