Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » My development environment has rotten
My development environment has rotten [message #1297007] Tue, 15 April 2014 11:03 Go to next message
Nikolay Metchev is currently offline Nikolay MetchevFriend
Hello,
As some of you may be aware bits rot. This has just happened to me. A while back I contributed several patches to the JDT UI project. I took a break and now wanted to go back. I am finding that I can't run the junit tests any more. Something in my Eclipse is messed up. I get the error below.
I was hoping to just create a JDT UI development environment from scratch but I can't for the life of me find a good page that tells me all the steps I need to get a clean development environment set up. Any help would be appreciated.

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError
at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:55)
at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)
at junit.framework.Assert.assertNotNull(Assert.java:256)
at junit.framework.Assert.assertNotNull(Assert.java:248)
at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.NonUIThreadTestApplication.getApplication(NonUIThreadTestApplication.java:103)
at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.NonUIThreadTestApplication.start(NonUIThreadTestApplication.java:36)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:354)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:181)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1426)
Re: My development environment has rotten [message #1297021 is a reply to message #1297007] Tue, 15 April 2014 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Hi Nikolay,

this is a pity.

If the error message is from an attempt to launch tests via "Run as ... > JUnit Plugin test", then the first check should be on the Plug-ins tab of the launch configuration to click "Validate Plug-ins". What does it tell you?

Also, have you seen this: http://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_UI/How_to_Contribute ?

best,
Stephan
Re: My development environment has rotten [message #1297038 is a reply to message #1297007] Tue, 15 April 2014 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noopur Gupta is currently offline Noopur GuptaFriend
Thanks Stephan for mentioning the "JDT UI/How to Contribute" page.

Nikolay, the "Getting the code into your workspace" and "Configuring the workspace" sections in the above page mention the JDT UI plug-ins to be imported, dependencies and also the code style used in JDT UI.

Please use this page as an anchor and let us know if something is missing in there or if you face any issue in setting up the JDT UI code as you go on, so that we can improve that page.
Re: My development environment has rotten [message #1297216 is a reply to message #1297038] Tue, 15 April 2014 14:03 Go to previous message
Nikolay Metchev is currently offline Nikolay MetchevFriend
Thanks guys,
I think my original workspace is beyond repair. I did try and follow the instructions on http://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_UI/How_to_Contribute to create a new workspace and a fresh download of Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers Kepler Service Release 2.
It looks as though Java 8 is now part of the master branch and therefore I needed to install the java 8 patch outlined here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT/Eclipse_Java_8_Support_For_Kepler
Perhaps the 1st link should be updated with Java 8 instructions.
Previous Topic:Java Compiler Compliance Level not working
Next Topic:Build path vs. compile libraries vs. deployment libraries please help clarify
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:48:11 GMT 2024