Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Executeable file Linux
Executeable file Linux [message #1267786] Sun, 09 March 2014 15:16 Go to next message
Marco Schul is currently offline Marco SchulFriend
Hey

iam new to Eclipse Juno and linux so i ve got a question.

Under Linux System arent *.exe files existing so what kind of file do i receive if i compile my programm under linux ?

is it a binäry file? or is it a machine code?

Thanks very much
Re: Executeable file Linux [message #1278050 is a reply to message #1267786] Wed, 26 March 2014 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
The extension .exe is only a naming convention on windows. On Linux there is no extension necessary. The system automatically detects if a file is an executable. And, of course, you will get a executable when you compile and link your program.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Executeable file Linux [message #1293301 is a reply to message #1267786] Sat, 12 April 2014 13:59 Go to previous message
Timothy Golden is currently offline Timothy GoldenFriend
The actual executable binaries are inside your workspace and take the project name.
So for instance I have a project named exp1 and I see a binary in
/home/tim/pi/exp1/Debug/exp1
where the directory pi is my workspace directory. When I go to this directory and type
file exp1
it will show you specific qualities of the binary executable, if exp1 is executable.
Mine is compiling for another architecture, but if you are compiling for your local machine then you would simply type:
./exp1
and it would run. Mine would just say "hello world!!!" using a fresh project from Eclipse. This is the simplest case.

Previous Topic:Custom Types and Compiler Features
Next Topic:Limit depth of include resolving for self-inclusion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 06:05:41 GMT 2024