Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Incremental Build question(Incremental Build is doing a Full Build)
Incremental Build question [message #1352482] Tue, 13 May 2014 13:38 Go to next message
Eric Smith is currently offline Eric SmithFriend
I am using Eclipse Version: 3.2.0 Build id: M20060629-1905. Every time I build my workspace, it does a full build. I can add one blank line to a single .java program the press the Project>Build Project, and eclipse starts by Cleaning the output folder, then it compiles all the files in the project. The files that are being compiled are not affected by changes to the one file that I have modified.

I have also done a test where I make a one line change to a .java file. I save the file (Project>Build Automatically is not checked), do an Ant deploy-local to compile the change. Start Tomcat and then start the Application. Then I start my debugger and it Cleans the output folder, then compiles all the files in the project. In other words, it's doing the same thing as if I did a Project>Build Project, which is what I would expect.

It's taking me close to 6 minutes every time I do an Incremental Build. An incremental build should only take a very small fraction of that time.

Does anyone have an ideas why my Incremental Build is doing a full build every time? I am using Project>Properties>Builders>Java Builder.

Thanks,
Eric
Re: Incremental Build question [message #1352501 is a reply to message #1352482] Tue, 13 May 2014 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
I am using Eclipse Version: 3.2.0 Build id: M20060629-1905.

That version is eight years old! Shocked
Please upgrade to a recent version.
Re: Incremental Build question [message #1352538 is a reply to message #1352501] Tue, 13 May 2014 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Tue, 13 May 2014 09:48
Quote:
I am using Eclipse Version: 3.2.0 Build id: M20060629-1905.

That version is eight years old! Shocked
Please upgrade to a recent version.

LOL, I figured that would be the first response. I just downloaded the new version but figured it might be quicker to use what I have if I'm overlooking an easy configuration change.

Do you know if I can load the new version on my computer and keep the old one on also? I'd like to keep the old version on so I can see how I have everything configured.

Thanks,
Eric

[Updated on: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Incremental Build question [message #1354948 is a reply to message #1352538] Wed, 14 May 2014 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi,

As long as you unzip into a separate folder from the other one then you
can have as many Eclipses as you want. Don't use an installer program
because they usually try to have only one Eclipse on a system at a time.
It needs to be unzipped into place, not installed.

But once you point a newer version Eclipse to a workspace the workspace
may be upgraded and may no longer work with the older Eclipse.

Rich Kulp
Re: Incremental Build question [message #1355008 is a reply to message #1354948] Wed, 14 May 2014 14:28 Go to previous message
I loaded the new Eclipse version and the new Java 1.7.0_55 version. The incremental build appears to be working correctly with my new Eclipse version.

Thanks!
Eric
Previous Topic:eclipse to websphere version mapping
Next Topic:Eclipse Classic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:36:29 GMT 2024