Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext(Using an Xcore meta model in conjunction with multiple Xtext projects.)
Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1350708] Mon, 12 May 2014 19:54 Go to next message
Andrew Clark is currently offline Andrew ClarkFriend
I currently have 2 xtext projects 'foo' and 'bar', where bar model instances reference foo model instances.

I would now like to define *some* of the meta model externally. There is a reason I don't wish to define the entire meta model in xcore, but I won't go into it here.

So I am trying to use xcore defined meta models working together together with 2 xtext meta models. And I cannot get it to work!

ie.

Foo : xtext : defines a grammar and has an inferred model
FooCore : xcore : defines classes that reference Foo objects.
Bar : xtext : defines a grammar and has an inferred model , but uses FooCore defined classes.
(examples of the meta models are at the end of this post)

I get "Cannot find compatible feature fooDef in sealed EClass FooClass from imported package FooCore: The existing reference 'fooDef' has an incompatible type 'FooDef'. The expected type is 'FooDef'."

Is this possible or have I fundamentally misunderstood how this works?

Any help gratefully accepted, I tried to attach the Eclipse example projects but the attachments don't appear (no error). I can provide them if it helps.

I am working with the latest version of Kepler with Xtext 2.5 and Xcore 1.1

E.g. of the meta models.

Foo

"grammar org.xtext.example.foo.Foo with org.eclipse.xtext.common.Terminals

generate foo "http://www.xtext.org/example/foo/Foo"

Model:
foos+=FooDef*;

FooDef:
'Hello' name=ID '!';

"

FooCore

"
package FooCore

import org.xtext.example.foo.foo.FooDef

enum FooEnum {
one two three
}

class FooClass {
String name
contains FooDef fooDef
}
"

Bar

"
grammar org.xtext.example.bar.Bar with org.eclipse.xtext.common.Terminals

import "FooCore"

import "http://www.xtext.org/example/foo/Foo" as Foo

generate bar "http://www.xtext.org/example/bar/Bar"

BarModel:
barClasses+=BarClass*
;

BarClass returns FooClass :
'name' name=STRING
'foo' fooDef=[Foo::FooDef]
;
"

[Updated on: Mon, 12 May 2014 20:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1350778 is a reply to message #1350708] Mon, 12 May 2014 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more information.

The error appears in the editor but there is no marker in the package explorer and no error in the Problems view!

If I run the workflow the error there is

3336 [main] ERROR ipse.xtext.generator.LanguageConfig  - [TransformationDiagnostic: null:16 Cannot find compatible feature fooDef in sealed EClass FooClass from imported package FooCore: The existing feature 'fooDef' has an incompatible type 'EJavaObject' [java.lang.Object]. The expected type is 'FooDef' [org.xtext.example.foo.foo.FooDef]. (ErrorCode: CannotCreateTypeInSealedMetamodel)]

I guess the clue is in CannotCreateTypeInSealedMetamodel, which seems to be referenced in some bug reports, this one look particularly interesting https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=370525 , is it the same problem?
Re: Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1351873 is a reply to message #1350778] Tue, 13 May 2014 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I am in danger of having a conversation with myself here, but one more bit of information.

If I generate ecore and genmodel files from the xcore metamodel and register them in the workflow standalonesetup as normal

registerGeneratedEPackage = "org.xtext.example.foo.foo.FooPackage"
    	registerGenModelFile = "platform:/resource/org.xtext.example.foocore/model/FooCore.genmodel"

and remove (comment out) the xcore load resource

language = auto-inject {
//    		loadedResource = "platform:/resource/org.xtext.example.foocore/model/FooCore.xcore"
    		uri = grammarURI

everything seems to work fine.
Re: Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1352202 is a reply to message #1351873] Tue, 13 May 2014 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Yes you have to use loadresource for xcore

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1354413 is a reply to message #1352202] Wed, 14 May 2014 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course I tried to use loadedResource first, I am sorry that wasn't clear from the original post. However when I use loadedResource I get the CannotCreateTypeInSealedMetamodel error.

On the other hand when I generate an ecore and load in the standalone setup, its works.

i.e. it seems to be that the loadedResource mechanism is causing the problem.
Re: Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1354460 is a reply to message #1354413] Wed, 14 May 2014 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

i fear without a complete reproducable sample it is hard to help

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Xtext -> Xcore -> Xtext [message #1540514 is a reply to message #1354460] Thu, 01 January 2015 14:54 Go to previous message
Aykut  Kilic is currently offline Aykut KilicFriend
I get a similar error and created added a bug report with a sample project.

In my case it fails depending on the order I load the resources (xcore files)

Bug ID: 456482
Previous Topic:How to convert from my language to XML template
Next Topic:dealing with type computation of array access
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:39:46 GMT 2024