Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » EMF modifying files?
EMF modifying files? [message #1250668] Wed, 19 February 2014 13:21 Go to next message
Tom X is currently offline Tom XFriend
Messages: 6
Registered: February 2014
Junior Member
Dear Eclipse Community members,

On my Eclipse Kepler with Buckminster and SVN, I materialized a big project in my workspace. The problem is that in every project several files (MANIFEST.MF, .genmodel, .ecore, sometimes plugin.xml) get newline characters or more stuff added to them which shows them as dirty edited. Even when using Team->Revert or ->Update to HEAD the dirty edit remains (or the file is hidden auto edited again right after checkout).

On my Eclipse Indigo which I installed Aug 2013 on the same computer those files stay equal and are not edited.

My question would be what is responsible for editing those files right after checkout and if not trivial how to stop it.

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 19 February 2014 14:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1250823 is a reply to message #1250668] Wed, 19 February 2014 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30691
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Comments below.

On 19/02/2014 3:05 PM, Tom X wrote:
> Dear Eclipse Community members,
>
> On my Eclipse Kepler with Buckminster and SVN, I materialized a big
> project in my workspace. The problem is that in every project several
> files (MANIFEST.MF, .genmodel, .ecore, sometimes plugin.xml) get
> newline characters or more stuff added to them which shows them as
> dirty edited. Even when using Team->Revert or ->Update to HEAD the
> dirty edit remains (or the file is hidden auto edited again right
> after checkout).
EMF itself doesn't provide any support for automatically generating
models. It's always something that's done manually, so I know of
nothing that would cause this.

I don't know much about how SVN works, or which OS you're one. I know
with git you can have problems like this (for any file) if somehow the
git repo ends up containing files with windows line ending conventions
in them. Normally git uses \n in the repo and will convert to the
convention you want at the receiving end, if you identify the files as
ones that contain text.
>
> On my Eclipse Juno which I installed Aug 2013 those files stay equal
> and are not edited.
>
> My question would be what is responsible for editing those files right
> after checkout and if not trivial how to stop it.
>
> Thanks
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1250855 is a reply to message #1250823] Wed, 19 February 2014 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom X is currently offline Tom XFriend
Messages: 6
Registered: February 2014
Junior Member
Dear Ed Merks,

Im on Windows 7 64 bit (and using Subclipse). The two installed Eclipse versions do however use the same SVN config file (appdata/...).
Another thing is that not only end of line characters are added/changed, also stuff like
 <extension point="org.eclipse.emf.ecore.generated_package">
      <!-- @generated project -->
      <package
            uri="link removed as I can currently not post links"
            class="org.fortiss.af3.project.model.configuration.ConfigurationPackage"/>
   </extension>

is added to a plugin.xml file.

So my question remains, what is responsible for these changes and how can they be stopped?

Thanks so far!
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1250911 is a reply to message #1250855] Wed, 19 February 2014 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30691
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Comments below.

On 19/02/2014 6:14 PM, Tom X wrote:
> Dear Ed Merks,
>
> Im on Windows 7 64 bit (and using Subclipse). The two installed
> Eclipse versions do however use the same SVN config file (appdata/...).
> Another thing is that not only end of line characters are
> added/changed, also stuff like <extension
> point="org.eclipse.emf.ecore.generated_package">
> <!-- @generated project -->
> <package
> uri="link removed as I can currently not post links"
> class="org.fortiss.af3.project.model.configuration.ConfigurationPackage"/>
> </extension>
> is added to a plugin.xml file.
It does sound like the code is being regenerated, but as I said, EMF
doesn't do that automatically. Maybe you have an Ant task you've
registered? In your GenModel you can set Update Classpath to false and
then the MANIFEST.MF and plugin.xml will never be regenerated again.

That latest version of the generator should always match the linefeed
conventions already in the resource so I don't expect the generator to
modify only line endings.
>
> So my question remains, what is responsible for these changes and how
> can they be stopped?
Do any of these apparently generated changes break something? Are they
not correct/accurate? Is there a problem with committing them?
>
> Thanks so far!
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1250989 is a reply to message #1250668] Wed, 19 February 2014 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom X is currently offline Tom XFriend
Messages: 6
Registered: February 2014
Junior Member
I found the update classpath boolean but as expected its also set to false on the old Eclipse installation.

I cant not demand from you to look at all these files I think. If you want though, I can post them^^ (generate-ecore.xml, .ecore, .genmodel, .plugin.xml, pom.xml, buckminster.cspex, .product, feature.xml, product.ant, ... )

Is there a method to see what exactly changed a file? Maybe we can catch the evildoer this way.

Finally, is there a great guide about Subclipse, Buckminster, Ant and the EMF that (if possible) also covers their connections and how they work together? Would be great to shed light on a topic that is so far impenetrable due to technical language and 300 page documentations.
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1250999 is a reply to message #1250989] Wed, 19 February 2014 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30691
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Comments below.

On 19/02/2014 9:18 PM, Tom X wrote:
> I found the update classpath boolean but as expected its also set to
> false on the old Eclipse installation.
So then the generator itself isn't expected to change such files.
>
> I cant not demand from you to look at all these files I think.
Not without compensation. :-P
> If you want though, I can post them^^ (generate-ecore.xml, .ecore,
> .genmodel, .plugin.xml, pom.xml, buckminster.cspex, .product,
> feature.xml, product.ant, ... )
Not really?
>
> Is there a method to see what exactly changed a file?
No, not unless you run it under debug control
> Maybe we can catch the evildoer this way.
It's still not clear if the changes are evil...
>
> Finally, is there a great guide about Subclipse, Buckminster, Ant and
> the EMF that (if possible) also covers their connections and how they
> work together?
No, but keep in mind that EMF really knows nothing about whatever team
provider you might be using.
> Would be great to shed light on a topic that is so far impenetrable
> due to technical language and 300 page documentations.
Do you have any build.xml that might be kicking off tasks?
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1251098 is a reply to message #1250999] Wed, 19 February 2014 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom X is currently offline Tom XFriend
Messages: 6
Registered: February 2014
Junior Member
Quote:
Not without compensation. Razz


hehe, I can not pay you, Im doing this as a working student.

Quote:
It's still not clear if the changes are evil...


Well, as long as I cant control them they are evil Razz.

Quote:
Do you have any build.xml that might be kicking off tasks?


There is no build.xml in the project. I got very limited experience about these innerworkings, so please forgive me if I say something useless.
I can only repeat that even when reverting the file with team -> revert the dirty edit does not go away (or maybe the file is instantly changed again after download).
In the first place I set Buckminster as target platform, set the SVNkit as SVN interface and used a Buckminster .cquery to materialize the projects in my workspace. There are many custom things in the projects, e.g. 5 builders (Ecore Model Generator, Java Builder, Plug-in Manifest Builder, Extension Point Schema Builder, Generated Source Warnings Remover, Missing builder (org.eclipse.m2e.core.maven2Builder)).

If all of that does not help you, dont be worried, I will learn slowly and maybe in a year I will know whats causing this ^^.
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1251330 is a reply to message #1251098] Thu, 20 February 2014 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30691
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Comments below.

On 20/02/2014 12:02 AM, Tom X wrote:
> Quote:
>> Not without compensation. :p
>
>
> hehe, I can not pay you, Im doing this as a working student.
>
> Quote:
>> It's still not clear if the changes are evil...
>
>
> Well, as long as I cant control them they are evil :p.
>
> Quote:
>> Do you have any build.xml that might be kicking off tasks?
>
>
> There is no build.xml in the project.
Is Auto Build turned on?
> I got very limited experience about these innerworkings, so please
> forgive me if I say something useless.
> I can only repeat that even when reverting the file with team ->
> revert the dirty edit does not go away (or maybe the file is instantly
> changed again after download).
If you have auto build off, and this problem persists, it sounds more
like an SVN problem.
> In the first place I set Buckminster as target platform, set the
> SVNkit as SVN interface and used a Buckminster .cquery to materialize
> the projects in my workspace. There are many custom things in the
> projects, e.g. 5 builders (Ecore Model Generator
So there you go, you have builders. What's the extension point ID?
> , Java Builder, Plug-in Manifest Builder, Extension Point Schema
> Builder, Generated Source Warnings Remover, Missing builder
> (org.eclipse.m2e.core.maven2Builder)).
>
> If all of that does not help you, dont be worried, I will learn slowly
> and maybe in a year I will know whats causing this ^^.
Remove the Ecore Model Generator builder if you don't want that behavior
(not sure who provides one of those) but of course if you ever change
your model you will need to regenerate it and then you will get those
same results. So as I've asked several times, is there something wrong
with the changes that keeps you from committing them? Presumably the
builder produces the same results each time so once you accept that the
latest version of the tools produces the results you see, committing
them will leave you with the result the tool will produce when you use
it manually and will leave you with a state that when you check out,
and the build runs, there are no changes.
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1251484 is a reply to message #1250668] Thu, 20 February 2014 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christophe Bouhier is currently offline Christophe BouhierFriend
Messages: 937
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 19-02-14 15:05, Tom X wrote:
> Dear Eclipse Community members,
>
> On my Eclipse Kepler with Buckminster and SVN, I materialized a big
> project in my workspace. The problem is that in every project several
> files (MANIFEST.MF, .genmodel, .ecore, sometimes plugin.xml) get newline
> characters or more stuff added to them which shows them as dirty edited.
> Even when using Team->Revert or ->Update to HEAD the dirty edit remains
> (or the file is hidden auto edited again right after checkout).

Hi Tom.

I have the same problem on one file (plugin.xml) when working with
Kepler. I never had this in previous releases of Eclipse. I need to
update to git HEAD, as the file get's edited somehow. I think it's a
keppler bug, nothing to do with EMF. I tried to search for a bug,
coudn't find any.

Rgds, Christophe

>
> On my Eclipse Juno which I installed Aug 2013 those files stay equal and
> are not edited.
>
> My question would be what is responsible for editing those files right
> after checkout and if not trivial how to stop it.
>
> Thanks
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1251621 is a reply to message #1251484] Thu, 20 February 2014 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom X is currently offline Tom XFriend
Messages: 6
Registered: February 2014
Junior Member
Quote:
Is Auto Build turned on?


Yes, in both of my Eclipse versions
Quote:

So there you go, you have builders. What's the extension point ID?


This picture is from the main project: http:// imgur.com/UXJlk8X For a reason unknown to me the new installation has more extensions, though it is the same code..
Quote:

Remove the Ecore Model Generator builder if you don't want that behavior


I think I can not do that, dont know if I break anything with this action..

Quote:
So as I've asked several times, is there something wrong
with the changes that keeps you from committing them?


I cant commit the changes, again, because I do not understand them. A commit on such a scale goes way beyond my rank. Im working on small aspects of the program and from time to time upload only the classes I changed manually to the repository. As I wont commit them the changes so far just annoy me (and a fellow worker)

Quote:
I need to
update to git HEAD, as the file get's edited somehow.


Hi Christophe,
as I said, update to HEAD or revert or replace with latest from repository does not erase the dirty edits for me..
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1251639 is a reply to message #1251621] Thu, 20 February 2014 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30691
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Comments below.

On 20/02/2014 1:19 PM, Tom X wrote:
> Quote:
>> Is Auto Build turned on?
>
>
> Yes, in both of my Eclipse versions
> Quote:
>> So there you go, you have builders. What's the extension point ID?
>
>
> This picture is from the main project: http:// imgur.com/UXJlk8X For a
> reason unknown to me the new installation has more extensions, though
> it is the same code..
> Quote:
>> Remove the Ecore Model Generator builder if you don't want that behavior
>
>
> I think I can not do that, dont know if I break anything with this
> action..
So you want auto build, and you want the model generated automatically,
but they you're not willing to accept the results of the generator.
You can't have your cake and eat it too...
>
> Quote:
>> So as I've asked several times, is there something wrong
>> with the changes that keeps you from committing them?
>
>
> I cant commit the changes, again, because I do not understand them.
So you can never use the generator again and should therefore stop using
it and stop it from automatically doing its job.
> A commit on such a scale goes way beyond my rank. Im working on small
> aspects of the program and from time to time upload only the classes I
> changed manually to the repository. As I wont commit them the changes
> so far just annoy me (and a fellow worker)
So contact the responsible parties and explain what's going on, and get
it addressed. Nothing I can say or do here is going to make the problem
go away, especially if you can't do any of the things I suggest...
>
> Quote:
>> I need to
>> update to git HEAD, as the file get's edited somehow.
>
>
> Hi Christophe, as I said, update to HEAD or revert or replace with
> latest from repository does not erase the dirty edits for me..
Because, apparently a builder kicks in and makes the same changes again....
Re: EMF modifying files? [message #1251758 is a reply to message #1251639] Thu, 20 February 2014 15:11 Go to previous message
Tom X is currently offline Tom XFriend
Messages: 6
Registered: February 2014
Junior Member
Wow you are fast! Ok, thank you for your help. I will try to settle this
Previous Topic:EOperation model parameters
Next Topic:open model with validating xml editor
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Dec 11 21:32:38 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02931 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top