Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT Viewer Toolkit UI Customization
BIRT Viewer Toolkit UI Customization [message #1269431] Tue, 11 March 2014 21:44 Go to next message
John J Feigal is currently offline John J FeigalFriend
We have been using the standard BIRT Viewer installed under Tomcat for many years to launch BIRT reports from a web application.

We are considering replacing the standard BIRT Viewer with the BIRT Viewer Toolkit because it would provide enhanced functionality including a date picker UI.

Currently, we tweak jsp and js code distributed with the standard BIRT Viewer to change the default print format from HTML to PDF. We would like to make the corresponding changes in the BIRT Viewer Toolkit code, but I'm having difficulty finding the corresponding source code modules.

For example, in the past we have modified PrintReportDialogFragment.jsp in the webcontent/birt/pages/dialog folder. I have found IVServerPrintReportDialogFragment.jsp in the iv/pages/dialog folder, but I don't see any references to printAsPDF or printAsHTML. With the standard BIRT Viewer we also modified BirtPrintReportDialog.js in the webcontent/birt/ajax/ui/dialog folder, but I don't see any corresponding js file in the iv/dialog folder - only files named featurennnnn.js.

It appears by default the Interactive Viewer capability is turned off when the BIRT Viewer Toolkit is installed, and therefore the IVServerPrintReportDialogFragment.jsp would not be accessible.

Can we tweak code as desired in the BIRT Viewer Toolkit, and if so, can someone point me to the correct files in the correct folders for the BIRT Viewer Toolkit app installed under Tomcat?

Also, we would like to do some customization of the report name in the toolbar of the BIRT Viewer Toolkit and I haven't found that code yet either.

Re: BIRT Viewer Toolkit UI Customization [message #1270171 is a reply to message #1269431] Wed, 12 March 2014 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I noticed something during my testing this morning. While my URL invoking the BIRT Toolkit Viewer specified "frameset", when the test.rptdesign report was executed, the URL in the address bar included "iv" and not "frameset". So my initial post was incorrect and I guess I really am using the Interactive Viewer, but we don't have the license to "Enable Interactivity" from the toolbar menu.

Is there a "Viewer Command Options" reference, for the BIRT Toolkit Viewer similar to the information found at http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerUsage.php#command_options?
Re: BIRT Viewer Toolkit UI Customization [message #1270722 is a reply to message #1270171] Thu, 13 March 2014 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
I believe it is working with a javascript API, not with URL parameters such the Eclipse viewer does.

In the installed folder, there is a "help" directory describing this javascript API, check the "viewer" namespace section.
Re: BIRT Viewer Toolkit UI Customization [message #1282087 is a reply to message #1270722] Tue, 01 April 2014 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

The BIRT Viewer Toolkit is closed source. It contains the commercial BIRT Viewer by Actuate along with the JavaScript API for easy embedding. What all customizations are you trying to do? Just edit the menu items?

Also, all open source style URLs will work with the BIRT Viewer Toolkit, they will be converted internally to the URL that the commercial viewer uses.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: BIRT Viewer Toolkit UI Customization [message #1282095 is a reply to message #1282087] Tue, 01 April 2014 21:28 Go to previous message
Michael

Per my original post, in the Toolkit viewer we wanted to default the print format to PDF. In the standard BIRT viewer, modifications to code in a JSP file and a JavaScript file were needed to make this change.

Also, we wanted to remove the report file name (e.g., testReport.rptdesign) from the toolbar in the Toolkit viewer.

Thanks for clarifying the handling of the URLs.
Previous Topic:BIRT report output different from SQL Query
Next Topic:Group By in RTC JAZZ Queries for BIRT reports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:22:46 GMT 2024