Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse not recognizing Java
Eclipse not recognizing Java [message #1268047] Mon, 10 March 2014 01:29 Go to next message
Christopher Lupo is currently offline Christopher LupoFriend
I cannot perform any java related functions in Eclipse, please help me fix this. I cannot>
- start a new java project
- open java source files
- view the java perspective
- edit java preferences
- etc.

It seems Eclipse is not recognizing java on my computer, The C/C++ language is Eclipses default language at the moment

Quick solutions I tried>
- searched google didn't find anything useful
- redownload eclipse
- redownload java
- started a new workspace (in Google drive and on the computers desktop)

Info that may or may not be relevant>
- I downloaded from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/kepler/SR2/eclipse-java-kepler-SR2-win32-x86_64.zip
- I'm on a windows 7 machine
- My hard drive failed a few weeks ago, and received a replacement
- My workspace is in Google Drive

Thanks for your help
Re: Eclipse not recognizing Java [message #1268769 is a reply to message #1268047] Tue, 11 March 2014 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
One thing doesn't match: If you installed "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers", how come you have a perspective called "C/C++"? It's not part of that package. Do you still have the download? Want to double check it's not eclipse-cpp-kepler-SR2-win32-x86_64.zip ?

Otherwise:
First stop to check what's going on would be via Help > About Eclipse SDK and try to find anything Java inside those dialogs.

Other place to check Error Log view.

BTW: since Eclipse is running, it must have found the JRE Smile

best,
Stephan
Re: Eclipse not recognizing Java [message #1268794 is a reply to message #1268769] Tue, 11 March 2014 01:42 Go to previous message
Christopher Lupo is currently offline Christopher LupoFriend
Well that's just depressing. At one point I did incorrectly download the C++ version (the screen shot), but when I opened the java version the c++ perspective was showing. Which resulted in a chain of events and my tangled frustrated brain thinking something was wrong with the system (although it's almost never the system). Lost all this time for something ridiculous, boo.

Thanks Stephan
Previous Topic:Securing Eclipse help plug-in
Next Topic:Inconsistent Eclipse user experience
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:02:44 GMT 2024