Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Standalone Files in Eclipse(Is there any way to work in eclipse without creating a workspace?)
Standalone Files in Eclipse [message #1244188] Wed, 12 February 2014 02:03 Go to next message
Ryan Shanks is currently offline Ryan ShanksFriend
Hi All,

I am learning Java in Eclipse, and I was wondering if there is a way to create and then compile (apologies if that isn't the right word in Java) a .java file on its own.

The reason I ask is because for school, we are required to make many small java applications for practice, and it would seem unnecessary / cumbersome to create a project for each one. It also makes it significantly harder for the teacher to mark, so she would like the small ones be submitted as standalone .java files.

If someone could point me in the right direction for how to do this, that would be great.

Thanks,
Ryan
Re: Standalone Files in Eclipse [message #1244539 is a reply to message #1244188] Wed, 12 February 2014 13:41 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You can open files from the file system in Eclipse, but you can't really work with them like you'll need to without them being in a project.
I suggest you create a project to contain all your class work, and then use Java packages to separate each assignment (eg, com.rshanks.cs101.assignment1). You can always export individual classes or an entire package from Eclipse to submit for grading.
Previous Topic:Have no idea whats Wrong
Next Topic:Custom View Filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 22:43:17 GMT 2024