Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Accessing project subfolders/modules as separate folder(How to access a project subfolder/module as a separate folder)
icon5.gif  Accessing project subfolders/modules as separate folder [message #1386568] Wed, 18 June 2014 09:33 Go to next message
Sad Bunny is currently offline Sad BunnyFriend
Hi people,

I'm relatively new to the Eclipse environment and Java devving in general.

I did try the search function of course, but I am unsure what to search for and mainly find a large body of info on how to create layered Java projects, not just how things work in Eclipse.

I got another dev's laptop dumped on me (figuratively, luckily). In his workspace's package explorer, and on his hard drive, there's this project "A_trunk". That project has a pom.xml and a bunch of general configuration files. Also, it has 10 subfolders called "A_trunk/A_abc", "A_trunk/A_xyz" etc. that have actual full blown maven-configured java applications in them. If I check A's pom.xml, it lists "A_abc" etc. as "Modules".

Now, his package explorer also has a folder called "A_abc" as a root folder, so to speak. This seems to be some sort of a symbolic link to "A_trunk/A_abc", since when I save a test file in "/A_abc", it automatically appears in the "A_trunk/A_abc" as well, and there's no "/A_abc" directory on the filesystem containing the workspace in question.

This is pretty useful because /A_trunk is one big SVN project, but separate project folders make it easy in/for eclipse.

The question now is: how do I repeat that process for "A_trunk/A_xyz" and the other separate java applications?

Hope I'm making any sense, I don't know the jargon of what all these things are called, which makes it a b*tch to search for something this specific... :/
Re: Accessing project subfolders/modules as separate folder [message #1386593 is a reply to message #1386568] Wed, 18 June 2014 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Without being able to see your setup, it is hard to say exactly what you should do. I would suggest you go through the Project Configuration Tutorial in the Java Development Users Guide. This is in the provided help documentation. The tutorials show how to configure different project setups. Hopefully you see something there that looks relevant. If nothing else, it should help you get familiar with some of the jargon.
Re: Accessing project subfolders/modules as separate folder [message #1386672 is a reply to message #1386593] Thu, 19 June 2014 11:15 Go to previous message
Sad Bunny is currently offline Sad BunnyFriend
Thanks for your reply! I let it sit for the night and took another look at the project setups this morning. Turns out I am able to reach my goal if I create a New Project, with all default settings except for that the base directory of the new project is just the relevant subdirectory of the main project.

Another good effect of this approach surfaced: when Eclipse sees the subfolders as separate projects, it recognizes that it's java, and I can mavenize it and use completion and all that goodness. When browsing/editing in the main project, Eclipse doesn't recognize the sub-modules/sub-projects as Java applications... Don't know if that is because Eclipse doesn't support that kind of modular project setup or because the programmer whose work I'm to continue didn't know his stuff (though he obviously still outknew me Razz ).

In short: works like a charm now Smile Thanks again and have a good one.
Previous Topic:Eclipse not starting
Next Topic:Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:45:39 GMT 2024