Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Hudson 3.1.2: Error in cascading job workflow control?(Freestyle-maven3-jobs are stated mulitple times with Maven 3 integration)
Hudson 3.1.2: Error in cascading job workflow control? [message #1299844] Thu, 17 April 2014 06:39 Go to next message
Denis Schettl is currently offline Denis SchettlFriend
Environment:
Hudson 3.1.2
Job-Type: Freestyle with "Maven 3" buildsteps (no extra parent- or downstream-jobstart definitions), only "Build when Maven dependencies have been updated by Maven 3 integration" and "Notify that Maven dependencies have been updated by Maven 3 integration" is checked.

Problem:
We have some kind of shared components for our products. The shared components are structured themselv in components with somethink like this:

config-management definitions (A) -> component set of definitions for maven plugin versions (B) -> shared product definitons (C) -> components (D) -> blueprints (E)
=> A -> B -> C -> D -> E

Our products have now dependencies to different levels of the components like this:
ProdX need B and some parts of D and E

Now when B is changed and runs in Hudson then somethink like this is happends:

B -> ProdX
-> C -> D -> ProdX
-> E -> ProdX

So ProdX is multitime builded after a change of B. In the job-definition of ProdX I have definied not to build if an parent job or an cascading job is running. Maybe the job names have somethink to do with the selection of the next running job by the Maven 3 integration selection? All component-jobs starts whith an "R" while the ProdX-Job starts with an "K" ...

The maven-versions are all snapshot-versions ...

The dev-teams means that this is happens since we use hudson 3.1.2, but I'm not sure because I changed the job-definitons from maven2-jobs to FreeStyle-jobs with maven3-buildsteps ...

Thanks for help ...
Denis
Re: Hudson 3.1.2: Error in cascading job workflow control? [message #1308154 is a reply to message #1299844] Tue, 22 April 2014 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Winston Prakash is currently offline Winston PrakashFriend
Based on what you explained above, theoretically building ProdX multiple times seems correct to me.

You wrote "ProdX need B and some parts of D and E" (So, I'm assuming ProdX must be declaring B, D, E as dependencies)

Also you wrote you have the setting "Build when Maven dependencies have been updated by Maven 3 integration"

Because of the above criteria, since B, D, E are declared as dependencies in prodX, it will build whenever B, D, E are built.

Is that not correct?

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Hudson 3.1.2: Error in cascading job workflow control? [message #1327604 is a reply to message #1308154] Fri, 02 May 2014 08:38 Go to previous message
Denis Schettl is currently offline Denis SchettlFriend
Hi Winstone,
sorry for the long delay, but I was on vacation.

Now back to your answere ... Yes you are right, but only if you have only activated the "Build block, as long as downstream project is built". The downstream build control seems to work, but I have for all jobs also the "Build block, as long as upstream project is built" activaed and this option seems to be ignored.

I can see that after B was build, C and D was in the build queue (with all the other projects that have dependencies to B + C + D). They starts to Build and after some time my job C was building ... And again all the other jobs are now again in the build queue ... If I go with my mousepointer over the jobs in the queue, i can see "Downstream job xxx is already building", but never "Upstream job xxx is already building" ...

With both options activated (do not build while upstream or downstream jobs are running) there is only on correct build possible
B -> C -> D -> E -> ProdX

Or do I have misunderstand the kind of working of the two options?
Previous Topic:"Perform Maven Release" link not visible for team admin in Hudson
Next Topic:Downstream build view 1.9-h-1: Missing pictures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:09:05 GMT 2024