Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » How to use hudson tool for automation
How to use hudson tool for automation [message #1261514] Sun, 02 March 2014 18:09 Go to next message
Kanhaiya Agrawal is currently offline Kanhaiya AgrawalFriend
Hello there, hope you are doing well. Recently I came to know about CI server, I found Hudson is one the CI servers out.

Now, the thing is that I'm relatively new to this CI server, I have gained some knowledge about CI servers, why they are used etc, but I am having some issues.

I have installed/deployed Hudson (by java -jar hudson.war command), I am using eclipse for automation script (using Eclipse for development). Now the question is how to add my eclipse project/workspace to Hudson,a simple addition java program" in Eclipse, I want them to move to Hudson server ? How to do it ? I have created a "free style software job" but i don't know the next step .

Sorry for asking such basic questions but I am running out of time. Thanks

Please guide me to run the java project in hudson .How to config hudson for my project.

Please help me !!!!

Thanks in Advance.
Re: How to use hudson tool for automation [message #1261631 is a reply to message #1261514] Sun, 02 March 2014 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Dumont is currently offline Jonathan DumontFriend
Hi,

Can you precise what type of project you want to build and how you currently build it (what kind of scripts are you writing with Eclipse : Ant, Maven, ... ?). Indeed, Hudson allows you to build your project, run tests, code analyser, etc. but each step needs its own configuration. So, to begin you will have to create a free style project, and select how you want to build your project, and when (at fixed time, on SCM poolling, ...)
Re: How to use hudson tool for automation [message #1261956 is a reply to message #1261631] Mon, 03 March 2014 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi ,

I am testing java project and created automation script using testNg framework in eclipse by using Java code. It is working fine with eclipse.

Now i want to run same java script(.java file) in hudson.

It would be helpful if u give me some steps how to use that script in hudson.

you can directly mail me on kanhaiyaagrawal16@gmail.com

Looking to hear you soon !!!!
Re: How to use hudson tool for automation [message #1262076 is a reply to message #1261956] Mon, 03 March 2014 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Dumont is currently offline Jonathan DumontFriend
If I don't make any mistake, TestNG is similar to JUnit, so you want to use Hudson to launch your tests scripts automatically ?

The thing is that Hudson rely on other tools to compile, launch the tests etc. You must configure your project to be able to use a Maven command, an Ant command or event a .bat if you prefer. Once this is done, on your hudson build configuration, you will be able to set the build steps (call Maven, etc.). It seems that TestNG can be integrated in a Maven environment (cf. http://testng.org/doc/maven.html) and I advise you to configure your project this way.
Re: How to use hudson tool for automation [message #1262154 is a reply to message #1262076] Mon, 03 March 2014 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi ,

i have used htmlsuite and it is opening firefox window but the codes is not excuted.It is displaying my java code in browser .

Any update on this issue !!!

thanks for reply.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 March 2014 10:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use hudson tool for automation [message #1262434 is a reply to message #1262154] Mon, 03 March 2014 16:30 Go to previous message
Winston Prakash is currently offline Winston PrakashFriend
Hi Kanhaiya, if you are new to Hudon, I would suggest you to read the free online book on Hudson or you could purchase the latest book on Hudson Continuous Integration in Practice.

Basically you have to do the following

- First set up an SCM and push your code to SCM
- Then tell Hudson (in the Job configuration) about the SCM and your repository
- Next you need to tell Hudson how often it should check you SCM to see if you have pushed new code
- Then tell Hudson what kins of build script it should execute (usually ant, maven, gradle, ivy etc). Note, it does not understand Eclipse project directly (You could use Eclipse buckminster too)
- Hudson checkout the sources from SCM and builds using your build script,
- Now after executing your project Hudson, the junit tests will be available to display
- You need to tell Hudson where to find the test results in the post build section of the job configuration

Write to me at winston DOT prakash AT gmai DOT com, if you still have trouble

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Previous Topic:How to configure hudson job with gradle build tool.
Next Topic:Problem after disk full
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 14:05:42 GMT 2024