Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes( Filling the group box "row first" instead of "column first")
Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1256277] Tue, 25 February 2014 09:12 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
With bug 428899, we are considering to introduce a new property on group box (and maybe other composite fields) to influence the way the child fields are organized (name is not defined yet. I will use "Layout Strategy" in this message)

(current behavior): Layout Strategy == column first
--------------------------------------
    Field01            Field04
    Field02            Field05
    Field03            Field06

(new behavior): Layout Strategy == row first
    Field01            Field02
    Field03            Field04
    Field05            Field06

Proof of concept:
index.php/fa/17563/0/

We need feedback:
* Is it something you want in scout / would use in your project?
* What is the best name for the new Property?
* Comments?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2014 09:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1257300 is a reply to message #1256277] Wed, 26 February 2014 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Jérémie, we would love to see this enhancement! Currently we are placing all our elements using gridX/gridY values to achieve row-first ordering, so this would save us a lot of time, especially in cases where we need to insert/remove fields later.

As to the name, just some ideas:

Property name: Values
LayoutStrategy: Row First / Column First
RowFirstLayout: true / false
Re: Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1258427 is a reply to message #1257300] Thu, 27 February 2014 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
João Rebelo is currently offline João RebeloFriend
Hi Jeremie,

I would even say that this new way would be how I initially expect it to work!

It would be more natural in comparison with the "Grid Layouts" within the usual rendering engines, so would help someone migrating from that technology and even probably help on Scout internal code.

It would be great to have it, and if not by backward compatibility have it by default!

Regards
João
Re: Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1263233 is a reply to message #1258427] Tue, 04 March 2014 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
The horizontal layout will be available with 4.0.0M6.

Furthermore there is a layout debugger available to display all grid cells. Use alt-shift-f2 to get the layout displayed on any form. This feature works currently for SWT/Swing.

index.php/fa/17630/0/

For more description see Bug 428899.

- andreas
  • Attachment: 04.03.jpg
    (Size: 74.63KB, Downloaded 310 times)
Re: Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1263263 is a reply to message #1263233] Tue, 04 March 2014 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Andreas:
Thank you for the update. Really nice to see it is moving forward.
I let some comment on the Gerrit change.

@Urs, João:
There is still work to do.
* Code review
* Testing
* GroupBox Documentation (GroupBox page > properties, maybe a mention in a tutorial? maybe something in the book?)
* Layout debugger Documentation. I think it is an interesting feature. There is an other Spy (alt shift F1) and I am not sure we have any documentation about it.
* Example in one of the Scout Demo applications (maybe MiniCRM Application or Widget Demo Application)

Are you ready to help in one of the domain? If so do not hesitate to discuss it here. We can share the tasks...

@Andreas:
- How are the other composite fields handling the Layout?
- Is RAP on the roadmap? I think it will be relevant for João.
Re: Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1264492 is a reply to message #1263263] Wed, 05 March 2014 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
@Jérémie
We're deep in our project sprints, so I don't think that I'll have much time to work on documentation or examples. However, as I need to test/verify some of the bugs we reported anyway, I'll have a look at this at the same time, so I can do some of the testing.

I've just updated my SDK and runtime to the nightly Luna build to test. This broke most of my "sandbox project" due to the conversion from arrays to list and the typing of CodeTypes, LookupCalls and LookupServices, but I'm making headway with the conversion to the new (and much appreciated) type safety. I'll get back once I've had a chance to run some tests regarding the layout.
Re: Proposal: additional field layout in group boxes [message #1270840 is a reply to message #1264492] Thu, 13 March 2014 16:13 Go to previous message
This new strategy will be available with M6. I created a new section on the "New And Noteworthy" page:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/NewAndNoteworthy/4.0#GroupBox_Layout

In the wiki concepts pages I have:
* improved the GroupBox page (properties).
* created a new page for the different spy functions we provide.

I am happy if I get feedback, review and corrections for what I write in the wiki.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 March 2014 08:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:FileChooser in RAP
Next Topic:Websphere - access datasource in server start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:50:24 GMT 2024