Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How do I stop Content Assist errors
How do I stop Content Assist errors [message #1322120] Tue, 29 April 2014 17:50 Go to next message
Todd Hill is currently offline Todd HillFriend
I can not stop the the following content assist errors when pressing "." in the Java editor despite the suggestions on what to do in the alert:
The 'API Tools Javadoc Proposals' proposal computer from the 'org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.ui' plug-in did not complete normally. The extension has thrown a runtime exception.

To avoid this message, disable the 'org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.ui' plug-in or disable the 'API Tools Proposals' category on the content assist preference page.

STS buildId: 3.5.0.201404011654-RELEASE-e43 (based on Eclipse 4.3.2)

I have unchecked the API Tools Proposals on the preferences Java -> Editor ->Content Assist -> Advanced (which is where the link in the alert takes me). That does not stop the alert error from popping up.

I don't know to disable the plug-in. Any hints on how to do that?

This error renders the editor pretty much unusable, since one of the best things about Eclipse is the content assist.

Thanks for any assistance.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2014 17:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I stop Content Assist errors [message #1322194 is a reply to message #1322120] Tue, 29 April 2014 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I suggest you file a bug against PDE: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=PDE and select "API Tools" as the component.

The error should hopefully be logged (see the Errors view or file <workspace>/.metadata/.log), please attach any related stacktrace you find there.

Maybe with that information the PDE guys can also provide a workaround for now.

best,
Stephan
Re: How do I stop Content Assist errors [message #1332395 is a reply to message #1322120] Sun, 04 May 2014 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tavnash Meghas is currently offline Tavnash MeghasFriend
This Eclipse3.6 Help page on Content assist can help (it is for C++, but the same idea applies for Java on the Java > Editor > Content Assist preference page .):

The idea is to disable what triggers the content assist.
Re: How do I stop Content Assist errors [message #1336634 is a reply to message #1332395] Tue, 06 May 2014 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Hill is currently offline Todd HillFriend
Update: A bug report was filed for this issue at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=433918.

I'm not sure exactly what I need to do to stop the errors. After reading the latest comment in the bug report, it looks like I need to uninstall the groovy plugin. Is that the same as the groovy extension (in STS?). Then what do I do about Grails?

Or how exactly do it uninstall the PDE plug in, since I won't be doing any plug-in development?

I fear (an experience is) that if I start removing things, nothing will work, so I'm cautious until I have a concrete plan.
Re: How do I stop Content Assist errors [message #1838267 is a reply to message #1322120] Fri, 19 February 2021 20:43 Go to previous message
Teresa Hidalgo-Fitzgerald is currently offline Teresa Hidalgo-FitzgeraldFriend
I just ran into the Content Assist errors today. I solved it as follow (I have a mac, instructions for other operating systems might differ)

Open Eclipse
About Eclipse
Installation Details *Find org.eclipse.pde.api.tool.ui *click update. Updating the plugin solved my issues.
I am not sure if this solution works for everyone, but it worked for me.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Export JavaFX Project to Runnable Jar File - Nothing is Showing up?
Next Topic:my debug/run function does not work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:26:34 GMT 2024