Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Hit-testing for overlapping figures in refreshVisuals() or elsewhere?
Hit-testing for overlapping figures in refreshVisuals() or elsewhere? [message #1384810] Mon, 02 June 2014 09:07 Go to next message
Stephan Druskat is currently offline Stephan DruskatFriend

Disclaimer: Connected to this question on stackoverflow. This question here has a slightly different direction though, aksing for the *right place* to hit test.

In my GEF editor, I calculate the layout (i.e., position) for a given "NodeFigure" in its EditPart's refreshVisuals() method. E.g., a NodeFigure should be placed 100 pixels north of the smallest y coordinate of the NodeFigures to which it is connected via a Connection (layout is done via FreeformLayout on the diagram EditPart's ScalableFreeformLayeredPane through parent.setLayoutConstraint(this, figure, layout).)

-----------------------
| y = 100 (calculated) |
------------------------
  |                 |
-----------      -----------
| y = 230 |      | y = 200 |
-----------      -----------

This works fine. Now if I have a NodeFigure N4 with connections to N1 and N2, and a NodeFigure N5 with connections to N2 and N3, there is a possibility, depending on the width of N4 and N5, that the latter two overlap (the XX region in below sketch).

---------------------- 
 |    N4   |XX|  N5   |
 ----------------------
  |      \   /     |
------  ------   ------
| N1 |  | N2 |   | N3 |
------  ------   ------

I want to try and avoid this behaviour by hit-testing in refreshVisuals() if there is already a Figure at the calculated location. I've tried doing this by calling getFigure().getParent().findFigureAt(x,y), with a number of different x and y values, but findFigureAt() always returns null, and getViewer().findObjectAt() returns the underlying diagram EditPart, even when I can see in the editor that two NodeFigures clearly overlap, and at the coordinates I have tested.

Is this the wrong place to do hit-testing? Or am I just doing it completely wrong?
Re: Hit-testing for overlapping figures in refreshVisuals() or elsewhere? [message #1386044 is a reply to message #1384810] Fri, 13 June 2014 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Nyssen is currently offline Alexander NyssenFriend
Does any of your figures introduce local coordinate systems. If so, you will have to properly transform coordinates (translateToParent, translateToAbsolute, translateFromParent, translateToRelative).
Re: Hit-testing for overlapping figures in refreshVisuals() or elsewhere? [message #1386667 is a reply to message #1386044] Thu, 19 June 2014 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Alexander, thanks for your answer, and excuse the late reply.

None of my figures - I think - introduces local coordinate systems. The EditParts/Figures that this concerns are all direct children of the parent EditPart (lets call it "GraphEditPart"). Their x and y values are calculated inrelation to the bounds of sibling children they're connected to, and their constraints are set via the parent (parent.setLayoutConstraint(childEditPart, childFigure, layoutRectangle)... Pretty standard fare I think?

My problem seems to be that at the point I'm trying to hit-test within the bounds of a figure (say "NodeFigure") for already existing figures, the bounds of "NodeFigure" aren't available yet!

figure.getBounds() in the following - incomplete - refreshVisuals() snippet always returns Rectangle(0,0,0,0).
parent.setLayoutConstraint(this, figure, layout);
parent.refresh();
System.out.println(figure.getBounds());

Likewise, findFigureAt() on the parent always returns null in the following snippet.
Rectangle r = figure.getBounds();
System.out.println(parent.findFigureAt(r.getCenter()));
r = parent.getFigure().getLayoutManager().getConstraint(figure);
System.out.println(parent.findFigureAt(r.getCenter()));

And this even though I know that figure overlaps other figures (e.g., at getCenter()).

So in short, I guess I'm looking for a place to call findFigureAt() on the parent when its figure *does already "have"* the coordinates for all its children.

I'd be more than thankful for any hints!
Thanks!
Re: Hit-testing for overlapping figures in refreshVisuals() or elsewhere? [message #1397820 is a reply to message #1386667] Thu, 10 July 2014 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear forum and list, can anyone shed some light on this? I still haven't found a way to make this work.
Re: Hit-testing for overlapping figures in refreshVisuals() or elsewhere? [message #1403300 is a reply to message #1397820] Tue, 22 July 2014 18:28 Go to previous message
Alexander Nyssen is currently offline Alexander NyssenFriend
I think refreshVisuals() probably is the right place to go. As it will probably be called several times, I suppose to simply guard your calculation so it is not performed until the bounds are actually assigned. Alternatively, you can also register a listener to figure to keep track of when bounds are actually assigned.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 18:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Export a GEF diagram as a PNG
Next Topic:[ZEST] Program Speed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:25:33 GMT 2024