Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse 4.3.2 Modeling Version eventually will not start on Mac in Mavericks(Eclipse 4.3.2 Modeling w/ lots stuff will not start eventuall on Mac w/ Mavericks 10.9.2)
icon13.gif  Eclipse 4.3.2 Modeling Version eventually will not start on Mac in Mavericks [message #1368197] Tue, 20 May 2014 03:32 Go to next message
Michael Murdock is currently offline Michael MurdockFriend
Second attempt using Eclipse Kepler 4.3.2 Modeling version to start with running on an iMac with Mavericks 10.9.2. I have attached a jpeg of modal dialog describing the error. It points to log file you can't even see with the GUI. So with the terminal looking in the same place, I found (though I having trouble deciphering it). It's attached also.

This may be in the wrong place, though you don't have topic group(s) for just the IDE version themselves. I started with the Modeling version because I really want to model in UML & SysML. My output however, I wish to be used for all languages I might design in.

I currently know C/C++, Java, Perl, a little Python, Fortran, some Assembly languages, SQL, & others...
I have studied D Language, (some) Scala, ...
I am wanting to learn Ruby, JavaScript, & bunch of others

So as I add these packages my system grows as the heap grows as well. I've included the Eclipse.ini file I edited as well (line 42: -Xmx1024m instead of -Xmx512m).

My goal here (originally) was to have everything in one Eclipse. I have since
learned this does not work for some reason I do not fathom. I gave that up back on
Indigo I think. So with Kepler, I am just trying to create a version that will
always work with C/C++. So this is why I posting it here instead of modeling.

I have gotton it install almost everything I want. I forget the last thing I installed. Something a few installs ago was Scala-IDE Helium E38 from their site.
When it restarted it brought up a dialog (I didn't capture) that warned to set
the Heap to a minimum of 1039m (recommended) and that I currently had 910m.
One I was sure whether that was what I was editing in the ini file. I read your
help file, I way behind needing a lot more background info.

So clue to me in to where to gather the info I need.

1) Why is that some of these version "collide" with others? For instance RAP does
not play well with others (what is that?).
2) Why can I not use the GUI to up my heap-size (plus other parameters)?
3) (Important!) One my Eclipse IDE has "crashed" or refuses to start, how do I use the tools such as this log, to decipher what actually happened?
4) Where do I go / What books/ documentation do I look for to figure out #3 above.

I do not have to be led around. I can code and I can also diagnose problems. In this case, I can at the moment stare in wonder at this wonderful and immensely complicated product. Eventually, I would like to be adept enough to create plugins.
Though I am aware, I need to learn to crawl, before I can walk or run.
So my biggest hurdle is how to diagnose a system that either crashes before loading the workspace (what happened earlier with a Win7 Prof x64 system using the same IDE & version or after loading the workspace and creating an exception at that point.

Any one who can address this dilemma, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

ps: Ideally, I want the "features" w/i the versions:
Eclipse for C/C++ Developers
Eclipse Modeling Tools
Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers
Eclipse for Java Developers
Eclipse for Java & DSL Developers
Eclipse for J2EE Developers
Eclipse for RCP & RAP Develpers
Eclipse for Java & Report Developers
Eclipse for Testers
Eclipse for Scout Developers
Eclipse for Automotive & Embedded Developers (including VHDL / FPGAs)

A solution can not be found to a problem
with the same mind that created it.
- Albert Einstein
Re: Eclipse 4.3.2 Modeling Version eventually will not start on Mac in Mavericks [message #1384791 is a reply to message #1368197] Mon, 02 June 2014 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How odd no one responds....

This time I started with a RCP+RAP version in Luna (4.4M7) even though now is RC2 in preparation for 4.4.0 release.
I've gotten this version to have just about everything including CDT, Modeling, DSL, Mobile, SOA, Scout, & a bunch more.
What I'm still not sure of is what are my limitations. The size of the directory has ballooned to just over 2GB.
My .ini file inside the application has an JVM upper limit of 2040MB instead of 2048MB (2GB).
I do know this eventually will crash if I keep installing stuff.

Also I would like to know how to remove some items. Apparently attempting to update my Subversion/Subclipse I may have
some things crossed. When I attempted to remove item by item it didn't work. Does anybody know how to do this?

Please respond...

- Albert Einstein
Re: Eclipse 4.3.2 Modeling Version eventually will not start on Mac in Mavericks [message #1384792 is a reply to message #1384791] Mon, 02 June 2014 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh another thing, I am in need of using SysML implementation. I have found that Papyrus does this or can extend there.
However, unless I am brave enough to try nightlies, I have to install this using Kepler (4.3.x) is that right???

Thanks in advance.

- Albert Einstein
Re: Eclipse 4.3.2 Modeling Version eventually will not start on Mac in Mavericks [message #1385213 is a reply to message #1384792] Thu, 05 June 2014 02:35 Go to previous message
I was not aware of this, which I learned while perusing the installed software - SysML is already installed as part of Papyrus.
In fact Papyrus 1.0.0 is coming out with the full release of Luna 06/25/2012.

Now why is it that I keep answering all my own questions. No one else posts. Is it because, I don't sound as helpless so no one takes
pity on me???

Oh BTW, a neat trick of holding down the Option Modifier key using Mac OS X 10.9.2 & Eclipse Luna (4.4M7) using the right Arrow key
during the view of some selected installed software expands that selected value out to the leaves (all the way out). I had been trying
to do that manually one by one when I thought their had to be a better way.

Next couple of ideas when you select a window & type Ctrl-A (Select All) you get some Hover Text saying how many lines you have selected.
Second idea you need an Eclipse wide Control Sequence to do a System-wide abort of whatever you just started (task). The only process I
have discovered at the moment is to a Force-Exit of Eclipse (Cmd-Opt-Esc). This is not graceful. When I tried that Opt-Expand after a
Ctrl-A (Select All) after a half-hour was still processing & I didn't know how long it would take. You always need a way out of whatever
trouble you got yourself into... Wink

- Albert Einstein
Previous Topic:Redirect stderr into custom TestsRunnerPlugin
Next Topic:Error opening terminal: unknown.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:29:39 GMT 2024