Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Best Practice for Target Platform Maintenance(Considerations to take into account when dealing with maintenance of target platforms for large software systems.)
Best Practice for Target Platform Maintenance [message #1263108] Tue, 04 March 2014 07:39 Go to next message
Timo Rohrberg is currently offline Timo RohrbergFriend
Hello everybody,

I was thinking and researching already quite a while about a very important question related to the building of large software systems based on the Eclipse Equinox technology: What are the best practices for maintenance of target platforms?

Background: Imagine a large software system being developed and shipped based on the Eclipse Equinox technology and other Eclipse projects. One always needs to set a defined target platform - so far, so good. But how to maintain those target platforms? Should I mirror and archive the used installable units on my own to make sure they still exist in the expected way when the referred Eclipse projects move on but an older version of my software system needs to be maintained? Or should I refer to the official p2 repositories instead?

If mirroring, what's the best approach for it? Downloading and keeping the artifacts under version control referring to directories of contents within my target definitions? Hosting own local p2 repositories within my development team? But then, how to create those p2 repositories? Download them directly, use the Features and Bundles Publisher, or even the Tycho mirror goal?

I would be very interested in your comments and suggestions. How do you guys maintain your target platforms? What are your experiences and are there any best practices you are aware of?

Thanks a lot for your responses...

Cheers
Timo
Re: Best Practice for Target Platform Maintenance [message #1387526 is a reply to message #1263108] Wed, 25 June 2014 07:58 Go to previous message
Boris Brodski is currently offline Boris BrodskiFriend
Hello Timo,

I would manage two p2 repositories

- Mirror of all external (public) artifacts needed for my builds/target platforms/eclipse Oomph-installations
- p2 repository with all my own artifacts (ever built by me)

I don't think, you need some kind of version control on this, since you will (or at least should) never have different artifacts with a same version.

How to create local p2 mirror of public artifacts, that doesn't contains tons of old and unneeded stuff I asked here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/782059/

Cheers,
Boris
Previous Topic:Servlet Listeners support for equinox
Next Topic:servlet-listener and MIME type support for equinox
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:21:31 GMT 2024