Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Integrating specific code/checks not directly related to UI
Integrating specific code/checks not directly related to UI [message #1299901] Thu, 17 April 2014 07:26 Go to next message
Stefan Miller is currently offline Stefan MillerFriend
Hi,

so far I mainly played around with Jubula to directly test the UI. But can Jubula also be used if you want to perform UI actions and check non-UI things?

To give an example: I have an application through which I can export data selected in a tree in the UI. The consequence of exporting is that a new directory is created in the filesystem and some data is written into this new directory. Currently I do not see a possibility to test this with Jubula. I would not only be interested in this rather special use case but I also would like to know whether it is possible to ingrate such specific checks in Jubula too.

Would this be possible and can somebody briefly outline what would be necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Integrating specific code/checks not directly related to UI [message #1300029 is a reply to message #1299901] Thu, 17 April 2014 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achim Loerke is currently offline Achim LoerkeFriend

There is the "Execute External Command" action which can be used to call scripts or executables to check on those conditions and return an exit code which can be checked in Jubula.
If you need more control you may write a user defined function or actually write an action (extending Application). Check the "Extension Manual" for details.

- Achim
Re: Integrating specific code/checks not directly related to UI [message #1300068 is a reply to message #1300029] Thu, 17 April 2014 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Miller is currently offline Stefan MillerFriend
Thanks for the answer. I know that you can execute external commands in Jubula, but this can only be used in specific use cases. In my case I do not only want to check whether certain files/directories were created, in these cases an exit code is sufficient, but for other use cases I need the name of the created file. This name is not known in advance. Hence I would need to return e.g. the name of such a file.

Would I need to write my own extension for such a use case? Other frameworks provide support for including scripts directly into the test specification. This offers more flexibility in case you need very specific checks. Is something like this planned for Jubula too?
Re: Integrating specific code/checks not directly related to UI [message #1300183 is a reply to message #1300068] Thu, 17 April 2014 11:41 Go to previous message
Achim Loerke is currently offline Achim LoerkeFriend

For the time being you would have to write an extension. A function (for parameter fields, called using ?whateverfunctionename(...)) would probably be the easiest way.

We are thinking now and then about adding script support, but there has always been something we considered more important. If you can specify a detailed proposal on how to do this in a generally useful way (which is easy to use for non-programmers, too) we would be a lot more motivated to look into this Smile

And there is always the possibility to contribute or sponsor.

- Achim

Previous Topic:Jubula 8 does not start on Ubuntu 13
Next Topic:Use the Default Parameter in Datasets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 01:00:37 GMT 2024