Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Load Testing of Business Process(Technique & Tools)
Load Testing of Business Process [message #1249732] Tue, 18 February 2014 15:15 Go to next message
Kunal Suri is currently offline Kunal SuriFriend

Hello,

I would like to get some guidance on any special techniques to test any BP in the stardust BPMS for different Loads.

For e.g. I would like to simulate 10 users simultaneously accessing a business process lets say X with different input data (simplest of cases)

I tried using JMeter Proxy Server tool for this purpose, but was not very successful.

Could you please recommend any way to perform this load testing?

Thanks,
Kunal
Re: Load Testing of Business Process [message #1255564 is a reply to message #1249732] Mon, 24 February 2014 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Hendrik Scheufen is currently offline Jan Hendrik ScheufenFriend

Hi Kunal,

we forwarded this request to our internal team to get some more details on the tools that they use for load testing the Stardust portal. I'll hopefully be able to get back to you on this within a few days.

Meanwhile a quick question: Are you primarily looking to load test the UI layer or do you want to simulate process throughput, i.e. focus on the backend?
If the latter is the case, then you could also programmatically retrieve the manual work items from the users' work lists and simulate user input via the API (WorkflowService.activateAndComplete(...)). This API allows you to complete the work item and send data back into the process; it's the same API that the portal uses when the user clicks on the "Complete" button.

Best,

Jan
Re: Load Testing of Business Process [message #1256325 is a reply to message #1255564] Tue, 25 February 2014 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply!

For now I was looking more into the possibilities of using the UI layer to simulate the process throughput and generating workload so as to give demonstration of the working of Stardust to any person, along with generating the data.

Furthermore, as we are using some API's to pull data form the Audit Trail DB thus I would surely need to create a lot of data for proper testing of my API's in Future. Thus, I feel your pointer on the (WorkflowService.activateAndComplete(...)) API usage would be of good help.

Also, it would be really great for me to get some idea on the ways of using the UI layer for process testing, although I fully appreciate you guys are very busy and I am thankful for all your support Smile

Best Regards,
Kunal
Re: Load Testing of Business Process [message #1256643 is a reply to message #1256325] Tue, 25 February 2014 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rita Tecklenburg is currently offline Rita TecklenburgFriend
Hi Kunal,

as Jan already wrote your question has been forwarded to me. So I take over now will try to help you with your load testing task.

With Stardust we have basically we have three options to test the application under load:

1. via API (e.g. by spring remoting)
2. via the web-service interface
3. via the UI

Option 1. or 2. are the ones that will provide you with load testing results faster and more easy than via UI. To my knowledge Jmeter is suitable for both options as well as any other tool that allows for java calls and implementations.

If you go for option 2.: For example LoadUI in combination with SoapUI is a good choice.

Option 3. is the most difficult and time consuming one, because you have to deal with some special particularities of the UI architecture which is a combination of IceFaces and HTML5.

There are commercial tools claiming that they are assisting to overcome the difficulties especially with IceFaces. I cannot judge or comment on these.

With open source tools you have to deal with some adjustments and in some cases even implement your own solutions.
If you are aiming for this, I will try to provide you with hints and recommendations. But again it will be a time consuming task.

Let me conclude with a question. What has been the problem you faced by using Jmeter?

Kind regards

Rita
Re: Load Testing of Business Process [message #1257368 is a reply to message #1256643] Wed, 26 February 2014 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Rita,

Thanks for your time and explanation on this topic.

We were trying to use Proxy Server in JMeter as we thought that Stardust Portal might use some HTTP requests like POST when we trigger a Process and pass the data, which we might be able to capture through JMeter. But it did not work out well.

Thus, please let us know your comment on the same and if it was possible to use the Proxy Server settings for testing the processes through UI and if we might have gone wrong somewhere?

But as I understood from your explanation, that the UI architecture is more complex and it might be quite difficult and time consuming to test via UI, I feel we can avoid using UI testing and rather use the Option 1 and 2 for testing the Processes.

We normally use SoapUI for testing our webservices and I think it is quite possible to expose the stardust processes as SOAP/Rest services and use it with SoapUI tool?

Hope to hear from you!

Best Regards,
Kunal.
Re: Load Testing of Business Process [message #1258358 is a reply to message #1257368] Thu, 27 February 2014 09:54 Go to previous message
Rita Tecklenburg is currently offline Rita TecklenburgFriend
Hi Kunal,

I am a bit surprised because the Stardust Portal uses HTTP requests like POST indeed. As it is based on IceFaces there are synchronous and asynchronous requests. Functionally the asynchronous part is not much of importance but a proxy will record both. I cannot guess why Jmeter proxy did not do.

A quite nice tool to record these requests is Fiddler2. But it is not a load testing tool as such. We use it as an assisting tool.

What I said above about the synchronous and asynchronous request is one thing that makes testing via the UI complex.

So yes, if you want to go for the web services interface and have experiences with SoapUI that should be easier.

Our functional QA uses SoapUI too. To my knowledge SoapUI is not intended for load testing but the same vendor publishes the tool LoadUI for that purpose. There is an open source version and it has abilities to run SoapUI test cases.

Kind regards

Rita
Previous Topic:Stardust 1.1 logon error
Next Topic:Integrate XML File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:58:20 GMT 2024