Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How do you disable Java Update on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2?(The Java Control Panel doesn't work)
How do you disable Java Update on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2? [message #1364812] Sun, 18 May 2014 17:33 Go to next message
Jeff Falkenham is currently offline Jeff FalkenhamFriend
There is a documented bug where the "automatically check for updates" checkbox won't actually update in the Java Control Panel on a mac: http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8029309

These 2 links were also in my internet history:

http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8028761

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8040758?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

---------

So. I look for a workaround. I find this:

http://macops.ca/everything-youll-wish-you-didnt-know-about-disabling-java-7-updates/

But he basically says that it's not a good solution, and will break future updates/installs unless you do a bunch of complicated stuff every time. Erm.... Okay. I don't want to do complicated stuff to maintain my Java library. I'd likely just forget or break something =\.

So... What's the best solution? The bug report ticket even says "A manual work around is possible, but not necessary", but doesn't even tell you how!

The only thing I can come up with is that I will be forced to open the Java control panel once a week and manually check for updates, just to be sure that the auto-updater won't randomly kick me out of a fullscreen game/app if I forget about it.... But will that even work? Will opening the control panel once a week prevent the auto-updater from bothering me?

And besides that... Is there actually a legit workaround?

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do you disable Java Update on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2? [message #1367867 is a reply to message #1364812] Tue, 20 May 2014 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Almost 4000 views and no reply?

Are those guests or bots? rofl
Re: How do you disable Java Update on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2? [message #1368108 is a reply to message #1367867] Tue, 20 May 2014 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On 05/19/2014 07:12 PM, Jeff Falkenham wrote:
> Almost 4000 views and no reply?
>
> Are those guests or bots? rofl
You are asking about a Java bug. The Eclipse forums are not part of
Oracle or Java. You should post your queries to the bugs you mentioned.
Re: How do you disable Java Update on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2? [message #1369719 is a reply to message #1368108] Tue, 20 May 2014 18:13 Go to previous message
David Wegener wrote on Mon, 19 May 2014 22:37
On 05/19/2014 07:12 PM, Jeff Falkenham wrote:
> Almost 4000 views and no reply?
>
> Are those guests or bots? rofl
You are asking about a Java bug. The Eclipse forums are not part of
Oracle or Java. You should post your queries to the bugs you mentioned.

Oracle has clearly known about this bug for a long time, doesn't care, and has it marked as super low priority.

I am asking about a Java bug on a forum filled with Java developers, some of which may be using OS X Mavericks 10.9.x, and some of which may have found a good workaround that doesn't require breaking my Java install.

If the people in charge of actually fixing the bug think it's not worth fixing, would they really even know about the specific available workarounds and give them to me if I asked? I doubt it. I'll have more luck here than I will by directly contacting oracle.

That being said... is there a way to register on the openjdk website and reply directly to the bug ticket? The person currently assigned to the bug can't even follow the simple instructions to reproduce it, and isn't using an updated operating system (the ticket says it's for the latest version of OS X - everyone else testing the bug has OS X 10.9 - the person currently assigned the bug tried to reproduce it with 10.8, and failed)
Previous Topic:JDT Debug Tools Help
Next Topic:if i want to cancel all java.awt......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 02:00:40 GMT 2024