Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Eclipse 4 RCP applications - Creating a Feature Product including all of its plugin dependencies(Adding all required dependencies to a feature product - what is the best way to do so?)
Eclipse 4 RCP applications - Creating a Feature Product including all of its plugin dependencies [message #1386674] Thu, 19 June 2014 11:26 Go to next message
Rita B is currently offline Rita BFriend
Messages: 1
Registered: June 2014
Junior Member
Hi,

I'm relatively new to RCP (working with it for a few months).
I managed to work with RCP Plug-in based products, and had no problems (or at least solved the issues I had so far Smile ).
Now I'm interested in working only with Feature based products due to all the advantages.

However, there's one disadvantage that I'm not able to solve - adding ALL plug-ins from dependencies to the product so that I could export it without any problems.
I'm adding some features to the product, each feature contains some plug-ins, and the plug-ins "bring" dependencies with them (as could be seen in the "dependencies" tab in the feature.xml).

How can I make these dependencies to be automatically added to the feature?
I saw some comments in different forums where people suggest I create a new feature and manually add all these dependencies to it. But I don't like this solution - it requires me to execute a lot of manual actions, and it's very easy to miss something.
Is there another solution?
Something similar to "add required plug-ins" button (just like with Plug-in based products)?

Thanks!
Re: Eclipse 4 RCP applications - Creating a Feature Product including all of its plugin dependencies [message #1386762 is a reply to message #1386674] Fri, 20 June 2014 08:06 Go to previous message
Christophe Bouhier is currently offline Christophe BouhierFriend
Messages: 937
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 19-06-14 15:14, Rita B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to RCP (working with it for a few months).
> I managed to work with RCP Plug-in based products, and had no problems
> (or at least solved the issues I had so far :) ).
> Now I'm interested in working only with Feature based products due to
> all the advantages.
>
> However, there's one disadvantage that I'm not able to solve - adding
> ALL plug-ins from dependencies to the product so that I could export it
> without any problems.
> I'm adding some features to the product, each feature contains some
> plug-ins, and the plug-ins "bring" dependencies with them (as could be
> seen in the "dependencies" tab in the feature.xml).
>
> How can I make these dependencies to be automatically added to the feature?
I don't think this is possible today, but consider this:

FeatureA
-> Require PluginA
-> Require PluginB, depends on PluginC

Feature?
-> PluginC

How can FeatureA know about Feature? Should it scan all the provisioned
features, and then give you a choice?

> I saw some comments in different forums where people suggest I create a
> new feature and manually add all these dependencies to it. But I don't
> like this solution - it requires me to execute a lot of manual actions,
> and it's very easy to miss something.
> Is there another solution?
For an RCP it's really not a lot you need to add.

This is a list from a very simple e4 RCP product based on features, the
first one would be your own feature, which contains the plugin holding
the .product itself. It also adds a couple of EMF feature in this case,
as it's an EMF editor product, e4 also needs some of the EMF features.

<features>
<feature id="x.y.z.feature" version="1.0.0.qualifier"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.emf.ecore" version="2.9.1.v20130827-0309"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.emf.common" version="2.9.1.v20130827-0309"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.emf.edit" version="2.9.0.v20130902-0605"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui"
version="2.9.0.v20130902-0605"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.emf.common.ui"
version="2.8.0.v20130902-0605"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.rcp" version="4.3.0.v20130605-2000"/>
</features>

Now, I do agree life's not easy in rcp/eclipse land. I would vote for a
wizard which produces a .product + basic RCP app + features and
populates the product for you. And also it would not make the RCP
feature be as bloated as it is now:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=418397

RCP I am afraid in Eclipse is doesn't have the same importance the
Eclipse IDE itself, hence the lack of progress in making RCP thrive on
it's own. It's time for a fork maybe.

> Something similar to "add required plug-ins" button (just like with
> Plug-in based products)?
>
> Thanks!
Previous Topic:LifeCycle and EPartService Injection Problem
Next Topic:Listen to MPart close events
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Aug 01 14:10:33 GMT 2015

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01872 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software